Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 02:54 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times

Advertisements

There is an old adage that goes, "If a dog bites a man, it isn't news. But if a man bites a dog, THAT IS NEWS !"

Likewise, many more blacks die at the hands of other blacks than vice versa, but that ain't newsworthy, just another day in the neighborhood. Now, if a white kills one, that gets attention.

Just the way it is in the news media business.

Don

Old 09-10-2016, 03:13 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,444,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Typical elitist crap. Who gives a **** about grammar, eloquence or sentence structure on an internet forum? Blacks kill each other at 10x the rate that whites do. What is your opinion of the way the media handles it?

I'm reminded of what Mark Twain said, "There are lies, damn lies, and then..there are statistics."

10 times the rate? I'll take your word for that stat--I guess.

But I think you'll find, that crime, especially violent crime, has a lot more to do with poverty..and and blighted areas of population. Yes, a disproportionate number of African-Americans live in those areas--and there is culture of violence and distrust--that may be a long time in changing.

As far as the media is concerned..if it bleeds..it leads. In America's inner-cities, Black on Black crime is a staple. In fact, so much so, that people are jaded and the media sometimes looks for other things to capture their interest and improve viewer/reader share.

The national media is not going to cover what it considers 'mundane' local stuff.

Police killing unarmed Black people, however, is news.

Old 09-10-2016, 04:13 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,243,761 times
Quote:
Yet, police shootings are national news. Why?
Because clearly its a problem......the state is murdering people......and to be frank whites are murdered almost wholey by other whites and yet you dont question why its not national news....do you argue that the black community has not in the past united via different mediums and addressed your issue?? How about the Stop The Violence movement?? I implore you to do some research to help educate yourself. Im sure I can educate you on local news in the three cities in which I split my time. just as you can educate me as to the crimes in your municipality...hopefully

Old 09-10-2016, 05:58 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Crystal meth is an awful problem amongst white middle Americans.

Is that statement a smear on white middle Americans?
If all you ever post is that, over and over and over again, then yes, I think it is.

If you develop an actual discussion of practical steps to tackle the issue -- without talking down to or at people -- no, that's potentially productive.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:28 PM

4 posts, read 7,921 times
The original thread was a question about the media coverage. It seems to me no one wants to directly talk about the problems but only to deflect to others. There is a problem that needs facing. In our prayer group with people who love each other and admire each other even, race is a subject we can not discuss. If we as personal friends can't discuss it how can the media take it on?

Old 09-10-2016, 06:36 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judeanew View Post
The original thread was a question about the media coverage. It seems to me no one wants to directly talk about the problems but only to deflect to others. There is a problem that needs facing. In our prayer group with people who love each other and admire each other even, race is a subject we can not discuss. If we as personal friends can't discuss it how can the media take it on?
Interesting.

Is it a mixed race prayer group?

You've tried discussing such issues? What happened?

Old 09-10-2016, 06:41 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,588,852 times
Do something about rap music and i bet half those murders go away. Unfortunately a lot of black youth like to emulate what they hear and see in rap music. 99% of rap music has lyrics about killing and drug selling etc... and 99% of blacks listen to it.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Interesting.

Is it a mixed race prayer group?

You've tried discussing such issues? What happened?
Yes it is a mixed race prayer group. We all love God but we have a different world view. I didn't know it would be so hard to bring everyone into a Kingdom mindset. It seems most people come into the race conversation with predjudice. That is the crux of the matter I think.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Do something about rap music and i bet half those murders go away. Unfortunately a lot of black youth like to emulate what they hear and see in rap music. 99% of rap music has lyrics about killing and drug selling etc... and 99% of blacks listen to it.
I agree. When you are angry about a perceived or real injustice it has to come out somehow. Unfortunately it just fuels the anger and does nothing about the issues.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:04 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
Sounds fine to me. Maybe that would help. Is that how white on white murder was eliminated? Oh wait...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates