Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2009, 09:48 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,235,692 times

Advertisements

We must debate mercy killing of disabled babies, say top doctors| News | This is London

This topic is definitely tugging at me in two directions. What do you think?

Old 02-13-2009, 10:08 PM

9,904 posts, read 13,923,729 times
I think that if a child is born severely disabled and the parents decide they cannot adequately care for it, then doctors should not be fighting to keep the child alive and if the child is suffering then doctors should be able to end that suffering with the parent's consent.

If a child is born severely disabled and the parents decide they can care for it then I believe doctors should do whatever they can to keep the child alive.

I personally support both euthanasia and abortion. I have no stomach for quantity over quality arguments, life above all else arguments.
I also support whatever decision is made by the individual and in the case of children who cannot decide I support whatever decision is made by those who bore them, unless it involves more needless suffering.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:31 AM

48,502 posts, read 97,051,418 times
well;does that mean that babies that are born to p[arents that can afford the care are alowed to live and those that are not are killed.Then what about older people that are not able to care for themsleves? I have a hrdtime believing that doctor will do thisd but then they have been known to cut new borns throat when dorn breahting in late term abortions.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:08 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,241,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
We must debate mercy killing of disabled babies, say top doctors| News | This is London

This topic is definitely tugging at me in two directions. What do you think?
I think the wording is messing with me. If you have someone who is being kept alive by a machine then it makes sense that by pulling the plug you are not killing the child. The child is dying a natural death.

I am going to go off and think about it for a little longer.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:23 AM

17,765 posts, read 39,809,008 times
One word .. choice.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:35 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,663,042 times
Frightening. Besides, don't drs already 'steer' patients/caregivers to decisions regarding the continuation of treatment already? Would this bill give drs the ability to decide the course of treatment against the patients/caregivers wishes? If so, then this is not something that should happen - not for the elderly, the disabled or the very young. Self determination is paramount and to cede that right to a dr who may or may not have your/the patients best interest at heart is shortsighted at best and completely draconian at worst. I would fear to be treated by a dr who ultimately had more rights over my child then I do.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:37 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,663,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
One word .. choice.
So do you believe abortion rights extend to newborns? Infants? Toddlers? Children? Where do you draw the line for 'choice'? And is there a difference in intent? If a woman decides to euthanize her newborn because it is the wrong sex/has a clubfoot/spina bifida/downs? Where is that line?

Old 02-14-2009, 09:42 AM
NCN

21,667 posts, read 25,690,936 times
This is a very dangerous debate. I could not believe anyone would have the nerve to suggest such things during my lifetime. Human morals are on a very slippery slope. It all started with abortion and gets worse day by day, but there seems to be an escalation recently. Has the whole world gone mad?

Old 02-14-2009, 11:33 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,709,359 times
I think we are approaching a time when "soylent green" is real. We live in a hedonistic society that is rapidly becoming desensitized and babies seem to be more of a nuisance than anything. I can see the day when aborted fetus's and unwanted babies are processed back into our food chain. Perhaps as pig food, or maybe fertilizer, or how about as an appetizer like monkey brains.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:33 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,241,987 times
I don't think that many people are prepared to deal with the consequences of having a child. I think it is an irresponsible parent that has a child with severe disabilities unless they have already mapped out the finances for institutional care should that child outlive the parent.

This is interesting:
Researchers found that disabled children are physically abused at twice the rate of other children, sexually abused at nearly twice the rate and emotionally neglected at almost three times the rate.
Overall, children with disabilities are maltreated at 1.7 times the rate of other children. And in nearly half of those abuse cases, the child's disability was at the root of the abuse or neglect, according to the report by the agency, a part of the Health and Human Services Department.
A Disabled Child Is Seen More Likely to Be Abused - New York Times
As it stands a huge population of children with disabilities are tossed around in fostercare because the biological parent is in over their head.

Youth with Disabilities in the Foster Care System: Barriers to Success and Proposed Policy Solutions (http://www.ncd.gov/newsroom/publications/2008/FosterCareSystem_Report.html - broken link)

And then if they are adopted there is always this possibility:

Abuser of disabled children imprisoned

Abuser of disabled children imprisoned - The Boston Globe

Maybe there is a good point to be made here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.