Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 04:31 PM

696 posts, read 906,537 times

Advertisements

I got a prescription for a cream, and it was filled with a generic version that was made in India. This bothered me since I have heard from a youtuber who travels around the world and has been to 106 countries that India is the dirtiest country he has ever visited. Today I read a BBC article that says that 50% of Indian people do not use toilets and poop in open fields. Do we really want these people to go to factories that make prescription medication that we use in the US? I think that the FDA should ban prescription medication from India.

From the article:

"Even where toilets have been built, many do not use them, despite the spread of diseases associated with faeces. Last year, Unicef estimated that about half the population of India do not use toilets."

Last edited by tar21; 08-20-2017 at 05:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 04:38 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,702,343 times
And in the U.S., at least one-third of the country doesn't wash its hands properly after going to the bathroom. Does that mean your American medicines have a good chance of being contaminated?

Old 08-20-2017, 05:15 PM

17 posts, read 29,362 times
I'm laughing. I'm not sure of the percentage, but I'd bet if the FDA "banned" those medicines, we'd be digging mass graves for all!

Old 08-20-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Burke View Post
I'm laughing. I'm not sure of the percentage, but I'd bet if the FDA "banned" those medicines, we'd be digging mass graves for all!
Are you joking? If they weren't made in India they would be made in the US or another country. They are generic drugs and can be made anywhere. They make them in India so they can pay there workers peanuts and charge Americans $800 per pill.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:26 PM

50,925 posts, read 36,618,843 times
Many more of our medicines are made in China than in India. China, home of the poison dog food scare of a few years ago. I think India is more advanced in terms of medicine. You can't go by the dirty areas anymore than here. If you go to a bathroom in Compton, California, you might have rats in there with you, but that hardly means it's not safe to ingest medicines made in California. I'm quite sure they are making the drugs in a sterile lab in a modern pharmaceutical factory, not under a tent on the streets of Calcutta.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Many more of our medicines are made in China than in India. China, home of the poison dog food scare of a few years ago. I think India is more advanced in terms of medicine. You can't go by the dirty areas anymore than here. If you go to a bathroom in Compton, California, you might have rats in there with you, but that hardly means it's not safe to ingest medicines made in California. I'm quite sure they are making the drugs in a sterile lab in a modern pharmaceutical factory, not under a tent on the streets of Calcutta.
I think we should ban generic drugs from both china and india. I have not to my knowledge ever gotten a medicine from china, but more and more are being made in india. In addition to the hygiene, there have been reports of fake medicines and medicine without the proper purity or potency from china and india being sold in the US.

Such as stated here from india: https://www.statnews.com/pharmalot/2...fety-generics/

Old 08-20-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It's crazy to compare compton, to a place where people **** in the streets and certainly don't wash their hands after either.

Old 08-20-2017, 07:03 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,477,899 times
No. Because our pharmaceutical system is so f-cked up.

Four years ago I had a life threatening lung infection. There is only one antibiotic that can cure this. I was taking it but am on a Medicare drug plan and was rapidly approaching the "doughnut hole." The nearer you get the more out of pocket you pay until you pay it all. Then the insurance doesn't kick back in until you've paid a huge amount.

This drug, btw, cost $15,000 for a thirty day supply. I needed two pills a day. That made it $30,000 a month. While the insurance was paying a part I was putting my portion on my VISA.

So because of my being on Medicare and also being low income the drug company said I could have this drug at no cost. Yay, I thought. Then I got my first bottle direct from the manufacturer. The pills looked the same but the bottle looked very different. The label said the meds were made in India.

So I was between a rock and a hard place. Take a chance on pills from a country made in an unsafe place or not take pills and die. Great choice. I took the pills and didn't die.

When you're in that situation you can't afford the luxury of being choosey. Besides, who really knows where any of their prescriptions really come from?

Old 08-20-2017, 07:37 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,445,068 times
My doctor has actually recommended getting medications from India to patients who don't have insurance or whose insurance doesn't cover a necessary medication.

More dangerous to not take a necessary med than get it from India. And the Indian medical practice is actually pretty good, especially for "rich" Americans. Many people are actually flying there to have surgery. $10,000 in India is like $100,000 here. So people who can't afford procedures here can have them done there for much less money. And since that is considered a ton of money in India, they usually get top-notch care.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...lumn/97056938/

Old 08-20-2017, 07:39 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,939,340 times
The FDA does inspect foreign pharmaceutical manufacturing plants to ensure that they meet FDA standards. When I worked in Switzerland (okay, not India) one of my Pharma clients was regularly inspected by them.

This link might be helpful:

https://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/Transpa.../ucm194989.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates