Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 01:03 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times

Advertisements

As many people are aware, there was another incident where two women were having a PRIVATE conversation in Spanish in a public grocery store and a random white lady began harassing them. As we all know, speaking foreign languages in public is not illegal.

Rao's is a famous Italian restaurant in NY. Should the police raid them because people are known to speak Italian? Greek is sometimes heard in Greek restaurants. In NYC, I've heard Orthodox Jews speak a bit of Yiddish. Most big cities have Chinatowns and Koreatowns were one can hear Chinese and Korean spoken. Are we going to shut down all these places and harass all of these people?

Or is this anger reserved for the Spanish language only? By the way, guess what? There are regular American citizens who speak Spanish. I speak some Spanish. Am I not allowed to speak it in public?

This is completely racist and it's funny when people deny it since language is intertwined with certain ethnicities. Since America is a melting pot, there are American citizens of Latino heritage.

So, if speaking foreign languages in public is NOT illegal, why is this happening? In the video, the woman says we're going to lose our country. How? Again, there are American citizens who are Latino. This woman had no knowledge of these women's citizenship. Being Latino in America is not a crime.

Here's the video...the lady was subsequently arrest for harassment since the ladies weren't minding their business and not doing anything wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ky6HypTrTI

Old 10-06-2018, 02:24 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,383,187 times
I speak English when in other countries because that is the only language in which I am fluent.

I know enough Spanish to get a tank of gas, some food and a t-shirt, but no conversation. I know even less French.

Old 10-06-2018, 03:00 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
I speak English when in other countries because that is the only language in which I am fluent.

I know enough Spanish to get a tank of gas, some food and a t-shirt, but no conversation. I know even less French.
You bring up a good point. How many Americans travel abroad and openly speak English in Europe, Asia, South America,etc.?

Old 10-06-2018, 03:08 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
I still hear Italian and Polish spoken here in Connecticut. But hardly ever compared to 30 years ago. Back then you heard it all the time. The second generation learns English. You can't force people to speak a language.

However, I do get somewhat fed up with "press one for English." English should be the official language and if you're speaking the official language, you don't need to press one for it.

Old 10-06-2018, 03:21 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,476,905 times
I'm from OK and always hearing Native Americans speak in their native tongues. I don't hear it as much as I used to, though.

Old 10-06-2018, 03:22 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
Spanish sounds better than getto English or Bronx English to me...

Old 10-06-2018, 03:27 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,060,806 times
I think everyone who moves to a country with a language different from theirs should make every effort to learn the language of that country. However, not everyone can learn at the same rate. Also, it can be very fatiguing trying to speak only in a new language. Finally, nobody is the language police with authority to harass someone else for speaking his or her native tongue. That’s horrible and abusive.

It’s also funny coming from Americans who are notorious the world over for being able to speak only one language. Some of that inability is not their fault, but some of it is.

Old 10-06-2018, 03:33 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
Who said they didn't learn the language of the country? Them not using it is no different than a single language speaker holding their silence. They got no other option than to not say anything. People with multiple languages aren't limited as such.

Old 10-06-2018, 03:41 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Spanish sounds better than getto English or Bronx English to me...
True.

I actually enjoy listening to the banter of foreign language. I have no clue what they are saying but sometimes it's a hoot going....yeah! What she said!

Old 10-06-2018, 04:25 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
As many people are aware, there was another incident where two women were having
a PRIVATE conversation in Spanish in a public grocery store and a random white lady began harassing them.
So, if speaking foreign languages in public is NOT illegal, why is this happening?
There are a LOT of very stupid people out there.
Most of them seem to lke it that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates