Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 06:52 PM

11,073 posts, read 7,142,399 times

Advertisements

Who among us is to decide who is "100% evil"? You really trust in the human race to see people clear enough to do the judging? Many people in our land are considered evil in other countries and cultures. It all depends on your upbringing and surroundings, and what kind of "glasses" you're wearing.

As far as torture goes, it's not going to dissuade people from carrying out acts. And descending to more primitive measures - as in our past - doesn't make us any better off, or advance ourselves in any way. It just makes us more primitive. Do we want to go forward, or go backwards?

Old 11-06-2017, 08:20 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,453,412 times
I don't subscribe to the idea that torture is "inherently wrong" anyway, so no. I have no pity for rapists and child molesters and murderers getting tortured. But I'd draw the line at offenders of less serious crimes.

However I still don't think it should be legally implemented. I would rather some vigilante do the torturing then the government. No, when the government is doing the torturing, then there's a problem.

Old 11-07-2017, 05:26 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Oh, I think it's quantifiable!

The church murderer yesterday. Or, the murderer of the concert goers in LV were unspeakably 100% evil and I would have no issues at all slow roasting either of them over hot coals
They fact that you would find it emotionally satisfying to cause intense suffering isn't quantifying anything.

But we'll mark you down as a YES for torture for no reason other than your own amusement...

Old 11-07-2017, 05:56 AM

6,821 posts, read 10,513,511 times
It isn't about whether one feels bad for them, exactly. Rather it is about not sinking to their level. And it is also about the ineffectiveness of torture.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:47 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,756,686 times
Sinking to their level would be more like torturing an innocent person. These evil people need to feel the pain they have inflicted on others. I would prefer them to be erased from the face of the earth immediately but feel that is getting off too easy for the crimes they committed. As for the people that are performing the torture...its not like they would be drafted into that position, I am sure they would be recruited and be willing to take on the task.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:05 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,235,996 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

Some of you who are so abjectly against torture would be surprised how quickly you'd mete it out if told to by an authority figure.

Torture has it's place. In times of war, needing information to protect others... I have no problem with its use. For society at large however, I would say that torture should have no place in a civilized society. But then I think about what I would do if someone raped or murdered my family. Life in prison doesn't seem to cut it as punishment, nor would a quick death by lethal injection or other legal methods we use for the death penalty. In a personal situation like that, the desire for retribution and revenge are strong.

I remember when I was a child, there was a news story in the local paper how a young boy had found a dog wandering around his neighborhood. It was a friendly dog, and this boy lured it to a house that was being built, where he proceeded to break all the dog's legs, cut off his tail, and poke his eyes out with a coat hanger, then dumped the dog into the trash. Someone heard whimpering and found the dog in that state.

I was about 7 or 8 when that happened, the boy was around 12 years old. I remember it now, over 30 years later, because that was the first time that I realized what evil people were capable of doing in this world. The boy was never named, because he was a minor. But even after all this time, I still wish I knew who that person was. I would not care at all if he was tortured, in fact, I may be able to do it myself, and maybe even enjoy it.

Does that make me less of a person? Perhaps. But think of all the times in history where good, supposedly moral people, have tortured people. Just look at the Inquisition by the Catholic Church. In modern times, we have people torturing others in the name of Islam.

Humans are incredibly flawed animals.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:36 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,376,511 times
yes, torture is wrong, no matter who does it or to whom.

Torture won't bring closure or compensation to victims, it just dirties the karma of any person involved, even if they are just condoning it.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:38 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,756,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
yes, torture is wrong, no matter who does it or to whom.

Torture won't bring closure or compensation to victims, it just dirties the karma of any person involved, even if they are just condoning it.
I'm not saying torture is right but there are plenty of things in this world that aren't right and we still do them.

If I was a victim, you better believe torture would bring closure, especially if I was the one able to perform it. I don't understand those that "forgive" these evil people for what they have done. There is no forgiving a monster, they need to get a taste of what they have dealt to others.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:24 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,755,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandono View Post
I know that the idea of torture for many is a contentious subject, but even if it's not for information gathering. simply to make a very horrible and evil person suffer to death, is it wrong? Let me put it this way: Let's take some of the most unanimously considered evil people to have ever existed; Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Osama Bin Laden. Say at the time they were alive they met their end by being captured and brutally tortured in the worst ways possible for weeks, or even months, then finally died. Considering just how unspeakably evil we all know the aforementioned were, would you still consider it wrong to have done to them? Would you honestly feel bad for them?
It's not about feeling bad for them. I always squirm knowing that a guy who killed 36 people can only die once for his crimes. I wouldn't torture because it would make me as bad as the person I'm torturing -- maybe worse -- because I definitely know better than that. The person I'm torturing might not know better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Torture is subjective. Example1:Waterboarding is not torture. Example 2: Pulling both of a woman's arms off with a come-along likely is.
Getting information from a stubborn prisoner may require severe means. Most don't have a problem with this.

Whoa there, Nelly. Waterboarding ISN'T torture? You might say something different if someone did it to you.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:38 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I'm not saying torture is right but there are plenty of things in this world that aren't right and we still do them.

If I was a victim, you better believe torture would bring closure, especially if I was the one able to perform it. I don't understand those that "forgive" these evil people for what they have done. There is no forgiving a monster, they need to get a taste of what they have dealt to others.
It isn't a question of feeling sorry for them.
It isn't a question of setting them free without consequences. Imprisonment, fine. Death penalty, in some cases fine.

Torture is another thing all together. Whatever religion you are, I don't think it involves condoning torture. If you're a Christian, turn in your membership card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates