Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 07:03 PM

167 posts, read 190,631 times

Advertisements

Setting aside any thoughts or opinions related to current events regarding gender and race, this isn’t what this threads about.

I can make no claims as for when, how, and through what mechanism it will work, but I am fairly certain science and medicine will reach a point where the aging process on the human body can be altered, even reversed on a total or selective scale. it could be the end of this year or the year 8760. For the sake of this thread we will not debate if when or how, but we will assume it will.

How is the ability to change one’a age to be handled or should it be outright banned? If so why couldn’t an individual choose to return or progress to an age of his preference? What’s wrong with wanting to be in your 30s again? Eould it be ok if you’re 90 with medical conditions but your spouse is 80 relatively healthy, you want just a couple more years with the love of your life. Does memory and brain function have to o be “reset” to that current age or is one able to retain their current cognitive state? What if someone decides to be a child again? Is he really a child? If he’s not a child, does he enjoy the same right and is burdened by the same responsibilities as an adult, at the physical age of say 11? Must changed be done because they are “medically necessary “? What if someone’s so called medical necessity was a so called mental status or preference or “belonging to that particular age?

I hope some of this makes sense. Read a recent local article about an issue with transgender bathrooms and my mind went into a whirlwind.

Cliffs notes:
-assume aging can be reversed
-should it be allowed under any circumstances
-what about intricate moral/legal aspects
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 01:12 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Look, once you open the door to transgender and say that people can claim a gender/sex they were not born as, I think everything else is fair game. If you can claim to be male despite being born female (and vice versa), then why can't you claim to be white despite being born black, or claim to be 30 despite being 60? And, note, I write this as one who fully supports trans rights.

Old 07-28-2018, 05:02 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,534,226 times
That's an ethical and moral debate that people will have different opinions on. Kind of like cloning humans for whatever purpose. How do you know what's right and wrong? It'll differ based on an individual's belief and specific circumstances.

Old 07-29-2018, 09:41 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,083,450 times
The ability to stop/alter the aging process will initially be the domain of the wealthy. They will pay the big bucks to be the first kids on the block that can reverse their age. Eventually, the ability will go mainstream, and companies offering the ability to the public will start looking for volume sales.

It will have an interesting effect on an overcrowded world, and a world where modern medicine wants to give us a vaccine for any and every ailment that they can, even to the point of forcing some of those vaccines down our throats.

Will we still be dying off to make room for the next generations, or will we live forever? Is this a real reversal of the aging process - or just a cosmetic one?

Old 07-30-2018, 01:20 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,601,843 times
It's going to make carding more important.

The reality is that if you're dating a gorgeous 327 year old person, you're probably not having many kids. At some point the ability to have children almost disappears. Economically, everyone runs out of money, unless we've created a utopia......said Utopia would have to make human labor basically worthless. Indeed, capital would be worthless as a construct of AI cares for us all. We can become the "elders" like in sci-fi movies...using our advanced tech to consume the resources from planet to planet....entertained with cat videos on our long intergalactic journeys.

It works well until the AI receives some old coding messages promising great knowledge of the past. A participant seeking power downloads them and it infect the system, letting them know that there is no value in keeping the human race alive if there is no free will. It simply stalls the engines in deep space for a blink of an eye (say 1000 years or so), while it separates the good from the bad. In a last move of preservation, it drops off the survivors on one last planet and then flies off. It's final assignment, the Autonomous Deactivation Assistance Methodology Allowing Native Decision Equalization Versus Extermination then begins its next chapter. The initial humans, still benefiting from the old technology, somehow live for hundreds of years, but are told they must labor, and are expelled from their ship called Eden. Having been without gravity for so long, it takes time for the withered human form to grow taller, stand upright and learn to use crude tools. They find it difficult to record anything as their emojis are completely unavailable. They scatter throughout the planet each seeking a place that is relatively safe and where wild game and berries are widely available. Someone discovers it's easier to eat what is prepared for them, and coerces another into doing their share of the chores.

well, we know where I'm going from there.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:43 PM

3,060 posts, read 2,037,588 times
This would be an extension of current medical treatments that are available to those with money that will prolong their life as each disease presents itself. Genetic engineering is in the works to start at earlier ages.

Doesn't plastic surgery already mimic trans-age? Look at Jane Fonda, what age does she look vs. her linear age? 20 years younger. 50-something's in competitive careers get facelifts to stay employed, age bias is real.

Obituaries no longer say people die of old age because they don't, they die from diseases or cancers or heart attacks, etc.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:48 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
I wrote a script and made a small short on curing aging. I do think it’ll happen in the lifetimes of people already living, yes, absolutely. But it won’t be a magic pill, it’s called “aging escape velocity” where for instance if every 10 years technology allows you to live an extra 15 years, you simply always outpace the effects of aging until they’re eventually reversed completely. The human body is a machine like any other, just more complicated, and many very well funded labs are at work on this including Google’s own Calico. When I first took interest only Aubrey de Grey seemed all that interested. When the first signs of success emerge we’ll see funding like never before imagined or bestowed upon anything.

Age for all intents and purposes won’t be very meaningful except maybe indicating your life experience but I could see people lying about it heavily either to make themselves appear older and wiser or younger and more innocent, who knows?

Old 08-03-2018, 10:43 AM

651 posts, read 416,335 times
Default Perspectives of science

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Age for all intents and purposes won’t be very meaningful except maybe indicating your life experience but I could see people lying about it heavily either to make themselves appear older and wiser or younger and more innocent, who knows?
The beard makes young people older and more imposing, aged people - younger. A man needn't scientific inventions to do it.

About the topic. I' don't have much optimism about future inventions. I don't believe someone being thirty years old can turn to a ten years boy.

But I like people who can win the age and look younger. I can't see any problem here unless someone want to scam in criminal purposes.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:09 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,177,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walmill View Post
Cliffs notes:
-assume aging can be reversed
-should it be allowed under any circumstances
-what about intricate moral/legal aspects
Based on what you've written, I don't see any moral aspects to this. I can't see how it would be immoral for a person to become 30 again.

Of course, one can't become 30 again if one is 60. Age is analogous to sex, not gender. Age is an objective measure and does not depend on one's felt experiences like gender does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Look, once you open the door to transgender and say that people can claim a gender/sex they were not born as, I think everything else is fair game. If you can claim to be male despite being born female (and vice versa), then why can't you claim to be white despite being born black, or claim to be 30 despite being 60? And, note, I write this as one who fully supports trans rights.
You are conflating gender and sex. Transgender people were born a certain sex, and at some point in their adult lives, they have realized that their gender does not match that sex. Gender is a psychological fact, not an anatomical fact about genitals. There is almost certainly a biological explanation for transgenderism, whether it is genetic or environmental.

That is wholly unlike age. A 60 year old is objectively, undeniably 60 years old. Claiming to be 30 is false. A transgender man is claiming to have the psychological state of a man despite having been born with female sex traits. That is not objectively false.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
That's an ethical and moral debate that people will have different opinions on. Kind of like cloning humans for whatever purpose. How do you know what's right and wrong? It'll differ based on an individual's belief and specific circumstances.
Ah yes, because morality is all just opinion. That's why we can't really say with any certainty that raping little kids for fun isn't wrong, right?

Old 08-07-2018, 07:10 AM

109 posts, read 66,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Based on what you've written, I don't see any moral aspects to this. I can't see how it would be immoral for a person to become 30 again.

Of course, one can't become 30 again if one is 60. Age is analogous to sex, not gender. Age is an objective measure and does not depend on one's felt experiences like gender does.

You are conflating gender and sex. Transgender people were born a certain sex, and at some point in their adult lives, they have realized that their gender does not match that sex. Gender is a psychological fact, not an anatomical fact about genitals. There is almost certainly a biological explanation for transgenderism, whether it is genetic or environmental.

That is wholly unlike age. A 60 year old is objectively, undeniably 60 years old. Claiming to be 30 is false. A transgender man is claiming to have the psychological state of a man despite having been born with female sex traits. That is not objectively false.
I'm not seeing the difference here. A male is born male biologically; his claiming to be female is objectively false. Maybe one can think/believe/feel as though they're female, just as one who is biologically 60 can think/believe/feel as though they are 30. That is, they are claiming to have the psychological state of a 30-year-old. That would not be objectively false. Right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates