Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 04:50 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
I am married to a legal immigrant who became a US citizen. She hasn't been out protesting, but she certainly objects to Trump's immigration proposals. And that is what they are protesting, his proposals, no action yet. They are trying to send a message not to go forward with some of it.
Just out of interest, does your wife support actually enforcing current immigration laws? And, if she does why would she support someone who has been actively and publicly making sure that those immigration laws are not enforced/followed - and someone who has said that she was going to continue Obama policies in that regard?

Take away the idea that people don't like the 'wall solution' and people don't want those already in the country (which by the way would be a lot fewer if we had actually enforced existing laws as just about every country in the world, including Mexico, does) to be removed from the US ... let's just start with what is already LAW in this country .. does she support those?

You love having those who are rapists, murderers, drug dealers out on the street (actually serving in many cases much less time if any than citizens who do the same thing)?

Trump had nothing to do with those laws. He merely intends to enforce them. The fact that Obama (and probably others before him) chose NOT to enforce those laws has nothing to do with what Trump might do. Trump, I hope, will merely follow the law as it stands. You really have a problem with that?

So ... moving on with the 'wall' - that has been on the books for many years now already. The funding for it was approved (and then stolen away of course when the then incumbent presidents decided that was not the way 'they' wanted to do what might be necessary to stop the increasing flow of people across the borders (illegally). It is just a part of 'enforcement' though - whatever is necessary to 'enforce existing laws' should be done - so .. if one agrees that current law should be enforced, then the wall is really irrelevant unless the only way to do that is to build a wall.

Next ... do you and your wife like the idea that we are 'importing' illegal aliens who are less than savoury characters? And further that certain cities harbour those people (do you live in one of those 'sanctuary' cities? And if not, why not move there if you like that so much?) when it is against the law to do so and receive no consequences (in terms of funding especially) when breaking federal rules in that regard?

we can go on to address the idea of deportations .. after you answer these questions .. thanks.

Last edited by Aery11; 11-16-2016 at 05:03 PM..

Old 11-16-2016, 05:18 PM

564 posts, read 873,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
The reporting is all the same. I've explained the problems with it as against what was posted here half a dozen times now. There will be no more. Those who have missed the point are on their own from here on.
And the article said that most of them have Oregon as their official address. You are just making up a scenario.......oh wait.....maybe they have a summer home address in the Hamptons or Martha's Vinyard and decided to cast absentee ballots there, instead of what they listed as their official address.....hmmmmmm, that must be right.

Also pointing out the fact that NBC is not a right wing source (addressing YOUR comment)to show that it is not just coming from sources you don't like. After all, there are some news sources besides the Huffington Post and MSNBC that are not characterized as being right wing (which is probably a shock to you).

The only one missing the point is YOU.

Last edited by janster100; 11-16-2016 at 05:51 PM..

Old 11-16-2016, 07:23 PM

28 posts, read 36,793 times
They're all a bunch of sore losers. I'm no Trump fan, but he won the electoral college fair and square and that is how we elect a president. I guess I blame their parents for not teaching them that sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:45 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
Blame? Blame implies that a wrong has been committed. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with them, but these people are exercising their right to free speech and freedom to assemble.
Well, yes, but the FIRST amendment is not the FAV amongst Trump supporters.

They trample all over it to hurry on to the SECOND one.

I praise the protestors, especially those in New York City who are apparently going to have their lives very much disrupted whenever Trump stays in town.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:06 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
I am just wondering when this is going to end? I get it, their candidate lost and they are unhappy. What I don't get at all is that candidates have lost for the last 45 elections and of the ones I recall, I don't recall protests against the winner. Get over it. You have a right to protest for sure, but what good do you think it is going to do? It is over a week already and they are still protesting. Adding insult to injury, in Oregon half of the protestors did not vote either way. Makes no sense to me at all.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:49 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I am just wondering when this is going to end? I get it, their candidate lost and they are unhappy. What I don't get at all is that candidates have lost for the last 45 elections and of the ones I recall, I don't recall protests against the winner. Get over it. You have a right to protest for sure, but what good do you think it is going to do? It is over a week already and they are still protesting. Adding insult to injury, in Oregon half of the protestors did not vote either way. Makes no sense to me at all.
Perseverance is what led our colonies....History repeats itself.

I respect the concept of Protests and understand the ire of the mass's who do so.

Its when violence erupts that it losses its integrity to the cause.

I'll be polite and dismiss your Get over it mentality. Since anything after "But" is BS.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:12 PM

325 posts, read 371,744 times
George Soros.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:13 PM

325 posts, read 371,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
When Soros dries up the funds.

Old 11-16-2016, 10:56 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlady View Post
When Soros dries up the funds.
29.5 Billion worth of Wows!
Interesting gent .

Old 11-16-2016, 10:58 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Perseverance is what led our colonies....History repeats itself.

I respect the concept of Protests and understand the ire of the mass's who do so.

Its when violence erupts that it losses its integrity to the cause.

I'll be polite and dismiss your Get over it mentality. Since anything after "But" is BS.
Pretty sure the american revolution was extremely violent, though I think the anti trumpers would be equivalent to the crown sympathizers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.