Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2021, 10:18 AM

620 posts, read 312,702 times

Advertisements

As we progress through 21st century, it’s clear that conflict between USA and a China is unavoidable. We all can agree that we currently are already in a Cold War phase. China is an authoritarian government but so far it has played to their advantage: they can get things done far quicker since no one is there to oppose the will of great leader. That’s why they have seen unprecedented economic growth for past decade. They are also aggressively building their military. They are also heavily investing in Africa. However, due to their style, anti-Chinese sentiment is growing deep throughout the globe. Other than one or two countries like Pakistan and perhaps Russia, you can say they don’t really have true allies.

USA on the other hand has been hit hard by Covid. Our economy suffered and now we are experiencing inflation. There is a deep political divide but that has always been the case as far back as I can remember. While we have been criticized for being world-police, we get along well with government of other developed counties unlike China. I feel pretty confident in saying most counties would rather have USA as a world leader over China.

My question is this: who would win this Cold War? What would the situation look like in 2050? Will USA still remain at the top despite being hit hard with covid pandemic? Will China catch up with USA and there will be two global powers? Will China suppress USA?

What do you predict?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2021, 04:57 PM

1,651 posts, read 869,355 times
My prediction is that China will pass the U.S. economically but not necessarily militarily, though it will shorten the gap. There is just two much juice in their economy, and contrary to what CD posters try to present, the world is not going to stop trading with China. There will not be the fall of one country like the first Cold War. The emergence of a powerful China will alter the world balance. This will turn cause the world to divide until the following spheres

- Anglosphere
- Sinosphere
- Eurosphere
- Russosphere

India will probably be powerful enough to stand alone, but not powerful enough to draw other nations into its own sphere.

In this way the world will resemble Pre-WWII. If anything Russia will probably benefit the most as it will be able to play the most sides against each other. We're already hearing rumbling about how the U.S. needs to be nicer to Russia in order to contain China. Putin must be extremely happy with current world events.

Old 11-20-2021, 05:28 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,131,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish78 View Post
As we progress through 21st century, it’s clear that conflict between USA and a China is unavoidable. We all can agree that we currently are already in a Cold War phase. China is an authoritarian government but so far it has played to their advantage: they can get things done far quicker since no one is there to oppose the will of great leader. That’s why they have seen unprecedented economic growth for past decade. They are also aggressively building their military. They are also heavily investing in Africa. However, due to their style, anti-Chinese sentiment is growing deep throughout the globe. Other than one or two countries like Pakistan and perhaps Russia, you can say they don’t really have true allies.

USA on the other hand has been hit hard by Covid. Our economy suffered and now we are experiencing inflation. There is a deep political divide but that has always been the case as far back as I can remember. While we have been criticized for being world-police, we get along well with government of other developed counties unlike China. I feel pretty confident in saying most counties would rather have USA as a world leader over China.

My question is this: who would win this Cold War? What would the situation look like in 2050? Will USA still remain at the top despite being hit hard with covid pandemic? Will China catch up with USA and there will be two global powers? Will China suppress USA?

What do you predict?
Conflict IS avoidable.

If China wants to take Taiwan or other territories in East Asia: let it. I’m not willing to incur the costs of war.

Old 11-20-2021, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
My prediction is that China will pass the U.S. economically but not necessarily militarily, though it will shorten the gap. There is just two much juice in their economy, and contrary to what CD posters try to present, the world is not going to stop trading with China. There will not be the fall of one country like the first Cold War. The emergence of a powerful China will alter the world balance. This will turn cause the world to divide until the following spheres

- Anglosphere
- Sinosphere
- Eurosphere
- Russosphere

India will probably be powerful enough to stand alone, but not powerful enough to draw other nations into its own sphere.

In this way the world will resemble Pre-WWII. If anything Russia will probably benefit the most as it will be able to play the most sides against each other. We're already hearing rumbling about how the U.S. needs to be nicer to Russia in order to contain China. Putin must be extremely happy with current world events.
When you say China will pass USA in economy, do you mean overall gdp? If yes, that doesn’t mean much due to massive population difference. USA’s gdp ppp is $68k while China’s is $18k. That’s a massive gap and I don’t know if China will be able to come near it anytime soon.

Old 11-20-2021, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
Conflict IS avoidable.

If China wants to take Taiwan or other territories in East Asia: let it. I’m not willing to incur the costs of war.
I share similar sentiment but then question arises, who would stop China if not USA? Do we let them continue to run wild and suppress the will of their own citizens as well as new territory they “conquer”? At what point do other developed counties say this is enough?

Old 11-20-2021, 07:28 PM

705 posts, read 507,223 times
China would be pretty stupid to get in a war. It has a very comfortable middle class, that would end if there is a war. China doesn’t have the raw material to sustain its economy within its borders, let alone feed its population. It relies on the sea for its existence. A couple of submarines would shut down its lifelines to oil, raw material from Africa and food from the US, South America and Australia. China has been pissing off its neighbors like Japan, Vietnam, India and even the Philippines. But time will tell. China will lash out if it’s territory is infringed. And it thinks Taiwan is its territory. My fear is someone will make a mistake and then the snowball is going down the mountain and no way to stop it. It will get ugly and nobody will win.

Old 11-20-2021, 08:42 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,177,644 times
China has already surpassed the US economically. If you use GDP, of course, the US will be higher, after all, the US is the biggest debtor in the history of the world. Just look at this year, how many trillions have been spent/printed? They are part of the GDP. US Dollar is the world reserve currency and we have been abusing every country. Countries around the world want to overturn this for a very long time. That's why there is the EURO, which has failed.

The US does pay a lot of lips services to help other countries. For example, Africa, US have been talking about helping Africa for a generation, just all talk. When Americans sent "help", they just lead money with unfavorable terms and then seize natural resources. That's why African is so poor. Then came China. They send money, engineers to go help them to create trade routes. In return, they want to trade. Now, US said China is evil. Just ask the African if they welcome the Chinese or the Americans to their soil.

You said the US has a lot of allies. You are drinking too much Kool-Aid from the US Government and the media. Everyone hated the Americans. You do what the US tells you to do then you are an ally to the US. Otherwise, you an the enemy to the US, and the US will sanction you, and then drop bombs, and bullets at your countries with the allies.

China never makes "friends and allies" with bombs and bullets. They do it with trade.

What kills the US is education. The US government is deliberately dumbing down our children. How are we able to compete when school keeps on lowering the standard year after year? Instead of helping the kid that needed the help, extra tutor, etc, the government's solution is let's just make all other kids as dumb as the dumbest kid in class so they are equally dumb. I cannot see how the next generation can move this country forward.

There is no such thing as equal. Living here in the US already gives us an unfair advantage over 90% of the world's population. No where in the world where you have so much opportunities that you can start from nothing, then move up in society through hard work and some luck in just a few short years. Of course I don't expect this will be stay true in the next 10 to 30 years.

And for those of you think China want a war, please think logically. Why would they want that? What benefit does it give them for a war? At least in the US, the military industrial complex will benefit a lots. In China, not so much.

If there is a war, it will be over information warfare, which is conducted daily. I am quite worry because US government is quite incompetence. They have very tough standard on private standard, but they don't follow it themselves. Like all laws and regulations, it is for US, not for them.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 11-21-2021 at 09:17 PM.. Reason: Removed obscenity. Do not post anything like that again in Great Debates.

Old 11-20-2021, 09:52 PM

25,583 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
As we progress through 21st century, it’s clear that conflict between USA and a China is unavoidable...............

What do you predict?
China will collapse. They are friendless in the world. They accept almost no immigrants and Chinese women have stopped having enough children to maintain the population. They will lose half their population in 75 years.
China is 65% dependent upon coal and they are having rolling blackouts. What the hell kind of uber-successful country relies on coal and cannot keep the lights on during the winter?

US will continue to grow. We cannot beat back all the people trying to come to America so regardless of birth rate, America will grow economically.

China is mostly capable of drawing artist concepts of future weapons and infrastructure. There are 11 nuclear powered super carriers in the world and every one of them flies an American flag. China has two conventionally powered carriers and neither of them even has a catapult, so you have to wonder just what the hell they think they are going to launch that can do real damage.

Old 11-20-2021, 10:00 PM

Quote:
When you say China will pass USA in economy, do you mean overall gdp? If yes, that doesn’t mean much due to massive population difference. USA’s gdp ppp is $68k while China’s is $18k. That’s a massive gap and I don’t know if China will be able to come near it anytime soon.
I was referring to a combination of economic factors (GDP, GNP, Purchasing Power, etc.). GDP is held to the highest standard, but it is really only one measure of an economy. It's just the easiest to understand so people typically use it as the barometer of success. Same applies to GDP per capita. China's population is massive. Doubtful they could ever surpass on a per capita bases, unless something bad happens in the U.S. causing GDP per capita to nosedive.

Old 11-20-2021, 10:16 PM

OP I sense your intentions for this thread is to spark intellectual debate. I must warn you though, if this is indeed your intention, you're not going to get too far. Unfortunately, a lot of people on both sides have been brain washed to see their side as some sort of world savior and the other side as an evil entity that is trying to destroy the world. This leads people to disregard logic and reasoning and resort to saying, "We can blow your country up first", or "more people like my country then yours", or "your country will collapse." "Cold War" which is just a period of heightened geopolitical tension, but posters are already bringing up hot war issues. Can't blame them, were all human and subject to tribalism at the end of the day. Be prepared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates