Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 12:13 PM

304 posts, read 160,420 times

Advertisements

Now I always here how Immigrants...specifically Illegal immigrants are "Taking our Jobs" and if we got rid of the illegals (or in some cases ALL immigrants) Americans can work again..America for Americans kind of theory but I am curious...Why are we ONLY punishing the illegals.

Yes I get it they came in Illegally (hence the name illegal immigrant) and its obvious that their incentive to stay is that they get jobs here..no work means they move to the next area but all anyone ever seems to talk about it how we should punish/deport these illegals. While I do not think it that black & white. Some people have escaped horrific conditions in their homeland and come to the U.S. looking for better opportunities (ex: Venezuela) They should have some reasonable pathway, i.e.Mandatory Military service, learn english, citizenship test, pay taxes etc, register as an immigrant within a week or so there is always the one group no body ever touches.

(yes i have mentioned this before)

Why do we not go after the people that actually HIRE these illegals. I'm being serious why is there no effort to punish people who hire these illegals. I am willing to bet that if we punish (HEAVY Fines/jail time/loss of business license etc) the companies that hire undocumented workers you would see the flow of illegal immigration slow down pretty quickly. Unless of course by law they have to hire illegals (sarcasm)

So why don't we? It cheaper than a wall and with the fines can actually put money into our coffers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 12:42 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,211,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy84 View Post
Now I always here how Immigrants...specifically Illegal immigrants are "Taking our Jobs" and if we got rid of the illegals (or in some cases ALL immigrants) Americans can work again..America for Americans kind of theory but I am curious...Why are we ONLY punishing the illegals.

Yes I get it they came in Illegally (hence the name illegal immigrant) and its obvious that their incentive to stay is that they get jobs here..no work means they move to the next area but all anyone ever seems to talk about it how we should punish/deport these illegals. While I do not think it that black & white. Some people have escaped horrific conditions in their homeland and come to the U.S. looking for better opportunities (ex: Venezuela) They should have some reasonable pathway, i.e.Mandatory Military service, learn english, citizenship test, pay taxes etc, register as an immigrant within a week or so there is always the one group no body ever touches.

Why do we not go after the people that actually HIRE these illegals. I'm being serious why is there no effort to punish people who hire these illegals. I am willing to bet that if we punish (HEAVY Fines/jail time/loss of business license etc) the companies that hire undocumented workers you would see the flow of illegal immigration slow down pretty quickly. Unless of course by law they have to hire illegals (sarcasm)

So why don't we? It cheaper than a wall and with the fines can actually put money into our coffers
Because a lot of the same people who go on and on about illegals are still very much pro-business, pro wage suppression. These same people will throw a hissy if you suggest raising the minimum wage.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:25 AM

3,260 posts, read 3,773,896 times
Tend to agree with OP.

If you want to get rid of illegal immigration, actually enforce very stiff penalties for hiring or renting to illegals.

If an illegal immigrant can't find a place to live or a job to work, the problem would largely take care of itself.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:40 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,562,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Because a lot of the same people who go on and on about illegals are still very much pro-business, pro wage suppression. These same people will throw a hissy if you suggest raising the minimum wage.
lol, then the folks who rant about illegals taking their jobs would then rant that the government should stay out of their business.

It's nationalism, I only want to exploit Americans.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:43 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,660,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Tend to agree with OP.

If you want to get rid of illegal immigration, actually enforce very stiff penalties for hiring or renting to illegals.

If an illegal immigrant can't find a place to live or a job to work, the problem would largely take care of itself.
So how does a business vet the prospective employee? Require everyone to show a birth certificate and then citizenship papers if foreign born? We have people that complain now about voter ID. What would happen if they require a birth certificate. I can already hear the excuses. They lost it, never had one, discriminates against certain members of society or the poor.

I am somewhat conservative, a Facebook test told me, but I am in favor of a national ID that would be necessary for employment.

A start could be ICE making visits to Home Depot parking lots if you wanted to cut down on illegals renting.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:15 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,072,389 times
Employers must already fill out an I-9 for every person they hire documenting why they believe that person is eligible to work in the US.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:56 AM

304 posts, read 160,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
So how does a business vet the prospective employee? Require everyone to show a birth certificate and then citizenship papers if foreign born? We have people that complain now about voter ID. What would happen if they require a birth certificate. I can already hear the excuses. They lost it, never had one, discriminates against certain members of society or the poor.

I am somewhat conservative, a Facebook test told me, but I am in favor of a national ID that would be necessary for employment.

A start could be ICE making visits to Home Depot parking lots if you wanted to cut down on illegals renting.
a national ID is a good start. There is also your SS number. I memorized mine from the age of 16, granted people steal those numbers (identity fraud) but its something.

Is any solution perfect probably not, but there needs to be better solutions...the current system is go after illegals (good) but don't move higher up the chain..with no chance of punishment or reprisal for essentially breaking the law whats to stop an employers from replacing 5 illegal with 5 new illegals after the first 5 are deported?

Old 09-21-2017, 09:37 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,146,756 times
My family had a farm and was careful about vetting potential employees. However, it's quite easy to use someone else's identification and employers because of discrimination laws aren't able to do much to stop that. The irony is that government laws often hinder employers from making sure their employees are legal.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:01 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
Employers must already fill out an I-9 for every person they hire documenting why they believe that person is eligible to work in the US.
Good gravy! Stop making sense, folks are here to rant and not deal with the true protocol that a business MUST fulfill in order to hire. Such as Valid Social Security #, State ID, and or EAD papers.

Mind you I worked at a hotel years back...here is the most ironic part: We housed the Boarder Patrol (Immigrations) Staff, as they were in town to retrieve illegals being housed at our prison til further arrangements could be made. And WHO worked in our Hotel kitchens? 8 out ten staff members were illegals...Prepping the food these staffers relied on during their stay. Every staffer knew these guys were illegals...but as our owner said....WE pay them less so we can pay you more! What a bunch of hooey!
These guys stayed holed up in a two room apartment that our owner "gave" them....so they could work 12 hour days...and get a "cash" paycheck. No taxes, No work insurance to payout... It took only one person to report this to the Labor department....and Bam! Our owner was hit with a slap on the hand...a meager fine and a "Gee Sir, we will never do that again" to the State....
Our "Media" Rep for the Hotel had the audacity to say...This owner is being used as a scape goat......!
No Dear Media Person, He violated a Labor law...Geesh.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:25 AM

283 posts, read 409,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy84 View Post

So true, the major problem I have is that the people who do get the real jobs in the factories and the dirty jobs here are immigrants and they are being paid what I considered slave wages. I am dealing with a management company that has taken over our apartment complex and they are so bad, they don't clean up or cut the grass. They have a complex in Huntsville that looks so condemned that no one, not even homeless animals should be allowed to live in them. How in the heck are they allowed to do the things they do. They send illegals who do not know the first thing about fixing anything to work on apartments. They put cabinets in wrong, they do shotty work. Cheap labor for cheap pay. The owners of these properties should be fined heavy. The fox studios are hiring illegals all the time and paying them dirt cheap wages. It should never be allowed. They are rude and think we are to bow down to them here, and I am not racist by any means, I am married to an African American and it's just the shotty, bad work they do. The owners of these companies want cheap labor and they don't care about the citizens of the country they call theirs. I love your idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates