Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 09:30 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,289,289 times

Advertisements

Evangelical Christians are among the strongest supporters of Israel.

How much of this is due to Biblical prophecies concerning the end of times and how much is do to contemporary political concerns (Israel is a prosperous western oriented democracy in a turbulant region, and a strong ally against a common threat (Islamic terrorism).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 09:34 AM

11,102 posts, read 7,171,699 times
They'll say it's for biblical reasons, but it's actually for modern political reasons. The marriage of politicks and hardcore religion is all-the-rage now, and the pathetic bandwagon to jump on.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:25 AM

19,044 posts, read 27,620,833 times
Israel and Saudi Arabia are two artificial countries holly dependent on US for their existence. Under whatever sauce for the crowd it is justified.

Remember what Kissinger said - by 2020 there will be no Israel.

Old 09-20-2018, 05:50 AM

179 posts, read 80,789 times
I'm an agnostic; I support Israel for a number of reasons that have nothing to do with religion, and everything to do with it being the right thing to do.

as for 'evangelicals', I consider them as a Jewish sect, despite all the whining tht may entail, and Israel is their religious 'homeland' as well.

Not all Christians or Jews support Israel, for those who might not be aware of that fact.

Old 09-20-2018, 04:05 PM

776 posts, read 395,059 times
Jerry Falwell (Sr.) embraced Israel so that Jews would give him money and adopted an anti-abortion stance so that Catholics would support him.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:49 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times
I have a few evangelical relatives and I'm totally mystified as to their rah-rah-rah-ing of Israel. From their anti-Muslim posts on Facebook, I believe it's their wish for Israel to wipe out more of the Muslim race, that's just my guess, and I could be wrong!

Overlooked, is the Jews in Israel who are opposed to their governmental policies. And it's a no-brainer as to why we don't hear more about them or how they influence our presidential elections.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:38 PM

Why would Jews not belong in Israel? Most Muslims backed Hitler, our enemy, so why concern ourselves with their violent bigotry and hate? Many Americans who don't like Israel will turn around and support illegal immigration into the U.S., by people who aren't even from here and have no history here, which is more than a little hypocritical.

Were Jews supposed to remain in the concentrations camps forever after WW II?

Christians and Jews support Israel because it's the religion's homeland, and we know what Muslims do to non-Muslims and their sacred places. Why not ask why Muslims can't be trusted?

Old 09-21-2018, 03:52 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,989,018 times
Israel is 27% Jewish, 17% Muslim and only 2% Christian. In fact there are almost as many Druze in Israel (1.6%) as there are Christians. To say that Israel is Evangelical is ignorant, they are mostly Jews. Another interesting fact, of the Arab population in Israel, 87% of them are Muslim.

60% of American Evangelicals sites God's promise to Abraham as their reason for supporting Isreal.
The 2nd most reason given is that Israel is the Jewish homeland.
The 3rd most common answer is that Israel is is important for fulfilling biblical prophecy.

Nothing mentioned here about political ideas.
In September 2016, Pew found that more than a third of evangelicals said their support for Trump in the 2016 election was based mostly on his not being Hillary Clinton
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.633a5ec9fa2e

Old 09-22-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Israel is 27% Jewish, 17% Muslim and only 2% Christian. In fact there are almost as many Druze in Israel (1.6%) as there are Christians. To say that Israel is Evangelical is ignorant, they are mostly Jews. Another interesting fact, of the Arab population in Israel, 87% of them are Muslim.

60% of American Evangelicals sites God's promise to Abraham as their reason for supporting Isreal.
The 2nd most reason given is that Israel is the Jewish homeland.
The 3rd most common answer is that Israel is is important for fulfilling biblical prophecy.

Nothing mentioned here about political ideas.
In September 2016, Pew found that more than a third of evangelicals said their support for Trump in the 2016 election was based mostly on his not being Hillary Clinton
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.633a5ec9fa2e

I can't find where anybody said it was 'evangelical', just that evangelicals support the state. The rest of your post is fine.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:08 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,907,499 times
Maybe one of the reasons is that Israel is about our only friend in the Middle East, the Palestinians hate us and have for as long as I can remember. I remember them celebrating in the streets after 9-11. Same with Iran, we are the "Evil Satan", but Israel is allied with us on that issue....But strangely we still allow thousands on Iranian students come to the US to go to our schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates