Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 05:50 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,242,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Nice try,
has never happened and if it did, it wouldn't bother me. I'm not afraid that "it is contagious" by talking to them.
I wasn't "trying" anything, other than trying to pose the same question from a different different.

It's common for the type of male who sends out the most unexpected and unwelcome "compliments" to be wildly homophobic, but I'm glad that isn't you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 06:40 PM

22,839 posts, read 6,435,820 times
Saying a girl is pretty....At a family gathering years ago my then teenaged sons
told a female cousin they had never met before that she was pretty..Her response...
"I know"....

Old 05-18-2016, 09:11 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
Has it ever happened to you?
See post #28

Old 05-19-2016, 03:47 AM

105 posts, read 95,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
I can't believe that someone would think that is ok, if that happened to me I would tell them to go eff themselves.
ugh, ever worked in retail??

Old 05-19-2016, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I'm having difficulty understanding what harm is experienced by a woman when she receives a compliment on her appearance. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most women spend considerable time and money on looking as attractive as possible? And aren't men who acknowledge the success of their efforts deserving of civility rather than contempt?

The number of women in this thread whose default reaction to others seems to be bitterness is remarkable to me. Are they really that offended?
This is exactly what the media does to people..programs them into these gender roles then makes you apologize if you don't buy into it..I don't wear makeup(and that doesn't mean I don't care about my looks,either)but I get your point, however I think the point is that if a women is wearing makeup, looks nice, has her hair done..she's doing it for herself first and foremost and may not be comfortable with a compliment and that's ok too..its not up to you to decide how someone feels based on something that you say, that is part of the deal-freedom of speech is a privilege and you are responsible for what you say..if you're not a woman you may never get it- but we have to approach things with caution.

I am a firm believer in accepting compliments gracefully, but I have had married men at work who were probably just trying to be nice and without meaning to (but still against their better judgement)put me in awkward situations, now I don't work in a hostile environment, but when a married man comments on your physical appearance..it makes you think twice about how to respond..you have to worry about encouraging someone,etc. and by the way..how do you know someone is going to interpret what you are saying as a compliment?

"you have nice teeth"..probably the most genuine compliment and most appreciated one I have received!

Last edited by cowbirdcat; 05-19-2016 at 04:44 AM..

Old 05-19-2016, 04:02 AM

I work in retail and get annoyed when people ask personal questions, or men try to flirt..it doesn't happen too often, but I think that people who force customer service employees to engage with them inappropriately are socially awkward and lack class..They know you have to be pleasant with everyone and they are insecure and use your presence as an excuse to control. It's funny when other nearby customers who witness it look at me and roll their eyes for me..

Last edited by cowbirdcat; 05-19-2016 at 04:32 AM..

Old 05-19-2016, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
Saying a girl is pretty....At a family gathering years ago my then teenaged sons
told a female cousin they had never met before that she was pretty..Her response...
"I know"....
right..you're either a prude and unappreciative or a **** and arrogant..

Old 05-19-2016, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious1 View Post
Really? You're offended by that? You warrant the statement "beautiful people have no personality".
this is such a cop out response..What's wrong with expecting others to treat you with respect? That just makes me self-respecting, not lacking personality..your comment states that all "pretty" people must respond positively to attention and therefore you are assuming everyone should like/want attention..Obviously people are going to say whatever they want but why assume someone needs your approval? We live in a society now where everyone must "like" everything, its due to social media in my opinion..Where does this need to vaguely approve everything come from,though? I'm not a facebook page and I don't really care what you think, what you like..and no, we're not friends

Old 05-19-2016, 04:33 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
http://qklnk.co/BBXvRa (contains harsh language)

George Takei linked to this just yesterday. What a coincidence. I bet nearly every woman has experienced this. A stranger compliments us, and when we do not acknowledge it to his satisfaction, the compliment becomes an insult or threat. On every single thread about this topic, women are told to be more receptive, more pleasant, then warned that we are bitter, ugly hags if we don't and should be grateful for the attention.

Context matters. A woman you know may enjoy a compliment very much. A stranger ... use caution and discretion.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:05 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,428,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
of course you don't have to refrain from comments. just know that it is not received well.

have you ever had someone comment on your looks out of nowhere and unprovoked?
Sure have. On the odd occasion when it was a favorable comment I assumed it was meant as a compliment and took it that way. What's the big deal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates