Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2018, 03:24 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,650,355 times

Advertisements

Everything is so controversial nowadays. It is what it is.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:27 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,194,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
I know. I said idiot. I hate that he does most of his speaking on Twitter, but Mr. Hogg should love him for that, as not using social media is one of the reasons he doesn't like old people.

I don't think standing up for your rights on an online forum makes anyone a cynic. No one can deny that the living students are getting fame. Whether they are doing it out of genuine concern or for ego remains to be seen.

Again, I don't see why you keep bringing David Duke to the forefront. Are you somehow trying to make it look like if someone wants to preserve their constitutional rights, they are somehow racist? Plenty of people of color and white people who do not support David Duke own firearms, as well people who march with David Duke, lol.

Interesting propaganda there. Gun control now or you are a racist!!!! Maybe you just view Mr. Duke as a legitimate threat to you personally for some reason?

I didn't think you could quote a reference to anyone claiming what you are claiming. But, thanks anyway.

I think its amazing that a movement to create stricter gun control laws, especially when laws that cover everything are already in place (see Brady Law which covers the mentally ill), is actually moving more people toward arming themselves, both privately and publicly. You will no longer be able to wait for a problem to occur to arm yourself. You have to prepare for a problem. Oddly, that is exactly what the founding fathers had in mind to start with.
With millions of guns in the USA, the fears of an unarmed America happening, merely due to common sense registration and limits on certain types of weapons & age limits, are right wing paranoia and scare tactics.

David Hogg and his fellow students had witnessed a 17 victim massacre and he is 17 years old, so I'll cut him a little slack on his "in your face" speaking style. Will expect better when he is in his 20's and time passes from this terrible tragedy. So many on this forum are just fine with the President's similar style (not you, but many others are and I've read their posts)!

The David Duke reference is mainly because I have a much greater respect for these Parkland youth than the young guys that marched with him. I made that clear, but don't mind explaining again. Yet it seems the Parkland youth get attacked about the same or even a little more on this forum, which I find surprising! I participated in a couple threads about the Charlottesville march.

One group has done it the right way with town hall forums and peaceful rallies. The other group basically terrorized a city and a woman got killed.

One law that has not been in place was moving the age of purchase for certain weapons from 18 to 21. Until recently. Florida changed that law in their state. It should be a nationwide law IMO. We have decided that people are not ready for alcohol until age 21. Same thing applies to certain guns IMO. Common sense. It is not a good idea for a high school senior to have easy access to automatic weapons.

It is encouraging that Republican governor Rick Scott signed a stricter Florida law and Ohio governor John Kasich has spoken out for a few reforms, too. Youtube has banned certain videos. Some retail stores won't sell certain types of guns now. The tide is turning, whether some people like it or not. The MAJORITY of Americans favor reasonable gun controls and preventing proven mentally unstable people from owning guns.

Regardless of what we believe about gun control issues, these youth clearly deserved to be on the TIME cover.

Last edited by chessgeek; 03-26-2018 at 03:41 PM..

Old 03-26-2018, 03:57 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
As we pass the torch to a new generation, I am proud that they are brave enough to stand up for their rights. I hope more from this new generation start getting involved and standing up for what they believe in. Vote, call your elected officials, march, let your voices be heard.

They're not dictating to the rest of the country any more than the some factions in this country have been dictating to them. They have a right to be safe, a right to not have to worry about whether or not someone is carrying a gun. They have a right to life and to not be killed at school. All of us have a right to feel safe from people with guns. How many times in your life do you really need a gun? Probably never. Keep on going, millennials.

This...

over the sarcastic and arrogant other posts on this thread.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:58 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,360,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post

But we's LOVE our parades and talks and stuff!!! I saw them in the TEE VEEE!!! All that FANFARE!!!! It means something important is happening.
So true...that reminds me, I'll skip Trump's big military parade costing taxpayer dollars just so he can prove he has a big d**k or that he is a big d**k, one or the other, I don't know which.

Don't worry ntv - you start with the emotions as the motivation - the details will all be worked out. Even Trump doesn't give details on his stuff and he's a 70+ year old president with decades of business experience.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:39 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,770,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
The poor parents of the actual victims of the shooting while these fools travel the world.

Maybe put their kids on the cover of Time.
This.

Thread over IMHO.

Old 03-26-2018, 07:33 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,369,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
This...

over the sarcastic and arrogant other posts on this thread.
Yes^^^^^^^

Old 03-26-2018, 07:42 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,194,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
This.

Thread over IMHO.
Sorry to continue the thread without your permission.

After several school shootings and one that took 17 lives at their own school, the Parkland students decided to take action to prevent future shootings. That is the BEST way to honor their 17 victims and other victims in past shootings IMO.

Just saying a prayer and doing nothing is not a solution.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:03 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
wait till they need to fund their own lives... once working they cant walk out and protest and expect to hold a job
Unless you're a government employee (at any level) - I've always worked in public services, and we CANNOT be fired over attending a protest or strike. One of the perks, I guess.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:09 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,835,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Speak for yourself. I am an adult, and I did not create psychotropic drugs and give them to people. Once you won your war with the NRA, and helped to take away someone else's rights, will you be going after fertilizer, matches, various gases and all other things that can be used to create a mass death experience?

Do you really think the sickness will heal itself just because 1 inanimate object has become harder to get?

As for the kids - the shooter kid got his 15 minutes of fame, and now the surviving victims are too. Where is the fame for those that made the ultimate sacrifice? The victims who died.

As usual, the political hacks all send their "thoughts and prayers." Isn't that enough?

Old 03-26-2018, 08:10 PM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I think it's cool the kids are standing up for something they believe in.

HOWEVER, the irony in the following picture is just too thick. Clearly, the student hasn't learned about the Battle of Thermopylae.

If you can't quite make out the text on the sweatshirt, it says "Molon Labe," which in ancient Greek translates as "come and take them." King Xerxes I of Persia, possessing a far larger army, demanded that the Spartans surrender their weapons. King Leonidas I defiantly responded "Molon Labe," or "Come and Take Them."
awsome catch! where was the picture sourced from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates