Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 07:14 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,897,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Yes, fiction is fiction.TV does actually showcase people with disabilities, which is a blessing and a curse. The double ATK amputee on Dancing with the stars , is a good example. He's it's inspirational to see someone like that, but it can also lead people to believe that all people with such disabilities are capable of reaching such levels. It just ain't so.Such cases are rare exceptions, not the rule.

Thus, among manga people, there can be a tendency to expect more out of someone with a disability than they can realistically do. It's like, "just look at (insert a case here like the aforementioned dancer or that Blade runner guy from S Africa) , well, we can't all be them. In terms of employability, many , not all but enough to be.discouraging, employers would not hire a disabled person unless they meet such a standard. Especially with health insurance being what it is, coupled with preconceptions as to lostwork time etc. It's no cakewalk being disabled, even being high functioning.
I do think unrealistic expectations is one of the bigger problems resulting from inaccurate media coverage. Another related issue is a severe lack of invisibly disabled people depicted by the media and possibly 0 in scripted programming. That, coupled with discussions of rampant disability fraud and prescription drug abuse, gets some disabled people treated unfairly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 11:44 AM

I saw this and realized it's sort of why mainly successful disabled people are the media's focus.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias

Then I realized I'd forgot to post about some facts that the mainstream media ignores:
The employment rate is very low - Persons with a Disability: Labor Force Characteristics Summary
Suicide is possibly epidemic for disabled males (sorry, no stats, apparently because there are none)
The marriage rate is greatly reduced - https://thesocietypages.org/families...-data-edition/ - with I think disabled men being significantly less likely to marry (can't find that study) - and the divorce rate is elevated - Disability Leads To Divorce? The Data is Daunting

A Gleeful life is unlikely for a disabled person.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:20 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,065,069 times
Well, TV certainly shows enough people with morbid obesity "disability." Way too many for my taste.

Old 08-01-2016, 02:21 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,409,787 times
I have a huge problem with the way that people with mental conditions are portrayed in the media. They would lead you to believe that people with MI are one episode away from shooting up a public place or somesuch violence, when the truth is that people with MI are more likely to be victims of violence.

I don't see a lot of people on TV with physical disabilities, but I remember Geri from The Facts Of Life and Corky from Life Goes On. So there's that.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:04 PM

13,345 posts, read 7,373,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with that. I think it's more than likely that people worry if we will cause a disruption/endanger someone or at the very least incapable of doing what we are supposed to do.
As a person who is in the middle of the spectrum, my neurotypical side says that if an employer were to become aware of my spatial issues they would worry I wouldn't be able to do my job at all or at best constantly have to hold my hand. It's still an unfair assumption but it would seem logical that that is what employers think about.
As far as endangering, regular people hear autistic or a similar label and think dangerously defiant because that's what the stereotype says.
My personal experience being married to someone who walked extremely awkward looking was people stared at her and it's different then someone who has a disability which is easy to hide. My employer has about 6000 employees I work in 2 buildings for last 15 years with about 3/4 of those 4000 employees I can count on one hand how many disabled people I met there who were in wheel chairs or were walking disabled. They did have 2 deaf people for 4-5 years both were never promoted and quit. I never see any 60 minute story's or cnn stories on this subject.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
I have a huge problem with the way that people with mental conditions are portrayed in the media. They would lead you to believe that people with MI are one episode away from shooting up a public place or somesuch violence, when the truth is that people with MI are more likely to be victims of violence.

I don't see a lot of people on TV with physical disabilities, but I remember Geri from The Facts Of Life and Corky from Life Goes On. So there's that.
Geri was a fairly accurate character, I vaguely recall (but I only watched as a kid).

I remembered the Ironside remake, another example I suppose of the near-trope of people in wheelchairs from accidents but no chronic pain. In the real world, I think that's unlikely.

I also thought of a British show I've only heard of, Coronation Street, featuring a character with MS (could be wrong about that) in a wheelchair played by a woman with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome who uses a wheelchair. Supposedly it's a rather realistic depiction.

Back to post #1, there are mentally challenged characters on TV, the Down's Syndrome trend. (Yes, I mean that with some disdain. Loveable idiots almost, objectifying and cloying.)
Inspirationally Disadvantaged - TV Tropes

Then there's Dr. House. Not that I've watched that either, but I've heard enough about him to think that at least it's accurate enough as a depiction of someone with disabling chronic pain and a self-medication problem - but like I said about a week ago, most chronic pain patients are not drug addicts and therefore it helps spread a dangerous misimpression.

There are TV shows about 'little people' (usually disabled, huh?) that seem realistic to me, but meh I don't bother with reality TV.

Last edited by goodheathen; 08-02-2016 at 01:10 AM..

Old 08-02-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post

Back to post #1, there are mentally challenged characters on TV, the Down's Syndrome trend. (Yes, I mean that with some disdain. Loveable idiots almost, objectifying and cloying.)
Inspirationally Disadvantaged - TV Tropes
I was just taking out the trash and was thinking about this thread. I just read that article, and it is spot-on. This is going to be VERY non-pc, and I say this as someone with a relative that has Down's, as well as an ex-fiance whose brother is severely mentally disabled. The media just portrays the upsides of the mentally challenged character, like you said. Never have I ever on a TV show seen one of these characters display what we refer to as - again, NOT pc, "r****d strength", which, well, happens IRL.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I do think unrealistic expectations is one of the bigger problems resulting from inaccurate media coverage. Another related issue is a severe lack of invisibly disabled people depicted by the media and possibly 0 in scripted programming. That, coupled with discussions of rampant disability fraud and prescription drug abuse, gets some disabled people treated unfairly.
Dagnabbit, I have repped too many times in the last 24 hours.

I agree with what you say about the invisibly disabled, but I am not sure how they/we can be accurately portrayed in TV programs and movies. My mom has TBI and she forgets things. She will also be doing something like holding a fork, spontaneously drop it, and start cursing. Not sure that that would be too terribly exciting to watch. And a lot of us go out of our way to appear normal to other people so that we can dispel some of the myths perpertuated in TV and in the movies. Would be interesting though.

Old 08-02-2016, 04:08 PM

20,770 posts, read 20,013,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post

I work as a teacher, and my students are pretty heavily influenced by the media concerning what they believe. Often, they are very quick to stereotype and judge their peers if they are acting in an odd way. Calling each other "retarded" and "stupid" are very mean things to say to one another, and I don't think my students realize that, but apparently something in their culture has taught them that this kind of behavior is okay or perhaps it was never addressed at all.
It is not the medias responsibilty to teach children anything.

That's YOUR job and the parents job.

When I went to high school, one day we had a field trip to a home for physical and mentally disabled people. They lived there and did some wood work and stuff, too. We were all very quiet once we left and it left a strong impression on us for a while.

Seing Tom Cruise in a wheel chair or watching Rain Man won't teach children much.

Old 08-02-2016, 04:21 PM

(swgirl926) Meanwhile, ironically, I'm not allowed to rep you [it will happen, if I remember after it's eligible]

I think the kind of not-so-likeable mentally-challenged character you're hoping for would only work in a cable documentary (not really a "character") or R-rated programming. My impression, from a few clips, is that a Julianne Moore character in a movie about Alzheimer's was like that. Just a character who sometimes needs physical assistance is doable for a TV series, but apparently it hasn't been done. I bet that many physically disabled sighted people watch more than their share of TV and want more realistic depictions on the screen.

Also, wasn't there a sitcom where a grandma character was at least both unofficially demented and salty? Yeah! (I'm good at remembering things I only saw bits of.) Cloris Leachman in a show called Raising Hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates