Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 02:35 AM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
It would result in open season on police. Dumb idea.
100% agreed. It would also result in police outright refusing to show up. Armed robberery at a bank? Nope. Domestic violence? Nah. School shooting? Welp, wait until the perp runs out of bullets. Workplace violence? We’ll let them work it out.

You don’t show up with a knife to a gun fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 02:50 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

You don’t show up with a knife to a gun fight.
they show up to a traffic stop with a gun, when most of the drivers are unarmed...

they carry gun because they think other people "might" carry. but when they show up, there is "always" a gun. people panick because of what the cops bring with them. but they don't seem to get trained on this, if they see a nervous person, they think the worse.

I don't mind them carrying s gun, but I don't know if they get trained on how people respond to them for doing so.

Old 02-13-2019, 02:51 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
What would these "non-lethal" weapons be? Are tasers and billy-clubs non-lethal? People have been killed with both of those. There have been fatal stabbings with ball-point pens.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:20 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
they show up to a traffic stop with a gun, when most of the drivers are unarmed...

they carry gun because they think other people "might" carry. but when they show up, there is "always" a gun. people panick because of what the cops bring with them. but they don't seem to get trained on this, if they see a nervous person, they think the worse.

I don't mind them carrying s gun, but I don't know if they get trained on how people respond to them for doing so.
We-ll, whether they have a gun or not, usually people don't like to have cops around unless they call them....and even then, that is not always the case.

The essential thing is, IMHO, is that people don't like being told what to do, they believe they have done nothing wrong, and they don't like it that the cop has the gall to tell them that they are in the wrong.

In the short time I was a provost marshal, I had people arguing to no end that they were not in the wrong.

So how do you train someone to handle people who are going to tell them how to do their job? I think it ought to go the other way around and the public should be trained not to argue with police.

Now, as far as me being quick to the punch (as oppose to the draw), that's the way I have sort of been trained. Infantry tactics of spreading the attention of the person in question so they can't see two people in the same view. That if I am the one without a gun, I am devastating with a punch at close range, both in laying down the pain and in how quickly I am doing it.

Is that necessary? Well, as the hand to hand one, if "you" don't listen to what I am saying, if "you" don't pay attention to me, I am going to take it that you have something up your sleeve and I am going to strike to topple you.

So, if you don't want "me" to respond to you like an assailant, please, with sugar on it, be a good citizen and pay attention to me.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 02-13-2019 at 08:15 AM..

Old 02-13-2019, 08:01 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I wouldn't get rid of the weapons, but walking the beat and community(including those familiar with the community) policing would go a long way in terms of reducing crime rates.
It may be a deterrent in a walkable area.

We lived in a gated community of 500 houses, 25 miles of private road and lake front - how do you suggest walking the beat?

Small town OK, everything is driving distance, limited sidewalks, violent crime 15.9 versus us average of 38 per Sperling (yes, do not believe in analysis you have not forged yourself). Arrests get published in the weekly paper including all details and mug shot. So do unsolved items. Open carry and people do carry!

Old 02-13-2019, 09:58 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
https://www.stern.de/digital/technik...h-8571480.html

Old 02-13-2019, 10:53 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times
What if there were more police officers carrying only non-lethal weapons?

More police officers would die.

Criminals don't carry non-lethal weapons.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:43 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
It may be a deterrent in a walkable area.

We lived in a gated community of 500 houses, 25 miles of private road and lake front - how do you suggest walking the beat?

Small town OK, everything is driving distance, limited sidewalks, violent crime 15.9 versus us average of 38 per Sperling (yes, do not believe in analysis you have not forged yourself). Arrests get published in the weekly paper including all details and mug shot. So do unsolved items. Open carry and people do carry!
There are actually similar communities that have their own security force(i.e.-the Palmer Woods community in Detroit). So, it would be anything new in that regard.

https://palmerwoods.org/
https://palmerwoods.org/members/pwa-security/

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4351...7i16384!8i8192
Census Tract 538200 in Wayne County, Michigan

Old 02-13-2019, 11:08 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Police have too much authority to begin with, plus I do not think the job of a police officer should be a 'career long type job', studies have been done with people occupying positions of authority, even for short amounts of time, and it always leads to abuse of that authority.

Id would like to see cities put police officer positions on the ballot, have qualified citizens run for these positions, and they would have term limits of 2-4 years and then someone else would have to take over, or they could even made it mandatory for all 21-35 yr olds, they all must serve at least one term as a police officer for the city they live in, but under no circumstances could anyone ever hold the position longer than 2-4 years.

We desperately NEED to change something, and do it quickly, its pretty obvious its not working or effective the way it has been...time to try something new.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:29 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
It would result in open season on police. Dumb idea.
Agreed. Plus it's easy not to get shot. Don't break the law and do what you're told if you're pulled over or arrested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates