Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 11:50 PM

983 posts, read 737,637 times

Advertisements

It's funny, all our lives we are told we should never associate, make deals, or have anything to do with bad people, yet we do all the time, at least our politicians do. We are BFFs with many middle eastern countries that routinely love and endorse human rights abuses that would make the likes of Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot very proud, we are huge trading partners with China that imprisons and kills anyone that would merely tell them they suck, we are always happy to make deals with the Devil and all of his minions.

I realize if we (the west) were to TRULY stand our ground and say "We aren't having ANYTHING to do with you until all of your evil and wicked ways stopped" it would have some awful consequences. I realize that like it or not, we need cooperation from middle eastern countries for oil, China for trade etc. but is this just how it always has to be regardless of who is in charge? Isn't it ironic how, for example if you were to break into a house with another person, they shoot and kill someone/rape someone etc. but you did not do it you would be also charged with guilt by association and sent to prison yet our world leaders shake hands, drink with, and share good times with people that may as well as be turds that came out of Hitler's and people like him butthole?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 04:01 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times
"Bad guys" never see themselves as such. It's all a matter of perspective.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:40 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
it is a matter of perspective as Workin Hard wrote.

but still one would think that our elected would learn their lessons and stop doing the same thing when it comes to trying to buy the love from leaders of countries that hate what America stands for. They take our money and laugh at us.

It is haunting to hear Bill Clinton from when he was Prez making a deal with NK, giving them billions and technology to build nuclear reactors. Bill ensured us that they would not pursue nuclear weapons and look at what the world is facing now.
Obama did the same thing with Iran. I wonder how many years it will take them to back out of the deal and start building nukes?

In the Middle East it is all about the oil. Imagine if we were not beholding to them for the life blood that lubricates our economy?

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and again expecting different results. Insanity seems to be an infection in DC.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:25 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,979,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
It's funny, all our lives we are told we should never associate, make deals, or have anything to do with bad people, yet we do all the time, at least our politicians do. We are BFFs with many middle eastern countries that routinely love and endorse human rights abuses that would make the likes of Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot very proud, we are huge trading partners with China that imprisons and kills anyone that would merely tell them they suck, we are always happy to make deals with the Devil and all of his minions.

I realize if we (the west) were to TRULY stand our ground and say "We aren't having ANYTHING to do with you until all of your evil and wicked ways stopped" it would have some awful consequences. I realize that like it or not, we need cooperation from middle eastern countries for oil, China for trade etc. but is this just how it always has to be regardless of who is in charge? Isn't it ironic how, for example if you were to break into a house with another person, they shoot and kill someone/rape someone etc. but you did not do it you would be also charged with guilt by association and sent to prison yet our world leaders shake hands, drink with, and share good times with people that may as well as be turds that came out of Hitler's and people like him butthole?
Your values aren't the same values as someone who lives in the Dem. Republic of Congo. To them, cutting up someone with a machete doesn't hold the same consequence as it does for you. Calling that person evil is a purely personal decision. They probably view you as evil for a whole different set of reasons.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:32 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

but still one would think that our elected would learn their lessons and stop doing the same thing when it comes to trying to buy the love from leaders of countries that hate what America stands for. They take our money and laugh at us.

It is haunting to hear Bill Clinton from when he was Prez making a deal with NK, giving them billions and technology to build nuclear reactors. Bill ensured us that they would not pursue nuclear weapons and look at what the world is facing now.
Obama did the same thing with Iran. I wonder how many years it will take them to back out of the deal and start building nukes?

In the Middle East it is all about the oil. Imagine if we were not beholding to them for the life blood that lubricates our economy?

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and again expecting different results. Insanity seems to be an infection in DC.
It seems that every president whether Dem or Repub has had no problem selling weapons to Saudi Arabia despite being known funders of Islamists terrorism. Mind you after 9/11.

I guess it is what it is but I wish some people especially our elected officials would be honest for once and admit that no part of our foreign policy is based on ethics and morality.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:07 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Your values aren't the same values as someone who lives in the Dem. Republic of Congo. To them, cutting up someone with a machete doesn't hold the same consequence as it does for you. Calling that person evil is a purely personal decision. They probably view you as evil for a whole different set of reasons.
Nothing more evil than killing or maiming another person..of course they know..

Old 08-10-2017, 03:42 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
There are just too many in the world who put no value on human life. The U.S. continues to lead in their war time efforts.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:07 PM

564 posts, read 448,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

agree
agree. Probably already are. Recall the rules for inspections?

We no longer NEED their oil. All the more reason to wonder why we tolerate their two-faced leaders.

agree. Kind of. This applies more to the electorate. "They're all rascals - except my guy!" Too many elections result in lifetime appointments.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:22 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
It's funny, all our lives we are told we should never associate, make deals, or have anything to do with bad people, yet we do all the time, at least our politicians do.
A point to keep in mind - this isn't some sort of thing limited to politicians. We ALL do this, and often HAVE to do it, to survive.

Have you ever had a terrible boss or coworker? Not just a mean one, but an actual bad person? I've worked with at least one ex-con (he was in prison for a violent offence), an adulterer KKK member who brought a gun to work, and assorted other thugs, loons, and monsters. Now, yes - I eventually got a new job - but I didn't stand there and call them out on their crap at work. Sure, it would have felt good, but they were up the boss's rear (he was also a horrible person), and had far more experience with the company, so it wouldn't have ended well for me if I had confronted them. Now, obviously I didn't support them outside of work or hang out with them - no, I put up with their nonsense and did my job, working with them when I had to... which is EXACTLY what our politicians are stuck doing.

Obviously, we shouldn't actively support sociopath monster governments if we can avoid it, which is why I'm so sick of hearing about our "Saudi allies," when their nation is run by violent tyrants who hate this nation. But, at the same time, we can't just go bombing all the "bad guys" willy-nilly like you'd see in some Hollywood action movie as some people of certain political persuasions seem to think.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:25 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
What you do in your private life does not necessarily apply to the broader world.

I realized the inapplicability one day when I was listening to a Republican try to make an analogy between a household budget and the national budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates