Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 08:27 PM

66 posts, read 69,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
I think The individual, is a major problem that happening in united states, its all, me me me me, instead of being a group and watching out for the group.
actually, I think it is more about a new kind of group. I say this because all of those folks around me that are all, "me me me meeee" often stick together so it is a matter of a new type of social group. personally I think, coming from one of the last generations in my city that were allowed to just go outside to play, I think the issue is an entire generation who grew up on the TV/inside without the opportunity to just go outside and play and discover. They're me me me meee because they have not had the opportunity to develop independence in the same way as previous generations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 08:28 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
HIERARCHY OF IMPORTANCE
>>><<<
American law:
● People (sovereigns / inhabitants domiciled within the uSA)
● Governments (servant to the sovereign people)
● Citizens (subjects of the servant governments)
● Residents (those who lack a domicile, need permission / license)
● Excepted classes (paupers, vagabonds, fugitives, etc)

Not American Law:
● Government (indirect democracy, monarchy, oligarchy, etc)
● Government officials, officers
● Subject citizens
● Others

Old 10-07-2017, 07:48 AM

934 posts, read 402,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenLife View Post
Since when is Japan "geographically isolated" from the rest of the world?
Look at it historically. As people living on an island (more precisely: group of islands), Japanese have learned long ago to rely on each other more than they would have if they had been a part of bigger mainland. This goes for any island anywhere except those very close to the coast.

Old 10-14-2017, 11:12 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
The collective is more important for an obvious reason.

Adolf Hitler thought so, too. From his speech at Bueckeburg on October 7, 1933:
Quote:
"It is thus necessary that the individual should finally come to realize that his own pride is of no importance in comparison with the existence of his nation; that the position of the individual ego is conditioned solely by the interests of the nation as a whole; that pride and conceitedness, the feeling that the individual ... is superior, so far from being merely laughable, involve great dangers for the existence of the community that is a nation; that above all the unity of a nation’s spirit and will are worth far more than the freedom of the spirit and the will of an individual; and that the higher interests involved in the life of the whole must here set the limits and lay down the duties of interests of the individual. ... By this we understand only the individual's capacity to make sacrifices for the community, for his fellow men. "

Old 10-15-2017, 12:36 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Not a fan of the “Greater Good” rationalization ... Especially in our current state of social/mainstream/mass media inspired & social justice warrior championed witch-hunt; to burn at the stake without due process, all those resisting the constant bombardment of PC BS.

It’s just too easy to sway public opinion with marginally persuasive propaganda. If people only knew how much of what they consider to be their generations “revolutionary social progress” wasn’t actually their own idea?

They would probably hold on to the few individual options left, from their already alienated “inalienable rights”, for dear life.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:14 AM

89 posts, read 142,030 times
The 'collective' good is myth. It doesn't exist. It's just a noble-sounding buzz word used since time immemorial by wannabe kings to turn would-be individualists into subservient useful idiots. Sad truth is... it works.

Think about it. If all those limousine liberal 1℅ers who preach 'collective good' actually believe it, they wouldn't be in the 1℅ now would they.

In spite of modern popular opinion, humans are wired for rugged individualism.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:06 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edspace View Post
The 'collective' good is myth. It doesn't exist. It's just a noble-sounding buzz word used since time immemorial by wannabe kings to turn would-be individualists into subservient useful idiots. Sad truth is... it works.

Think about it. If all those limousine liberal 1℅ers who preach 'collective good' actually believe it, they wouldn't be in the 1℅ now would they.

Rugged individualism is the actual buzzword here my friend. If you believe that than you should be the first to step out to the wilderness and live off of the grid. In fact all Cons who think like you should do the same.

That's rugged individulism

Old 10-26-2017, 07:11 PM

60 posts, read 57,800 times
I would say the individual since everyone is one but you would have to be cognizant of the whole and act accordingly if needed. I mean everyone here is not me neither is my son or granddaughter-they have genes that are but they make them individual beings also. Like is all one or is one all?

Last edited by firebegonia; 10-26-2017 at 07:28 PM..

Old 11-02-2017, 12:16 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Somewhere, there must be a balance, but it's hard to find an ideal.

I've paid a lot of taxes to support Denmark's welfare state. I don't regret that, either from the standpoint of my own self-interest or that of Danish society.

As an American, I have been very fortunate to be able to choose the place where I have lived since 1996. It certainly has changed my thinking about the balance between the individual and society.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:55 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edspace View Post

In view of the fact that our modern society is indeed a thoroughly collectivized society, I'd have to say that your rant on rugged individualism, as mans inevitable state, seems to avoid a historical counter to your notions. Mankind survived as long as he did because of his ability to collectivize his efforts, the tribal concept was vital to man's evolutionary path to the modern creature he is today. While the "rugged individuals" passed on in obscurity, the collectives prospered and became the bedrock of modern economics, politics, religion, and last, but not least, the idea that together--we can--and have for thousands of years--overcome the odds against the individual..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates