Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2010, 01:45 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
If you eat it straight, then yes you have to eat a lot. It works a lot better if you dissolve the THC in butter first.

So you want to outlaw Vitamin A and alcohol? Or legalize pot? Which cure for hypocrisy do you choose?

If you want to rid the world of hypocrisy you need to do more than legalize marijuana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
my question to you is who is denying the fact that there may be health effects...thats not the point thats being argued.

the point is we have plenty of other things that are much worse in society such as alcohol and cigarettes, and these things are perfectly legal, yet we have a drug war going on....gangs on the streets killing people, selling to minors, and possibly allowing for harder drugs to be exchanged (because lets be honest here drug dealers are gonna sell everything they have)...plus i have read somewhere (dont have the quote off hand but i could find it if you want) that MJ is one of the largest cash crops in the US right now...

...basically what i am saying is if you legalize it, you have regulation (to an extent but still regulation nonetheless), taxation of the possibly largest cash crop in the US, and eliminates the need for drug dealers on the streets (once again not completely but at least to an extent)...and the argument is it has SOME health effects yet people dont even bat an eye at the other LEGAL drugs? if you dont like MJ dont smoke it...i dont...but the pros out weight the cons greatly and the cons while i see them most of society could give a ****, its the social stigma that has been put on the "weed" by the government and popular media to keep it illegal for their own greedy and personal reasons...so much for looking out for all americans

/end rant

If we legalize MJ then what is next? Crack, meth, heroine?

Prescription medication is regulated and I know of and I know personally people who have had to go to rehab, because of oxycotin (or whatever it is) addictions. I here of pharmacies being robbed all the time.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:00 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
"If we legalize MJ then what is next? Crack, meth, heroine?"

I love it when people use this argument.

Crack, Meth Heroin vs Marijuana is apples and oranges.

The previous are extremely dangerous, highly addictive and a potential for overdose. There is no proof of any physical addiction to marijuana.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:02 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,853,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
If we legalize MJ then what is next? Crack, meth, heroine?

Prescription medication is regulated and I know of and I know personally people who have had to go to rehab, because of oxycotin (or whatever it is) addictions. I here of pharmacies being robbed all the time.
did you read my post at all....i clearly stated on of the pros of legalizing it

"gangs on the streets killing people, selling to minors, and possibly allowing for harder drugs to be exchanged (because lets be honest here drug dealers are gonna sell everything they have)"

lets stay on topic here i posted the mortality statistics also another reason why we are/I am not arguing to legalize crack, meth, heroine, etc. plus im sure its been proven somewhere...or at least i would hope its common sense that crack, meth, heroine are some of the most addictive substances out there period end of story.

and i dont understand the point you were making when saying prescription drugs are regulated and that you know people who have gone to rehab because of oxycotin addictions....once again stay on topic please...oxycotin isnt MJ....places get robbed lets make sure we dont legalize anything that is illegal now that has the potential to be taken without permission (robbed?)

Old 05-11-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
If you want to rid the world of hypocrisy you need to do more than legalize marijuana.
it was a specific simple question directed towards you though...dont divert from the question because the answer could make you a hypocrite so be it...life ain't fair as my dad says

Old 05-11-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
did you read my post at all....i clearly stated on of the pros of legalizing it

"gangs on the streets killing people, selling to minors, and possibly allowing for harder drugs to be exchanged (because lets be honest here drug dealers are gonna sell everything they have)"

lets stay on topic here i posted the mortality statistics also another reason why we are/I am not arguing to legalize crack, meth, heroine, etc. plus im sure its been proven somewhere...or at least i would hope its common sense that crack, meth, heroine are some of the most addictive substances out there period end of story.

and i dont understand the point you were making when saying prescription drugs are regulated and that you know people who have gone to rehab because of oxycotin addictions....once again stay on topic please...oxycotin isnt MJ....places get robbed lets make sure we dont legalize anything that is illegal now that has the potential to be taken without permission (robbed?)
Marijuana is addictive. When people smoke it like tobacco they will become just as addicted to MJ as they are to tobacco, but for know it's too hard to get and too expensive.
The reason I brought up the oxycotin is as an example of a regulated drug. It is legal by prescription, as will marijuana when they legalize it. Gangs will still sell it on the street, just like perscribed meds.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
it was a specific simple question directed towards you though...dont divert from the question because the answer could make you a hypocrite so be it...life ain't fair as my dad says
What are you the new moderator?

Okay lets outlaw vitamin A!

Just kidding, I would legalize marijuana.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Marijuana is addictive. When people smoke it like tobacco they will become just as addicted to MJ as they are to tobacco, but for know it's too hard to get and too expensive.
The reason I brought up the oxycotin is as an example of a regulated drug. It is legal by prescription, as will marijuana when they legalize it. Gangs will still sell it on the street, just like perscribed meds.
first of all i would appreciate a source stating that when people smoke MJ it becomes just as addictive as tobacco, that could be the case but i have read otherwise in this forum and will frankly disregard this if someone isn't proven right or wrong, because....

...chocolate is addictive, nicotine in the cigarettes not the tobacco itself (as far as i know) is addictive, alcohol is addictive, people will always find some way to addict themselves to something...what i'm trying to say is saying something is addictive is not a good reason for it to stay illegal.

thank you for clarifying why you brought up oxycotin, but i have to bring up again, nothing we do is ever going to get rid of the gangs selling drugs, but when its legalized, regulated, sold over the counter like other over the counter drugs people will start to move away from buying from gangs dealers...im going to assume for a moment there are some people who love the gangs but im also going to assume that the only reason others are going to drug dealers is because thats really the only legal way of doing it now...dealers are dangerous, make it legal and the casual users with steer clear of the danger one would assume.

just a note i realize people grow their own but i didnt bring that up because those people are more often than not the dealers

Old 05-11-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
What are you the new moderator?

Okay lets outlaw vitamin A!

Just kidding, I would legalize marijuana.
i apologize i didnt mean to sound controlling or anything like that i just felt that in a forum titled great debates it should be just that great debates and we shouldnt disregard other peoples arguments and such...

Old 05-11-2010, 03:22 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,648 times
Quote:
We can't control everything about the world. But legalizing marijuana would at least end some hypocrisy. One step at a time right?

Quote:
This is why they should legalize marijuana for more than just medical prescription use. Do you see gangs selling alcohol or tobacco on the street? No, the only legal drugs sold on the street are those that you have to have a prescription for.

Who would risk buying from a shady dealer if you could go to a licensed liquor store or dispensary instead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates