Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 05:55 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,923,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
I don't understand your point. Obama identifies himself as black and so does the public. What are you trying to say?
The point is, even though Obama himself says he is a black man, white people continually say he is not black because he is successful and known.

Like I stated earlier, if Obama was a bum on the corner, the same whites who say he is white now would say look at that black bum instead.

They pick and choose.

Emphasize his whiteness when something good happens, etc.

Emphasize his blackness when he messes up, etc.

The lack of a consistent viewpoint is what annoys me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 06:11 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I've seen Tropolis's post history, it's pretty clear it's not the white people who are racist in this thread.

I've noticed ppl of a mixed heritage, particularly mixed Blk/wht have
alot of identity problems.
I know someone with mixed children, heard them make some
comments, that included denial of a part of their heritage.
I really blame alot of it on the parents.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:14 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
The point is, even though Obama himself says he is a black man, white people continually say he is not black because he is successful and known.
Ridiculous.

For every white person who says Obama isn't a black man, there are 10 blacks who are saying he isn't "black enough."

Old 07-09-2009, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
I've noticed ppl of a mixed heritage, particularly mixed Blk/wht have
alot of identity problems.
I know someone with mixed children, heard them make some
comments, that included denial of a part of their heritage.
I really blame alot of it on the parents.
It is somewhat confusing sometimes. I identify myself as mixed. On societal issues though I will convert to black. My lifestyle is more white conservative though, I relate more to whites in that regard. Most of my friends are white, my girlfriend is white, etc. If there is such a thing as "acting white" I have more white characteristics in that regard. Anytime though I hear blacks being trashed I will drop the white part and go in full black assault and defense mode. I'll tell you this though, I wouldnt want it any other way. There are great advantages of being two races. I would almost feel bored being just white or black.

Last edited by tropolis; 07-09-2009 at 06:31 AM..

Old 07-09-2009, 06:28 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Why would you want to be labeled anything? ANY labeling by race contributes to racism and racial divides in America. Who cares? Stop talking about race and it will become a non-issue. The color of your skin matters as much as the color of your eyes. People who get bent out of shape over race (whites hating blacks, blacks insisting whites are discriminating, whatever) are doing nothing but slowing down progress away from racism. Until we stop labeling people based on race, racism will still be an issue.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:31 AM

tropolis
Alot of that is simply because of what they've heard others say,
mainly at home. It's a shame so many make an issue out of this.
Including President Obama, it obvious he is a blk man be it a mixed
heritage or not, not to deny his heritage, but irrevalent.

Last edited by virgode; 07-09-2009 at 06:32 AM.. Reason: address op

Old 07-09-2009, 06:33 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.ortega View Post
Because they don't want people that are not successful labeled as WHITE. White people feel if your a low life, black/hispanic ( illegal immigrant), no job, collecting welfare and living in the projects type of individual you are TRASH but as soon as you move into that white neighborhood with a degree and a great career driving a Benz then they accept you into their society. As racist and messed up how it sounds that's exactly how they are and how people are treated and judged in this society..
Generalize much?

Old 07-09-2009, 06:42 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I've seen Tropolis's post history, it's pretty clear it's not the white people who are racist in this thread.
There are 2 other posters on this thread have racist traits.

One of them self-identifies as a racist and the other says that its understandable & justifiable to be uncomfortable around blacks, clearly demonstrating a racist attitude.

Yet, nothing is said about them. Is it because they are on the "right" side of the issue?

IMO, this is where the behavior that the OP is talking about comes from. So many people feel "uncomfortable " around blacks that they try to "strip" that attribute when they are successful.

Its more about the people demonstrating the behavior and their feelings. Many who demonstrate the behavior are so uncomfortable that they don't know what else to do but to attach whatever attribute to make themselves comfortable.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
It is somewhat confusing sometimes. I identify myself as mixed. On societal issues though I will convert to black. My lifestyle is more white conservative though, I relate more to whites in that regard. Most of my friends are white, my girlfriend is white, etc. If there is such a thing as "acting white" I have more white characteristics in that regard. Anytime though I hear blacks being trashed I will drop the white part and go in full black assault and defense mode. I'll tell you this though, I wouldnt want it any other way. There are great advantages of being two races. I would almost feel bored being just white or black.

It's difficult to here that crap and not to feel like you have to defend it,
It's a part of who you are as well.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
There are 2 other posters on this thread have racist traits.

One of them self-identifies as a racist and the other says that its understandable & justifiable to be uncomfortable around blacks, clearly demonstrating a racist attitude.

Yet, nothing is said about them. Is it because they are on the "right" side of the issue?

IMO, this is where the behavior that the OP is talking about comes from. So many people feel "uncomfortable " around blacks that they try to "strip" that attribute when they are successful.

Its more about the people demonstrating the behavior and their feelings. Many who demonstrate the behavior are so uncomfortable that they don't know what else to do but to attach whatever attribute to make themselves comfortable.
Bingo.

BurtsBees is an admitted white supremacist who attacks people for having interracial relationships, several times on this forum, yet he is given a pass and defended by one here, until I made an example of him in my other post and rinsed my hands of him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates