Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 05:38 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,574 times

Advertisements

Do you agree or disagree that the media doesn't portray enough disabled people or doesn't portray them accurately? Interview the average person, and he can probably tell you way more about the struggle of gays, women, or other minority groups because of the media than they can about the very real discrimination that takes place between the able and disabled. For example, how many actors in wheelchairs do you see on TV? How many blind or deaf people do you see who are gainfully employed? How many people with highly functioning developmental disorders or mild autism do you see breaking the silence and admitting their disabilities to society?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 09:01 AM

436 posts, read 521,402 times
What's this about? Dont really understand.

We have a member of our extended family who has two major disabilities and is highly successful both from a social and monetary standpoint. He just powered through and is now laughing it off.

You want to see Tom Cruise in a wheelchair?

Old 07-10-2016, 03:59 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,368,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjmars View Post
What's this about? Dont really understand.

We have a member of our extended family who has two major disabilities and is highly successful both from a social and monetary standpoint. He just powered through and is now laughing it off.

You want to see Tom Cruise in a wheelchair?
That movie was done... "Born on the Fourth of July." It's true that the male and/or female lead rarely have disabilities in movies, unless the film actually centres around a character's struggles with a disability.

Disabilities are almost never shown in a casual way, like, hey, this character is a private detective who incidentally needs to use leg braces. Even supporting characters seldom have a disability. Unless, again, the focus is on their struggle with a disability. It does happen occasionally... like the dinner host in "Notting Hill" who happens to use a wheelchair. Boy, it's rare, though.

But that's Hollywood. Reality doesn't apply very often... Actors and their characters are unusually fit, blonde, fashionable, successful, affluent, and have no shortage of free time to spare in the movies. I guess the presence of disabilities would detract from that fantasy world.

Old 07-10-2016, 05:31 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,387,704 times
The media doesn't portray anything accurately.

Old 07-10-2016, 05:52 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
OMG who cares. Do people really get bothered by this.

Old 07-10-2016, 06:10 PM

13,262 posts, read 7,312,118 times
I agree disabled people are heavily discriminated against my ex-wife was disabled walked with a bad limp due to birth defect. She had a masters degree from a very high end school and was turned down by several jobs even after 3-4 phone interviews once they saw her in person they changed their minds. I don't know why but it's almost a fear of disabled people I think people worry in their own minds if they are around disabled people they will become like that. I know this because one interviewer she had the manager was in such shock about her disability she could not get off the subject just kept asking about it. A co-worker who was born with CP walks with an extreme limp has a degree from penn state in Business Administration he is a secretary makes $14 an hour I have heard his manager make fun of the fact his admin has more education then him they call him wobbly goblin and gimp. I never see news media do any story's on this subject.

Old 07-10-2016, 06:30 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
The media doesn't portray anything accurately.
That is what I was going to say! It doesn't matter if it is news, documentaries, or entertainment. It is ALL slanted to portray what the director or producer wants it to portray.
You will never change it in any meaningful way, so you might as well learn to deal with it.

Old 07-10-2016, 06:53 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
The media actively discriminates against ugly people. When did you last see a very ugly female news anchor? Or even a male one?

I think I saw one once. I changed the channel.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:02 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
There was a member of the Burger King kids club who was in a wheelchair.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:11 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,368,091 times
Anyone else here seen the image floating around the web showing all the blonde news anchors hired by Fox over the years? Hilarious, or it would be, if it weren't for the fact that it's true... some of them probably looked like normal people once, when they started out in journalism, but then they got a blonde makeover for their mass media debut on TV. This is what the media is today, in 2016. Hasn't changed much since Hollywood's golden era in the 1930's-50s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates