Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 03:42 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,112,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
You clearly are disconnected from reality concerning needs. I know for a fact that most Americans are addicted to excess and consumerism. I found this out when I radically changed my financial lifestyle many years ago. The only way most will see it is to dramatically cut their lifestyles. Once you absorb the shock, you begin to see just how addicted you are. If not for my wife I would live a minimalist lifestyle.
I am not addicted to consumerism and the only debt I have ... drum roll please ... is our house because of the grossly excessive costs of housing. So somehow I was able to either pay debt off fast or pay out of pocket for EVERYTHING else and put 20% down on the house but trying to save more puts you paying more excessive rent costs because you cant really just go live in the woods on the ground, even if you wanted too you would be harassed by bums and cops and possibly jailed.

Even if you somehow save 100k cash to buy a lot your still renting while you build. Absent any govt controls this will get worse as the population expands and as people try to go to mobile living the police harassment will increase as well.

We are modern day surfs and vassels and even the most extreme minimalists who would be willing to pitch a tent on public lands risk jail time. If that is not feudalism I don't know what is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 06:19 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
In the developed countries the economies are being restrained by a resurgence of the plantation economies of the pre civil war south. A few land and/or money owning elites controlling the economy to protect their privilege before even profit. Their goal is a leisure society for them and a starvation economy for the rest. In the undeveloped world the plantation owners have never had their primacy challenged. They have their privilege satisfied and the under people are really starving. These poor have a larger number of children to have some assurance that one or two kids will be alive and sufficiently well of the take care of their parents if the parents are still alive.

As said earlier in this thread the most effective way to slow population growth is guaranteeing the adults that they will be supported in their dotage. The most effective birth control may just be Social Security and free medical care.

20 to 30 years ago china instigated the "one child" policy expecting that the male/female ratio would remain just about even. They did not count on the economic propensity for male children for economic security to lead to the use of selective abortion to skew the ration strongly in favor of males. This has resulted in a real shortage of women available to maintain the Chinese population let alone population growth. One of their future population problems is becoming apparent. the next generation is simply not going to be there. No wonder they are investing in industrial robots. the human workers will not be there and something has to keep making stuff and profits for the plutocrats that own the place.

Of course there is the catastrophic population control created by natural disasters. the explosion of the Yellowstone volcano or a major, but not Chixalub (?) size meteor impact could shut down 90% of the Earth's farming capacity. After five years of so the population of everything would be much less. Remember the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse are always ready to ride.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:31 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,015,571 times
What a cheery way to approach life!

Old 05-04-2017, 08:25 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
We already have this in the USA, there are certain parts of the world where this will never happen in my life time ... or ever. I think war is really the only option.
War is the only option for getting rid of poor people having too many children? Yeah, that's a rational response.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:28 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
In the developed countries the economies are being restrained by a resurgence of the plantation economies of the pre civil war south. A few land and/or money owning elites controlling the economy to protect their privilege before even profit. Their goal is a leisure society for them and a starvation economy for the rest. In the undeveloped world the plantation owners have never had their primacy challenged. They have their privilege satisfied and the under people are really starving. These poor have a larger number of children to have some assurance that one or two kids will be alive and sufficiently well of the take care of their parents if the parents are still alive.
Yeah, all those plantations in Scandinavia and Canada, and the starvation economy for the workers in those countries are really trashing those countries' images.
Where's the coo-coo emoji when you need it?

Old 05-04-2017, 08:49 AM

749 posts, read 734,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yeah, all those plantations in Scandinavia and Canada, and the starvation economy for the workers in those countries are really trashing those countries' images.
Where's the coo-coo emoji when you need it?
It's interesting that 1/2 of all Scandinavians left their homes and emigrated to the United States. And now all we hear is how awesome Scandinavia is.

My bet is that we won't be hearing about how awesome Scandinavia is for very much longer...

Last edited by Volvo Driver; 05-04-2017 at 09:08 AM..

Old 05-04-2017, 09:07 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,586,726 times
There is just one eternal issue I see. The human kind across time and space treat life as a competition for a better parasitic spot on a socio economic ladder and in the process we trash this planet and each other above and beyond our substinence needs, it doesnt make brain chemistry unaltered people any happier. At this point in history first worlders must basically redefine basic ideas about humanity to keep up with parasitic races.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:04 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,204,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Driver View Post
It's interesting that 1/2 of all Scandinavians left their homes and emigrated to the United States. And now all we hear is how awesome Scandinavia is.

My bet is that we won't be hearing about how awesome Scandinavia is for very much longer...
When was this?

Old 05-04-2017, 10:49 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,586,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
When was this?
At the times Scandinavia was run by domestic oligarchies maximizing their profits American way i.e. unburdenened by social externalities. Effectively it took a mini social revolution of 1930s for Scandinavs to reign in their unburdened 1%. https://wagingnonviolence.org/featur...the-1-percent/

Similarities are striking if you just browse CD forums overburdened with topics revolving around dealing with "unwanted" (by owning class) population. But much unlike Scandinavia USA mass consciousness prefers neo darvinian/banana republic ways to accomodate 1% needs.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:10 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,112,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Driver View Post

They have a lot of oil now which props up the economy. I heard Finland just instituted a basic income and I am not sure if they have significant oil reserves I will be curious to see how that works. The thing with Scandenavia is that when they left to the USA they were not landing on the beaches to 6 figure 1/4 acre lots with 350 million people. The USA is not the USA of the middle ages that is why people are saying scandenavia is much better but I don't think they fair much better in the real estate arena either plus they have the taxes eating away any savings to buy said over priced land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates