Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 06:57 PM

666 posts, read 513,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
How odd, I always assumed the behavior stemmed from low self-esteem/insecurities. Generally this is the reason they feel the need to inflate themselves via putting others down.
I think this is a myth people made up to try to make victims feel better as in, "Oh, don't worry about them. They're just insecure/jealous of you." From my personal experience or from what I have heard from others, that is usually not the case. Many bullies are self-entitled narcissists who seem to relish picking on others for the fun of it and as a way of making sure that those they felt were "less than" would know their place. Some of these people also attack others who "dare" to compete with them or deflate their overblown egos in some way. When I say "deflate their overblown egos", I don't mean that they're so insecure that it upsets them that someone might not like them or try to compete with them. I mean that they're like the diva whose ass has been kissed so long they actually feel personally insulted when someone doesn't fawn over them or dares to share the spotlight with them.

For example, on the TV show, "Classmates," a woman reunited with a bully from high school, who wound up becoming a successful TV star. What happened was that the bully had a crush on a boy in high school. The victim had the "temerity" to be interested in him. So the bully, in a rage, ostracized the victim in the last year of high school to "teach her a lesson." She told everyone in the class to not invite her to any parties or social events. She then became persona non grata. The victim spent what should've been the most joyful period in high school completely alone and left behind by her entire class. I don't even think she went to the prom. This sounds like, "Oh, the bully must have been insecure, must have seen her as a threat." No, this was her being a diva, feeling that if she was interested in something (a boy, a contest, etc.) it was hers and hers alone to have, and it was a sign of disrespect for someone to have the "nerve" to try to get it, too.

What's so depressing about this (as if it wasn't already) is that some 30 years later, the victim was still traumatized about the whole thing but to the bully, it was just a blip. A lot of bullies are like that. They're so narcissistic and petty, they almost never remember a fraction of anything they did growing up and would even be shocked to be told how cruel and vicious they were. In fact, most would remember themselves as being the sweetest, most wonderful dears on earth, who were well loved and incredibly popular. The rare ones that acknowledge they were jerks try to use their bullying in a self aggrandizing way as in, "Yeah, I cruelly ruined a girl's life but I've grown so much as a person and now look at me, I'm happily married with three kids and doing great!" Or maybe they'll "apologize", but the apology will be kind of insincere because they won't remember what it is they did that they're apologizing for. All they know is that 20 years down the line, someone is complaining about something they did, and so to be "gracious" and show what wonderful, mature people they are, they'll apologize. But they won't remember a thing.

Last edited by EastFlatbush; 02-13-2018 at 08:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 07:45 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
How odd, I always assumed the behavior stemmed from low self-esteem/insecurities.
Generally this is the reason they feel the need to inflate themselves via putting others down.
That was the general thinking for a long time.

Recent studies (last 20 years) show that bullies actually have a higher self-esteem than most kids. And they make fun of weaker kids because it's an entertaining thing to do at the time, and they don't remember the victims all that much afterwards. Sometimes bullies who torment kids for a long time have absolutely no memory of those kids years later, whereas the victims are scarred.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:47 PM

389 posts, read 330,570 times
I don't think there is even a correlation there. By far it is the smart kids in school who go on to a good college who end up running the world. The smart kids usually are not bullies. Yes there are exceptions but it is not the rule.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:37 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms12345 View Post
I don't think there is even a correlation there. By far it is the smart kids in school who go on to a good college who end up running the world. The smart kids usually are not bullies. Yes there are exceptions but it is not the rule.
I disagree. The kid that was bullied usually doesn't have the personality or temperament to run anything. They may have a good job and high income but I doubt they are the ones that call the shots.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:36 PM

389 posts, read 330,570 times
^^ Well it's certainly not the average high school bully calling the shots and running the world. There are always exceptions but the majority end up being lower level employees if not complete failures.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:43 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,791,370 times
Quote:
How odd, I always assumed the behavior stemmed from low self-esteem/insecurities.
Generally this is the reason they feel the need to inflate themselves via putting others down.
This has been my observation as well. Having higher self esteem doesn't mean you're content. It just means you have enough going for yourself that you're able to undermine whatever flaws you have. So someone may have an overall healthy sense of self, but this doesn't mean they aren't mindful of certain shortcomings that may urge them to make someone else feel inadequate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates