Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2016, 09:29 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,319,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
of course you can have the opinions. just keep them to yourself.
Wrong. I have an opinion, I'm going to express it--tastefully, but I'm going to express it. Don't like it--TOUGH. Get over it, or get another job in a darkroom somewhere where the public can't see you (if they even still have "darkrooms").

I mean, seriously. We're not talking about guys being sleazy shouting tasteless come-ons from the construction site. We're talking about a COMPLIMENT, tastefully and gently delivered, and most of us guys when told "not interested" or "whatever" or upon being told "thanks, my husband says the same thing" are going to get the point without any hard feelings and aren't going to be all threatening or call such a woman ugly names. Yes some guys do these things and it's wrong, I agree. But gee whiz, a simple compliment gets someone's garments all in a bunch? Get over yourself, you're being completely ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 09:37 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Wrong. I have an opinion, I'm going to express it--tastefully, but I'm going to express it. Don't like it--TOUGH. Get over it, or get another job in a darkroom somewhere where the public can't see you (if they even still have "darkrooms").

I mean, seriously. We're not talking about guys being sleazy shouting tasteless come-ons from the construction site. We're talking about a COMPLIMENT, tastefully and gently delivered, and most of us guys when told "not interested" or "whatever" or upon being told "thanks, my husband says the same thing" are going to get the point without any hard feelings and aren't going to be all threatening or call such a woman ugly names. Yes some guys do these things and it's wrong, I agree. But gee whiz, a simple compliment gets someone's garments all in a bunch? Get over yourself, you're being completely ridiculous.
Well, that rather says EXACTLY what we have been saying.

If we don't take a man's compliment, then there are enough situations that have changed to being hostile, hurtful.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:02 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,863,612 times
A 2014 study found that 65% of US women had experienced street harassment.
National Street Harassment Report | Stop Street Harassment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Street Harassment
Gender-based street harassment is unwanted comments, gestures, and actions forced on a stranger in a public place without their consent and is directed at them because of their actual or perceived sex, gender, gender expression, or sexual orientation.
If a national organization and survey describe street harassment as "Unwanted comments...forced on a stranger in a public place without their consent...because of their....gender..." then anyone should think twice before making a comment about someone's appearance if you do not know that person.

What's wrong with saying that a girl is pretty? If your comment is unwanted ~ to a stranger ~ in a public place, you are harassing her. While you may have a right to free speech about someone else's body/body part, is it so important that you risk making them uncomfortable and fearful?

Old 05-20-2016, 10:10 AM

34 posts, read 27,622 times
LOL I think you knew the answer before you asked! In US, the kingdom of the emancipated female, "pretty" is low enough to get you a smack. Other places like Asia, I can say it and she is going to think I really like her --whether I do or not. The answer is almost a universal one, just give a brief sincere smile which means you noticed her and approve and simply move on. If she wants to make something positive out of it, she will.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:13 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,255,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post

it shouldn't be that hard to refrain from commenting on a woman's appearance. but ok, if you want to express it, you can.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:14 AM

226 posts, read 382,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
As for me, due to all the PC garbage these days, I just keep my comments to myself, smile and try and be pleasant to everyone. Every compliment is a potential lawsuit. Sadly.
That's not being "PC", it's being a well-behaved human being.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:24 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,239,538 times
There is nothing wrong with saying a women is pretty but now a days you have to be really careful that "woman" could actually be a dude!

Old 05-20-2016, 11:29 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
I see that point, but it wasn't the 'debate'.

I was referring to the original post and not the rabbit trails some people took it down.

So if you are offended by my post, meh. It wasn't intended that way.

Not offended in the least. Just felt like adding my perspective to the conversation.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:31 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,761,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardot View Post
That's not being "PC", it's being a well-behaved human being.
-PC is having to watch what you say for fear of someone twisting it into something other than it is.

-A well behaved human says thank you when complimented.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:31 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
A 2014 study found that 65% of US women had experienced street harassment.
National Street Harassment Report | Stop Street Harassment

If a national organization and survey describe street harassment as "Unwanted comments...forced on a stranger in a public place without their consent...because of their....gender..." then anyone should think twice before making a comment about someone's appearance if you do not know that person.

What's wrong with saying that a girl is pretty? If your comment is unwanted ~ to a stranger ~ in a public place, you are harassing her. While you may have a right to free speech about someone else's body/body part, is it so important that you risk making them uncomfortable and fearful?
How do you, or the pretentiously titled organization you quote, know that all these women weren't whistled at by the same group of guys? And frankly, I'm not even convinced that 65% of US women have access to sidewalks. This kind of statistic is almost always heavily skewed to dense urban areas like New York. Out here where I live, you could walk down the street in a two-piece swimsuit, and no one would say a word. Unless you're a guy.

There are actually huge swaths of America where folks are well-behaved and slow to anger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates