Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 09:30 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,488,806 times

Advertisements

I think in medieval times, people were considered "adults" at about 14 or 15 and even got married that early. People matured earlier in the old days.

Nowadays people are maturing later than ever.. anyone see the possibility of the legal age for sex being raised beyond 18 as society deems one isn't a mature adult yet at 18?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 09:40 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,923,361 times
I doubt it. Sex is becoming socially acceptable for teens at a very young age. I'm relatively young (20s), and even I can see that teens today are much more sexually active and accepting of sexual relationships than when I was a teen not too long ago.

That being said, I don't think the age limits will go down either. I think Age of Consent laws will be left alone. As it is, they're rarely ever enforced between two consenting teenagers who are underage. They usually only come up when an adult is messing around with a minor, and in most states, the age limits for legal adult-minor relations are already in the 17-18 range, so I don't envision much of a change there.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:45 PM

421 posts, read 448,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I think in medieval times, people were considered "adults" at about 14 or 15 and even got married that early. People matured earlier in the old days.

Nowadays people are maturing later than ever.. anyone see the possibility of the legal age for sex being raised beyond 18 as society deems one isn't a mature adult yet at 18?
age of consent in the 19th century in the UK was about 12. People are 'maturing' sexually earlier now than then, so that's not the issue.

My suggestion is that there are two competing pressures, one is that as we invest more in child education it becomes less preferable to let them have sex at an earlier age. So, when formal education ended at 11, consent age was 12. So there is a pressure to increase the age as education standards increase.

Against that is that girls reach sexual maturity(ie can have sex) at about 9ish, and boys at 12 ish and as health gets better this gets younger. So, people are biologically programed to have sex at 10,11,12, but socially conditioned to wait until 16, 18, 21. I suppose the question is how far you can go against biology!

Old 10-17-2010, 09:54 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,870,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post

In terms of physical maturity, they're reaching it at increasingly younger ages. Given that, i seriously doubt consent age could be raised.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:25 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,923,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattos_12 View Post

Against that is that girls reach sexual maturity(ie can have sex) at about 9ish, and boys at 12 ish and as health gets better this gets younger.
I've read that obesity is actually believed to be the cause of earlier puberty in kids today, because of the excess hormones that come with a higher weight.

I've noticed this in my life too. The trend is that my heavier friends started their periods at a younger age than my thinner friends.

The human body works in interesting ways.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
I've read that obesity is actually believed to be the cause of earlier puberty in kids today, because of the excess hormones that come with a higher weight.

I've noticed this in my life too. The trend is that my heavier friends started their periods at a younger age than my thinner friends.

The human body works in interesting ways.

Although, by that logic boys should be starting puberty later...which their not. Could be a factor though, its an interesting side effect!

Old 10-17-2010, 10:52 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,054,775 times
How could you send someone off to war to die and yet not allow them the right to consentual sex?

Old 10-17-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
How could you send someone off to war to die and yet not allow them the right to consentual sex?
Because the two aren't linked? Unless you think they are?

Old 10-18-2010, 12:17 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,054,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattos_12 View Post
Because the two aren't linked? Unless you think they are?
I see the two as linked.......totally.

You are mature enough to decide you are going to go to war and possibly end up losing your limbs or your life and have the lives of your fellow soldiers in your hands..........yet you are too immature to decide whether or not you can have sex?

OMG!

Old 10-18-2010, 12:30 AM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
It will probably be lowered. There is no reason, or movement that I know of, that calls for making it higher. Besides, you can't really put an age legalized sex, or leagalize it at all really. All you can do is try to prevent very young people from being taken advantage of sexually by older people ... and even that doesn't really work out for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates