Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 08:43 PM

820 posts, read 973,234 times

Advertisements

Question is exactly how it sounds. If you knew that a close family member (parent, sibling, cousin, etc) had committed a serious, awful crime like murder, rape and/or abduction and the police hadn't caught them yet, would you turn them in to the police and have them imprisoned? And the crime was committed with no extenuating circumstances, just for the sake of doing it for their own pleasure. I would certainly turn them in because that is simply the law and it is not right to let something like that go just because you thought you had a bond with that person. But I've seen this question asked on this and other forums, and it shocks me that so many people would obstruct justice and not report the crime because they refuse to be "disloyal" to the perp. Clearly, if a person did something like this, they are not the person you'd want to associate with anyway, and it isn't fair to the victims and their families for justice not to be served. Just out of curiosity, would you guys happen to share my views on this, or would you not report anything and keep quiet just because you happen to have a bond with the person that committed the act?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 07:32 AM

486 posts, read 416,687 times
What about a spouse where you are not required by law to testify against them? Question: In general, does this also protect someone in this theoretical situation? Would you not have to report the crime, cooperate with police, or testify, or are you only protected against having to testify against them?

Old 08-15-2018, 09:04 AM

820 posts, read 973,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLinVA View Post
What about a spouse where you are not required by law to testify against them? Question: In general, does this also protect someone in this theoretical situation? Would you not have to report the crime, cooperate with police, or testify, or are you only protected against having to testify against them?
It's a situation where you don't have to report the crime or testify.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:45 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
While I can not imagine a loved one committing any of those crimes, I would try to convince them to turn themselves in first. And, if they did not, I would first go to an attorney for advice on the best way to handle the situation (to best help my loved one in the long run) and then, yes, I would turn them into the police.

My husband was a criminal attorney and there were many situations, in the law firm where he worked, where family members would turn in their loved ones to the police and then help with their defense. This was 20 years ago and even then the initial retainer for a good defense attorney would be $25,000 and the whole cost could easily end up being $100,000 or $200,000 or even much more. He has seen many situations where the entire extended family has pulled together to pay the legal fees to keep their brother or uncle out of prison for many years, or for life (we don't have the death penalty in our state).

When you do things such as selling your car, getting a second mortgage on your house, taking out loans and borrowing from your retirement fund to help your sibling, child or another relative stay out of prison (or get fewer years behind bars) you are really supporting them even if you abhor what they did (or are accused of doing).

OTOH, sometimes my husband would see hard working, loving parents and/or siblings, who were in denial, selling their cars or houses or using their life savings to help out an obviously dead beat loser, with a lengthy list of previous crimes and convictions. He would just want to shake the relatives and tell them, "No, Little Johnny is NOT a sweet innocent boy who had a raw deal and is completely innocent. He is a career criminal and it is best to just forget him".

Last edited by germaine2626; 08-15-2018 at 09:55 AM..

Old 08-15-2018, 11:48 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,179,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue100 View Post
Question is exactly how it sounds. If you knew that a close family member (parent, sibling, cousin, etc) had committed a serious, awful crime like murder, rape and/or abduction and the police hadn't caught them yet, would you turn them in to the police and have them imprisoned? And the crime was committed with no extenuating circumstances, just for the sake of doing it for their own pleasure. I would certainly turn them in because that is simply the law and it is not right to let something like that go just because you thought you had a bond with that person. But I've seen this question asked on this and other forums, and it shocks me that so many people would obstruct justice and not report the crime because they refuse to be "disloyal" to the perp. Clearly, if a person did something like this, they are not the person you'd want to associate with anyway, and it isn't fair to the victims and their families for justice not to be served. Just out of curiosity, would you guys happen to share my views on this, or would you not report anything and keep quiet just because you happen to have a bond with the person that committed the act?
Yes, I would turn them in. The only person who gives me pause is my wife, but if she did such a thing with no extenuating circumstances, I would turn her in. If she did something terrible and I was certain she would never do it again, I would not turn her in, within certain limitations. But if she did something like this for her own pleasure, she is a risk to do it again.

I would not turn her in if she just committed a property crime, even if it was serious, like robbing a bank.

Btw, it isn't obstruction of justice to not turn a person in. We don't have a legal obligation to turn in other people who we know have committed crimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLinVA View Post
We are never required by law to turn in any person who we know has committed crimes. So whether we can be compelled to testify against them or not is irrelevant to the question of whether we should turn them in, which is what this question is asking. This isn't a legal question -- just an ethical one.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:50 AM

59 posts, read 48,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post

We are never required by law to turn in any person who we know has committed crimes. So the distinction between whether we can be compelled to testify against them is irrelevant to the question of whether we should turn them in, which is what this question is asking. This isn't a legal question -- just an ethical one.
Really, even murder? Correct me If I'm wrong, but I thought that not reporting a crime like rape, murder, theft counts as aiding and abetting.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:55 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,179,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandafrom97 View Post
Really, even murder? Correct me If I'm wrong, but I thought that not reporting a crime like rape, murder, theft counts as aiding and abetting.
No, aiding and abetting involves helping in the commission of the crime or helping to conceal it after the fact. Simply knowing it happened and not telling the authorities is not aiding and abetting. You have no legal obligation to tell the police about crimes that you know have occurred, including murder.

There are some specific exceptions, of course. Many states require people in certain professions (teachers, medical professionals, etc.) to report child abuse or neglect. But there is no general obligation for citizens to report crimes, regardless of seriousness.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:00 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,189,699 times
Sure. Then I'd take all their stuff.

Old 08-16-2018, 07:23 AM

486 posts, read 416,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
We are never required by law to turn in any person who we know has committed crimes. So whether we can be compelled to testify against them or not is irrelevant to the question of whether we should turn them in, which is what this question is asking. This isn't a legal question -- just an ethical one.
The original post includes: "I would certainly turn them in because that is simply the law..." so the legality of it is relevant to this entire discussion.

Old 08-16-2018, 07:52 AM

172 posts, read 108,004 times
Would depend on what the police reward is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates