Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 09:44 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times

Advertisements

I'm not doing as well this year. I cut my magazine subscriptions down from 16 to about half a dozen. The earlier post about Mah-Jong is interesting. There is definitely a skill set that has to be learned to play the game, and I wondered if it relates as a learning tool for young Chinese who have to learn their language. Programming of any type can be a significant exercise for the mind.

Like physical fitness, exercising the mind for overall health involves stretching exercises, and a workout in various areas, such as language, math, logic, intuition, prediction, historical research, current events, and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 09:46 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Our brains don't get fed, so they don't get fat and don't need the workout.

I do the puzzles in the back of Harpers and Atlantic Monthly, and I blame the lousy puzzlemasters if I can't completely solve it. After doing those, there isn't much left to really tax the brain.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-06-2009 at 10:04 AM..

Old 04-06-2009, 10:25 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
I do a crossword every day, I read constantly - I like to read a variety of books whether it be auto/biography, histories, cookbooks and of course all sorts of fiction from literary to the occasional chick lit. And I do count C-D as a brain sharpening tool as well. I have learned a lot from all sorts of viewpoints, some I agree with others I don't - but I always learn.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:01 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,834,060 times
My brain is crammed full of enough useless knowledge to last several lifetimes.

The last thing I need to do is put more in.

The only reading I do is the program schedule in the TV guide, and info on specific subjects that I can Google, like “fixing cat scratches in leather furniture” or “growing tomatoes in containers”.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:45 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Thanks to everyone who posted so far.
Before starting this thread I had the suspicion that it would not be interesting for most. I guess I'm right.
It's not that it's not interesting to most. It's that they are too busy watching American Idol (or, as some astute poster here called it, American Idle) to have an answer for you.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:08 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times
I write for a living and I write for fun. I am a sponge for information. I'm always plucking new things from the news, television, everyday life - even from here. I see something I am not familiar with, I hop online and research it.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:39 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Well, if you're pretty/attractive/fit, you don't really need a brain in this particular society.

Oh, that's not true. As a mature man, I have mobs of pretty young women following me around everywhere I go, strewing flowers in my path and attaching themselves to my limbs like so many nubile cuddly koalas, and I've been told by reliable sources that I have at least one brain and possibly many more.

I do stay fit, however, by carrying bags of money -- rolls of silver dollars, wads of fifties and hundreds -- everywhere I go. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if my level of fitness were at least part of what makes me so attractive to the opposite sex.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:31 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,139,161 times
Default Your point is wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Fitness gyms everywhere! Joggers everywhere! What do Americans do to work out their brains?
I wonder about this quite often. Some Americans don't care about their physical condition and neglect the brain as well. But some really put in much effort to maintain their body and mind. I'd like to know what they do?
Although many professions require using the brain I am not interested in how much you work your brain at your job. I want to know what you do to work your brain in your spare time only. If it's job related, don't bother to post.
Have you never worked out before Visvaldis? A good workout IS good for your brain. Your circulation improves, more blood goes to your brain, you sleep better. You clear away stress and sweat toxins out. Why do you think so many very successful people start their days with aerobic exercize?

Forget the sudoku, run a few miles!

Old 04-07-2009, 11:37 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,593,481 times
Jeopardy!

Old 04-08-2009, 08:21 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
You said besides work...for some of us, our work is really mentally taxing, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates