Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 12:03 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,768,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post

The people in checkout lines that irk me the most are...

A: The ones who pay with a check and take forever to make it out
B: The ones who pay with cash or card and don't have it handy when the cashier is ready for it (or they take forever to count out change)
C: The ones who want to argue about EVERY price

D: The ones too busy blabbing on their cell phones to pay attention
E: The a-holes in the very back of the line who race their cart over when the cashier opens a register and asks for the NEXT PERSON IN LINE
I am a cashier at Kroger, and the bolded part in pink negatively affects our productivity because the entire process is timed from beginning to end. I compare it to working at the drive through at a fast food restaurant.

Senior Management pays careful attention to the productivity of every cashier, and if your productivity is too slow according to them, you will be told by store management to pick up your speed.

The cashier can do certain things to be more productive, but the bolded part in pink he/she has no control over.

On some receipts the customers get you are asked to fill out a survey regarding your shopping experience. Some of customers do not want their receipt. For the ones who do not, I save the receipt if the customer is asked to fill out a survey. I complete the survey instead, and I leave comments in the comment section.

I recently did this regarding the bolded part in pink as well as what I mentioned in this reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 12:10 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,821,194 times
The etiquette where I live is first come first serve. Most stores have express lanes or self check out where you can get through quicker.

And the woman wasn't even using cash??? Who uses cash anymore? Paying with a credit card is much faster especially when the average cashier can't do basic elementary school level math anymore so it takes forever to count change

Old 10-24-2016, 12:11 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,210,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglegirl05 View Post
I am a cashier at Kroger, and the bolded part in pink negatively affects our productivity because the entire process is timed from beginning to end. I compare it to working at the drive through at a fast food restaurant.

Senior Management pays careful attention to the productivity of every cashier, and if your productivity is too slow according to them, you will be told by store management to pick up your speed.

The cashier can do certain things to be more productive, but the bolded part in pink he/she has no control over.
Doesn't every cashier face the same problems? Wouldn't the check writers and phone users balance out over time?

Old 10-24-2016, 12:31 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
Sorry if this isn't a 'great debate' i wasnt sure which category this would go under.

The other night i was on line in a supermarket and had 3 items, the woman in front of me had about 15 or 20, she had produce that needed to be weighed and of course, she wasn't using cash. I thought she might have let me go ahead of her if i had 1 item, but 3 might have been the 'cutoff'. Personally i give the person behind me a lot of leeway, if i have over 10 items and they have 1 or 2, i always let them go no matter how long i've been waiting, many take the offer and are very appreciative.

So, what do you think is the 'ratio' of items where the person in front should let the person behind them go in front? (this is probably a good curb your enthusiasm episode topic!)

IMHO there should be no expectation of moving ahead in line based on the number of items. If someone wants to do it, fine.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:38 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,695,368 times
My opinion, I don't care if the person behind me had one lone item and I had a dozen. In no way is that persons time more valuable than my own. Just sayin

Old 10-24-2016, 12:44 PM

1,347 posts, read 945,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
IMHO there should be no expectation of moving ahead in line based on the number of items. If someone wants to do it, fine.
Agreed.

There are two sets of U-scan registers (one at each end) for shoppers with up to 12 items at the store where I shop. There are also a handful of "unlimited # of items" U-scan registers. Most of the people in the regular checkout lines have full carts. So no, I don't offer to let other people go ahead of me if I am in a regular line because I have many items. The person behind me made the decision to get in the regular line instead of a U-scan, so they can live with it.

I'm on the bandwagon with those who believe having payment/coupons ready, arguing about prices, and busy on the cell phone are more important etiquette issues. Add to that people behind me breathing down my neck (sometimes to the point where they are now standing in front of the card reader and I have to reach back in front of them to swipe), or starting to carry on a conversation with the cashier (esp asking a question) while the cashier is still checking me out. Why is it so hard to wait your turn.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:21 PM

604 posts, read 618,095 times
I used to let people move ahead all the time.

Only in extreme cases, now.

Old 10-24-2016, 04:24 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times
What kills me is when I am in a full service line and the cashier from the empty Express lane waves me over to her lane. Inevitably as she's ringing up my cartload of stuff, express lane customers walk up and have to wait in line. Makes me look like a d**k for going through the express lane with a cartload.

Old 10-24-2016, 04:54 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,956,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Wonder how regional this is?

Where I get a bit frustrated is, esp now with the self checkout, is the store may only have one line open so the self checkout is backed up with people pushing full carts who don't know how to use it (poor clerk is running from register to register clearing whatever binged) and the one line is full. And there I stand with my three items in hand.
That's when I walk out. And I have. One time early in the morning, the only thing available was the self check out. I had a cart loaded with around $150 worth of groceries and the clerk told me that they didn't open up manned registers until 8:00 AM; I would have to use the self checkout. I told her, ”Fine. Since you're too busy to ring me up (she was just standing around) you can put these groceries back up." I left the store without them.

Old 10-24-2016, 05:01 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
Sorry if this isn't a 'great debate' i wasnt sure which category this would go under.

The other night i was on line in a supermarket and had 3 items, the woman in front of me had about 15 or 20, she had produce that needed to be weighed and of course, she wasn't using cash. I thought she might have let me go ahead of her if i had 1 item, but 3 might have been the 'cutoff'. Personally i give the person behind me a lot of leeway, if i have over 10 items and they have 1 or 2, i always let them go no matter how long i've been waiting, many take the offer and are very appreciative.

So, what do you think is the 'ratio' of items where the person in front should let the person behind them go in front? (this is probably a good curb your enthusiasm episode topic!)
15 to 20 items is nothing, that's like maybe 1/5 of a full cart. Now if I have a full cart overflowing with stuff I might look back and give someone with a couple items the go ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates