Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2016, 03:51 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
There is also a difference between despising children and despising childhood. I despised childhood, it sucked. It sucked having an underdeveloped brain. It sucked not being able to understand complex concepts. It sucked not being able to reason. It sucked not having the ability to manage one's own life and schedule. It sucked not have the legal freedoms most adults take for granted. It sucked not being able to drive. It sucked having a curfew.
Brilliant words! I couldn't agree more. Repped.

That's one of the reasons I'm childfree, actually. Childhood is very unpleasant, and it'd be wrong of me to put an innocent person through it (by bringing them into this world). Especially in today's society, where boys get the police called on them for biting a piece of cheese into the shape of a Colt-45. Then there are the limitations AtkinsonDan pointed out.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 07-11-2016 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: explanation added.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 04:36 PM

9,100 posts, read 6,321,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I just LOVED my childhood, for the record; in fact, I'm fond of saying that I had one of the last great childhoods. The "go find something to do, or I'll find you something, and you won't like it," playing-outdoors-running-around-the-neighborhood-from-dawn-to-dusk type of childhood. It made good kids.
I don't disagree with you at all. Especially in the past, I'm sure there existed places where childhood could be enjoyed. I would believe most of them were in rural areas where the great outdoors provided food and fodder for a child's vivid imagination.

I grew up in a dense east coast suburb where no matter where you went you were under the direct or indirect supervision of authority figures: other parents, police, teachers, church people, etc. This was 30+ years ago. I imagine it is much worse now with 'security' everywhere. When I was kid there was Atari, Coleco-vision and Sega Genesis but if the video game capabilities of today existed back then I never would have gone outside. Why deal with crabby neighbors, suspicious store employees and holier than thou churchgoers when you have video games with awesome graphics in the comfort of your own home. I think the urban/suburban world sucks for children, no wonder many of them pick the video games.

Old 07-11-2016, 04:46 PM

9,100 posts, read 6,321,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Brilliant words! I couldn't agree more. Repped.

That's one of the reasons I'm childfree, actually. Childhood is very unpleasant, and it'd be wrong of me to put an innocent person through it (by bringing them into this world). Especially in today's society, where boys get the police called on them for biting a piece of cheese into the shape of a Colt-45. Then there are the limitations AtkinsonDan pointed out.
I never would have thought that the prolific use of the phrase 'it sucks' would garner the response 'brilliant words' but nonetheless, thank you! I figured that a few people would identify with the deeper meaning. Like you, I would feel emotional discomfort subjecting another soul/spirit to childhood in urbanized western civilization. Why bring a soul into something that has become soulless?

Old 07-11-2016, 04:52 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,510,442 times
I remember when I was a kid seeing "adults only" swinging '70s apartment complexes and I couldn't wait to grow up and move into one. They should bring them back, not just for the 65 and older crowd. When I was a renter, that was always the first question I asked. There's no way I want to live around a bunch of screaming children or crying babies.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:48 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Like you, I would feel emotional discomfort subjecting another soul/spirit to childhood in urbanized western civilization. Why bring a soul into something that has become soulless?
The urban world would actually be a decent place to grow up, if it weren't for the danger factor. That's how it is in many parts of the world outside the US. The entire city, not just the rubber-padded park down the block, is the kids' playground. It's today's suburban world that's become a god-awful place to be a kid. No need to explain how so. After all, this site is called City Data, not Suburb Data.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:17 AM

1,347 posts, read 945,918 times
Not having control over so many aspects of one's life is definitely a disadvantage of childhood. I could not wait to be an adult so I could run my own life. I try to be mindful of that when my own kid throws a tantrum or acts out, recognizing that he's just trying to exert some measure of control over his existence.

I also feel for today's intensely over-scheduled kids. I participated in various activities when I was a kid (after-school clubs, 4-H, Girl Scouts, eventually worked at McD's as a teenager, etc), but somehow I still managed to spend vast amounts of time sitting around in my room listening to the radio after school and on weekends. I wasn't being carted around 24/7. No wonder today's kids just want to retreat and take a breather when they're not rushing off to or participating in the next activity.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:44 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,341,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
I also feel for today's intensely over-scheduled kids. I participated in various activities when I was a kid (after-school clubs, 4-H, Girl Scouts, eventually worked at McD's as a teenager, etc), but somehow I still managed to spend vast amounts of time sitting around in my room listening to the radio after school and on weekends. I wasn't being carted around 24/7. No wonder today's kids just want to retreat and take a breather when they're not rushing off to or participating in the next activity.
Do they really? Are they really as active as you think?

Something tells me that kids aren't anywhere near as active as they used to be. I remember (and I'm only 30!) going home / staying home to be equivalent to a punishment. I didn't want to stay home at all, and the only time I would be home is after dark which is when I'd bring up the video games.

Old 07-12-2016, 03:59 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,389,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
What has always puzzled me is the people that dislike children were once children themselves.
Does that mean they disliked their former selves?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Why are you upset that some people don't like kids? Do you normally live or die by whether other people agree with your point of view on things?
Where did I say I was upset???????????????

I said I was puzzled by it.

No one has to agree with my point of view!

Old 07-12-2016, 04:42 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
I happen to be one who openly admits to disliking children.

I also dislike dogs. I think the reasons I dislike dogs and children are related ever so slightly. Dogs to me are like toddlers that never grow up.

I am an extreme minority and I acknowledge this. People will always question why I dislike children and my reasons are always the same. They're typically loud, annoying, needy, sloppy etc etc. (kind of like dogs!)

Are you kidding me ? I have seen better behaved dog and or animals than some people .

Old 07-13-2016, 06:32 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,341,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Are you kidding me ? I have seen better behaved dog and or animals than some people .
I've seen well behaved dogs and well behaved children. Exceptions always exist!

I still dislike dogs generally, and dislike children generally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates