Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2022, 12:51 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,080 times

Advertisements

I am what you call tolerant AND acceptable of any LGBTQ person, but if God were to tell me which would you rather be re-born as, I would say "hetero please". Would that label me homophobic?

Another example would be if God were to ask a Caucasion person the same thing, but choose either Caucasion or minority. If they choose Caucasion, would that automatically make them a racist?

The DW and I had a discussion about this last night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2022, 01:14 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
I am what you call tolerant AND acceptable of any LGBTQ person, but if God were to tell me which would you rather be re-born as, I would say "hetero please". Would that label me homophobic?

Another example would be if God were to ask a Caucasion person the same thing, but choose either Caucasion or minority. If they choose Caucasion, would that automatically make them a racist?

Having a personal preference for what is already familiar to you, and taking comfort from that, does not necessarily imply that you must also be negative towards those who are different from yourself.

It all comes down to a simple rule that many of us learned at one time or another in our lives: "Live and let live."

What did the DW say?

Old 04-21-2022, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Having a personal preference for what is already familiar to you, and taking comfort from that, does not necessarily imply that you must also be negative towards those who are different from yourself.

It all comes down to a simple rule that many of us learned at one time or another in our lives: "Live and let live."

What did the DW say?
Well, I am a tad more on the conservative side when it comes to marriage and sexuality than she is, but I am more tolerant and accepting of ANYONE regardless of their sexuality. I think it has to do with the differences in both our upbringings. I think I can honestly say if my daughter or son came out to me today, I would have absolutely NO issue with it. As I have gotten older, who a person loves is their business and I will support "the right for people to love freely", but like in my previous post, I have my personal preference. She understands why I am the way I am, and knows I have a good heart and good intentions, but she just wishes I would relax my conservative ways on some occasions and when it comes to certain topics, but we never had an argument about them.

Old 04-21-2022, 01:51 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Sometimes going back to word definitions helps re-center.

Consider what the term phobic actually means:

Merriam-Webster: a person with an extreme irrational fear of or aversion to something.

If you are not afraid of or repulsed by a sexual preference you don't happen to share, you're not homophobic. By extension, someone who leaps to conclusions and labels you homophobic just because you don't share their preference probably has their own issues. You aren't responsible for those.

Old 04-21-2022, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Sometimes going back to word definitions helps re-center.

Consider what the term phobic actually means:

Merriam-Webster: a person with an extreme irrational fear of or aversion to something

If you are not afraid of or repulsed by a sexual preference you don't happen to share, you're not homophobic. By extension, someone who leaps to the conclusion that you are homophobic just because you are hetero probably has their own issues. You didn't create those.
Thanks. And yes, I always had an issue with the "phobic" part of that word...lol

Old 04-21-2022, 04:15 PM

880 posts, read 565,021 times
Quote:

I don't think there's anything wrong with having a preference, and I don't think that it's racist to have a preference.

When I hit puberty... I had an equal opportunity interest in any woman that was attractive. I could have cared less what shade of melanin her skin was. I think it's OK to even say you aren't interested in a particular sex or race (physically). But I think as a single male, you would be really limiting your available pool of awesome dates.

I have a preference, and I found it in my wife.

Old 04-21-2022, 07:00 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,855 times
Quote:

Many gay parents would also prefer their children to be straight, rather than gay. The thought of their children growing up in a homophobic world, a world where they will likely be harassed, bullied, be targets of violence, crime victims, discrimination, feeling isolated and depressed, struggle with self-hatred, be at high risk of suicide, etc, is not something any parent would want for their children, even gay parents.

Many gay people will say overall, their satisfied with their orientation, but one also has to remember, it’s often hard to miss that which you’ve never had. If you find having sex with the opposite gender distasteful to begin with, it can be hard to make yourself crave that. It’s the hetero sexist world that makes gay people want to be straight. If one only sees beauty, sexual attraction, of the same gender, rather than the opposite gender, and that’s all you know you, then that’s all you’ll understand.

Old 04-21-2022, 07:40 PM

3,060 posts, read 2,035,841 times
It is low-risk to choose what we know, especially if that choice confers benefits which being white and hetero does at this time in our country. I wonder if I would choose to be male because of those "benefits"? I don't think I'd be anti-female doing that after a lifetime of seeing how women are treated as less-than. Do I owe women anything? I don't think I do.

What would be interesting is to ask a minority if they would choose to be white, or a gay person whether they would switch to hetero. That would be much more informative IMO. Would they be racist or homo-hating to change? I think they would be on a personal level but not on a large scale.

Minority people have their own phobic-issues, about shades of skin color, religion and other issues.

Old 04-21-2022, 09:42 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:

Is the question would you be homophobic (or racist) or would you be labeled as homophobic (or racist)? I'm not sure we can have open and honest debate on that topic anymore. Or can we even have open and honest debate on the topic of whether we can even have open and honest debate.

Consider if you will the reaction to Elon Musk's offer to buy Twitter. Regardless of which side of Musk's offer one is on, they have to admit the very question of open debate is itself being questioned.

Old 04-21-2022, 09:48 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:

If you said minority, would it mean you hate caucasians?

If your wife said female does it mean she hates men?

Nope.

The entire premise frankly smells of cis-gendered white guilt where it would be fine to want to be gay, black or whatnot but *gasp* saying you'd prefer straight white male is some sort of awful thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates