Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 08:52 PM

510 posts, read 371,827 times

Advertisements

Any ideas as to what makes a person 1st try a potentially fatal drug? Thanks in advance for all replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 09:39 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,799,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWTJ View Post
Any ideas as to what makes a person 1st try a potentially fatal drug? Thanks in advance for all replies.
Could you elaborate, a vague question to the audience.

Old 08-12-2017, 03:40 PM

55 posts, read 50,152 times
I doubt it, you can't even after 2-3 tries.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:15 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,702,857 times
Quote:
I think there are 15,000 or more ER visits from tylenol each year and these NSAIDS and aspirin kill a lot of people (slowly, by eating their stomachs and livers)....

Short of having them forced to take a class on biology and memorize the statistics, I doubt there is much you can do about it. People eat a LOT of junk food even though it kills vastly more people than mostly anything else (smoking may beat it - or not).

Heck, the property I live on belonged to Reginald Vanderbilt (father of Gloria). He died at 42 when his liver and stomach disintegrated from booze. Certainly he knew better, right?

Old 08-12-2017, 11:08 PM

510 posts, read 371,827 times
What makes a person 1st try an illegal drug like crack or meth? Heroin is now often done when people are cut off from their pain pills, but wasn't exactly unknown before that. The threat of the law, social disapproval & possibility of death don't stop everyone from trying them for the 1st time.

Cigarettes were widely advertised, are legal, and once were socially acceptable. Plus them being in so many stores. Many would say peer pressure or just watching people smoke caused many to start. I wonder if one can get addicted to cigarettes from 2nd hand smoke?

But who or what promotes meth or crack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Could you elaborate, a vague question to the audience.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:09 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,065,069 times
Quote:
The threat of the law, social disapproval & possibility of death don't stop everyone from trying them for the 1st time
So you never had alcohol when you were underage, which would have been illegal? That can be just as deadly when you don't know your own tolerance.

And another point, the government used to say that marijuana was as bad as heroin. The government was lying, as millions of people found out.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:37 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,593,953 times
Quote:
What makes a person 1st try an illegal drug like crack or meth? Heroin is now often done when people are cut off from their pain pills, but wasn't exactly unknown before that. The threat of the law, social disapproval & possibility of death don't stop everyone from trying them for the 1st time.

Cigarettes were widely advertised, are legal, and once were socially acceptable. Plus them being in so many stores. Many would say peer pressure or just watching people smoke caused many to start. I wonder if one can get addicted to cigarettes from 2nd hand smoke?

I agree with your question/point. I all so want to know the people that tried cigarettes for the first time, what was so great that made them say " that was so good I can't wait to try that again".

Old 08-16-2017, 07:14 AM

776 posts, read 958,079 times
At age 14 my Dad found me smoking in a local park.

His cure ? He made me smoke 6 of them in a hour. I have never smoked anything since....

XXX.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:19 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,146,648 times
Quote:

Excitement? Boredom? Looking for a good time? Lots of reasons to experiment with mind-altering substances.

Some people are more prone to addiction, children of alcoholics or a long history of family alcoholism, for example.

Some people are just fascinated by them. A friend I had growing up was constantly reading about drugs (like Hunter S Thompson) but never tried them. The study was enough for him.

Me, I think it is fascinating the way various substances can be felt in the body (even food, why does a mango give me great energy and good feeling while French fries make me feel tired and logy). Why do beer, wine, vodka, bourbon, and tequila all feel significantly different to me? Why was acid worth the risk but not heroin?

Plug all this into someone who doesn't have much to lose, and they'll sniff glue off a toad's back looking for kicks.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:37 PM

30,398 posts, read 52,011,068 times
Quote:

Curiosity, peer pressure, thrill seeking, and more... I tried meth for the first time when I was 17, and it was mostly curiosity + someone telling me it was great for weight loss (I was very insecure about my weight). And when you're 17, things like legality and future health problems mean nothing. It's actually a proven fact that you don't develop the "consequences" part of your brain until around 20-21, which is why teens do so many reckless and stupid things! My experiment with meth did lead to a serious addiction, but thankfully I was able to quit on my own after about a year.

I'm now 40 years old, and still do stupid things like smoking - but again, that was something I started as a teen. And by the time I was old enough to consider consequences, I was already hooked! But at least at this age I know not to START anything dangerous, at least not without weighing the pros and cons first.

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-22-2017 at 02:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates