Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 07:58 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
No one can reasonably deny that there was ''white'' slavery all through history but it targeted enemies or specific groups. Nazi Germany employed slave labor. The Vikings hauled people off into slavery as did the Barbary Pirates...just to scratch the surface. Serfdom was similar to slavery as was the encomienda system used by the Spanish. American Indians and Aztecs kept people in various forms of slavery.

One aspect of ''black'' slavery that made it different (or harsher) at least in parts of the American south, was the rationalisation that blacks were somehow not really as ''human'' as the masters...and that slavery was somehow an improvement on their ''savage'' condition because they found Jesus and learned discipline and how to work. That notion of black inferiority ( in the genetic sense) seems to have gained strength as slavery was increasingly challenged and lingered on among many people after emancipation.
The term "chattel slavery" was applied to black slaves in the American South, effectively creating a class of non-human possessions, legally deprived of nearly all human rights except those granted by the slaveholder, and subject to being bought and sold like any other property.

As I recall, this way of thinking continued in modified form in the U.S. Constitution, which oriiginally specified that slaves were to count as 3/5 humans for the purpose of taxation and the Congressional census.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 11:02 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,275,428 times
Brave New World - I did some further checking. Women were shipped from England to the colonies to be sold as wives. One ad I found advertised women for sale as wives for 120 tonnes of tobacco! Compared to that, my ancestress was better off. At least she had some hope for freedom; the rest had to wait for their husbands to die.

By the way, she was declared to be a woman of low moral character by the courts. Family rumor said she was pregnant by her employer.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:43 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,196 times
Just as I'm not a fan of white guilt, I'm not a fan of white equivocation as it's an offshoot of white guilt (see, we had it bad too...)

There should be no equivocation on this subject.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:50 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Just as I'm not a fan of white guilt, I'm not a fan of white equivocation as it's an offshoot of white guilt (see, we had it bad too...)

There should be no equivocation on this subject.
Why shouldn't any group advocating for resolution of past harm be asked to put their views into historical perspective?

Old 06-10-2016, 07:44 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,182 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
Brave New World - I did some further checking. Women were shipped from England to the colonies to be sold as wives. One ad I found advertised women for sale as wives for 120 tonnes of tobacco! Compared to that, my ancestress was better off. At least she had some hope for freedom; the rest had to wait for their husbands to die.

By the way, she was declared to be a woman of low moral character by the courts. Family rumor said she was pregnant by her employer.

In terms of the Tobacco Brides it refers to women who were sold in 1619 - 1622, and you are talking about a very different era in history.

Tobacco Brides - Wiki

In terms of Women who were pregnant out of wedlock they often ended up in Lunatic Asylums or Magdalene Laundries until they died.

Immorality and post traumatic stress: Reasons patients were admitted to lunatic asylum 1800s | Daily Mail Online

Sin and the single mother: The history of lone parenthood | This Britain | News | The Independent

BBC - A History of the World - Object : Female lunatic dress

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-10-2016 at 08:05 AM..

Old 06-13-2016, 08:40 AM

245 posts, read 132,703 times
This subject interest's me, long time member but I've avoided city data and FB for years now (Just too negative for me) but as someone of mixed race that has an Irish Mother and a Mexican Father, I came out pretty fair skinned so I get lumped in with the white guilt/white privilege bs and it's unfortunate.

Going back to what another poster said about the Irish and whether they teach their children about how bad some of their ancestors had it, I can say in my humble opinion NO they don't. Read any news on Ireland lately? They too are being forced to give away their culture to massive immigration.

I find it funny and even my mother often mentions to me how in a not so long span of time the Irish went from being oppressed themselves to now selling out their homeland under the guise of PC, not a left vs right issue as I certainly don't like either one right now, I'm just curious how the F did the Irish let that happen to them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates