Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 06:47 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,346,518 times

Advertisements

As it is here in Massachusetts, I can take a Saturday gun safety class where I finish by firing a six shot clip. At this point I can apply with the local police chief and have a license to carry. I can then go to a gun store and buy any rifle i want and high capacity magazine.
It seems a little too big a jump in my opinion.

Why not have tiered gun ownership?

Completing the class gets you the right to a .22 long rifle or pistol.
From there you have to show a minimum number of hours experience at a gun range before you can apply for the next tier which could be higher caliber rifles, then maybe pistols.
After that you can next qualify for high capacity pistols and assault style rifles.

It would bring people to shooting ranges where they will encounter responsible gun owners and learn the right way to handle a fire arm.
Those same people at the range will have a chance to further vet someone as responsible or reckless/dangerous.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:42 AM

2,899 posts, read 1,872,159 times
No.

How about tiers of voting? How about tiers of free speech? How about tiers of property ownership? How about tiers of avoiding unreasonable search and seizure.

Owning guns is an affirmed right. Its beholden to the individual to exercise it responsibly, not for the government to say only x,y or z is ok.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:04 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,085,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
No.

How about tiers of voting? How about tiers of free speech? How about tiers of property ownership? How about tiers of avoiding unreasonable search and seizure.

Owning guns is an affirmed right. Its beholden to the individual to exercise it responsibly, not for the government to say only x,y or z is ok.
Are nuclear arms covered by my right to bear arms or do you think they should be well regulated?

Old 02-26-2018, 08:15 AM

We have levels of drivers licenses but, having them for firearms is wrong?

Hard line 2nd amendment people are only hurting themselves by refusing any compromise.
I think they fear 'death from a thousand cuts' when it will actually be a knee jerk ban if they don't see the big picture.
Think of it, you cannot own an automatic weapon, now pretty soon a bump stock. Why not pick your battles instead of having them forced on you?
A tiered system promotes safety, skill and informed, responsible gun owners and voters.

Remember, amendments can be superseded by a new amendment. Keep the hard line stance and that is what will happen.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:23 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post

Hard line 2nd amendment people are only hurting themselves by refusing any compromise.
I think they fear 'death from a thousand cuts' when it will actually be a knee jerk ban if they don't see the big picture.
Think of it, you cannot own an automatic weapon, now pretty soon a bump stock. Why not pick your battles instead of having them forced on you?
A tiered system promotes safety, skill and informed, responsible gun owners and voters.
I have nothing against it in principal, but I fail to see how that would have prevented the Florida incident or numerous other incidents.

I live in Maryland where we have some of the tightest gun restrictions in the nation. Again I have no problem with that, but it does not seem to make Baltimore any less bloody.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:24 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,425,421 times
Quote:

Driving is a PRIVILEGE, not a Right.

The 2nd amendment is the key to allowing people to protect themselves against a tyrannical government. I'd think that *everyone* should be hard-line advocates of the right to protect themselves from being forced into servitude. Taking a HUGE leap of faith to say that no power-hungry person in a Government position will Ever abuse the ability to make themselves "king class"... especially with the massive disparity between what those buffoons in office think is 'normal' vs what is Really 'normal'. I don't care what your political leaning is, you have elected representatives who are serving their own interests first, not yours.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:28 AM

A tiered level of ownership does not infringe on anyone's right to bear arms.

As far as what happened in Florida, I believe that in addition to raising the age to 21, that mass murderer would not have progressed through a level of to allow him a high capacity AR15 for at least a few years. In that time there would have been MANY more opportunities for someone to report his behavior, especially people at a shooting range who have a keen interest in responsible gun ownership.

Drivers licenses have different levels because of the skill and experience needed because it can be such a dangerous operation.
Gun ownership has the same responsibility because of the dangers involved.

And, like I said, that RIGHT can be superseded... it's happened many times before.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:00 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,870,515 times
[quote=StuartGotts;51146540]As it is here in Massachusetts, I can take a Saturday gun safety class where I finish by firing a six shot clip. At this point I can apply with the local police chief and have a license to carry. I can then go to a gun store and buy any rifle i want and high capacity magazine.
It seems a little too big a jump in my opinion. . . . "

/QUOTE]
I think you left out a LOT of information about the gun buying process in Massachusetts. Was it intentional? Or just a senior moment?

I to am concerned about gun safety issues, I grew up on a farm/ranch in the middle of the 20th Century (born in 1946). By the time I entered elementary school I was an experienced gun handler. My Father, Grandfather, and various Uncles had taught me SAFE gun handling. Until I left home to attend College a few hundred miles away, I had never been around anyone who did not know how to handle a gun safely. At College I met people that had never even held or touched a gun. Lessons I had learned from the time I was still pooping my diapers had not been taught to many of my new associates. Including many adults close to my Grandpas age.

Recently I heard someone say that God granted the right to bear arms and the Second Amendment guaranteed it. YES there is a RTKABA. HOWEVER all responsible citizens should be educated in how to safely exercise that right. I think gun safety should be taught in our schools as soon as possible. Swimming lessons and gun safety classes are just COMMON sense to me. Many of our schools teach/require SEX education classes. Isn't gun safety just as important?

Old 02-26-2018, 10:22 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
Quote:
A tiered level of ownership does not infringe on anyone's right to bear arms.

As far as what happened in Florida, I believe that in addition to raising the age to 21, that mass murderer would not have progressed through a level of to allow him a high capacity AR15 for at least a few years. In that time there would have been MANY more opportunities for someone to report his behavior, especially people at a shooting range who have a keen interest in responsible gun ownership.

Drivers licenses have different levels because of the skill and experience needed because it can be such a dangerous operation.
Gun ownership has the same responsibility because of the dangers involved.

And, like I said, that RIGHT can be superseded... it's happened many times before.
The cruel irony is that by being under 21, he was on the radar of lots of people, all of whom chose to brush aside any concerns or suspicions.

In short, lots of people reported or knew of his behavior. And all of them, from school officials to his clueless foster parents to the law enforcement officials, amazingly both local and federal, chose to do nothing. The local cops deserve special mention because they did nothing before and even during the incident.

Because that is our society now. We would rather avoid holding anyone to account for anything. We prefer mindless platitudes over real action. We have destroyed Personal Responsibility in our nation and this is what happens.

Yea sure, I agree there is something strange about an 18 year old with an AR-15. But he could have procured 3 loaded .38 revolvers and killed even more people.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:37 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,905,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
No.

100%

When are liberals gonna approve tiers of stuff they love like abortion?

Starting with the first tier of education and ultra sound.
Hint: never

What about tiers of Immigration. (not even a right)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates