Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 07:31 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,908,099 times

Advertisements

Most HR departments are majority (if not entirely) female so they're the one's doing the hiring, negotiating the salaries, handling the promotions, building the company policies, the EEO compliance, etc.

So why do women cite discrimination for being underpaid and promoted less when they have the most influence in the workforce?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 09:18 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Generally, an industry dominated by women is not influential. Male-dominated industries that shift to female dominated are generally losing their influence. Men go to the professions that pay the most, given their skillsets.

HR is a "nice" job and probably pays pretty well with good hours...but within a company, men will be where the money is. And that is not in departments serving support functions but in the departments that bring in the money.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:57 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
This question shows how little is understood about this issue. What does the HR department have to do with the IT, trading sales, risk management, etc departments? HR doesn't set salary budgets and HR doesn't set individual salaries or bonuses. They also don't have the final word on how employees are paid. All of that is controlled by the hiring managers.

Old 09-16-2017, 04:28 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,897,496 times
In most places I have worked, the HR manager is a woman.

However, the managers of other areas are generally male and HR can't police them 24/7.

Most managers are not dumb enough to talk to HR about discriminatory behavior that they are engaging in or thinking of engaging in. Also, I've found that employees in organizations I've worked in as HR were initially a bit intimidated about going into the HR office because they associated it with being in big trouble. HR sometimes does not get into the field often depending on industry and employees might not feel comfortable coming to them. Lots of reasons here.

Managers sometimes are not trained very well in matters of basic employment law.

I did once have a manager clueless enough tell me when I was recruiting a department lead for him that he didn't want a woman...

Old 09-17-2017, 03:53 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
OP: You do realize that the vast majority of a person's career is NOT determined by HR, right?

It's determined by local management, which is usually male, hence the potential discrimination issues.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:47 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
And who are the bosses over HR? Usually men.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:37 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
If as a woman you are underpaid and not promoted, you need to look in the mirror and reevaluate your skills, resume, presentation during interviews, job performance and salary negotiating skills. 99% of the time a crappy career is the job hunter's fault, and this goes for men too.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:03 PM

2,818 posts, read 2,285,892 times
HR is basically a support service for the organization. They handle the paperwork and process people, but the big decisions on hiring/pay/promotions tend to be made by the unit heads.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:41 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
HR is basically a support service for the organization.
HR is more like a union for management, like the unions regular employees once had. At least until recently, when employee unions were rendered toothless by corporate-supported politicians. HR, on the other hand, is stronger than ever.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:16 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
HR departments are more for c.y.a. for the company and supervisors and above... they are not there to help or assist the actual workers for the company.
They do nothing about reverse discrimination or certain types of harassment. They almost always side with management and narcissistic employees or supervisors or managers are never dealt with.

I do not respect HR at any company I spit on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates