Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2023, 09:42 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times

Advertisements

From the current The Week magazine:

"Last month, the Gov. of Arkansas, eliminated a requirement for 14 and 15YO's to have a state permit to get a job. The move is part of a broader push to loosen child labor laws by conservative state legislatures. The Iowa legislature is considering a bill that would allow 14YO's to work in industrial freezers and meat coolers, and allow 15YO's to work on assembly lines moving items that weigh up to 50 lbs. In Ohio, there's a push to allow 14 and 15YO's to work until 9pm during the school year, in violation of Federal laws, while the MN legislature is debating letting the construction industry recruit 16 and 17YO's."

"We're talking about teenagers working in dangerous plants and factories like in the 19th century."

"With the current labor shortage, employers can benefit too. Besides, kids spent too much time on social media, and too little growing up so anything reasonable that a state can do to make them easier to work is welcome."

What do you think? Pro's and Con's?

Personally, I think it's a good idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2023, 09:44 AM

3,697 posts, read 4,994,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

"Last month, the Gov. of Arkansas, eliminated a requirement for 14 and 15YO's to have a state permit to get a job. The move is part of a broader push to loosen child labor laws by conservative state legislatures. The Iowa legislature is considering a bill that would allow 14YO's to work in industrial freezers and meat coolers, and allow 15YO's to work on assembly lines moving items that weigh up to 50 lbs. In Ohio, there's a push to allow 14 and 15YO's to work until 9pm during the school year, in violation of Federal laws, while the MN legislature is debating letting the construction industry recruit 16 and 17YO's."

"We're talking about teenagers working in dangerous plants and factories like in the 19th century."

"With the current labor shortage, employers can benefit too. Besides, kids spent too much time on social media, and too little growing up so anything reasonable that a state can do to make them easier to work is welcome."

What do you think? Pro's and Con's?

Personally, I think it's a good idea!
Bad idea. There are real safety issues in these kinds of environments and working till 9pm is unacceptable in the school year(the kid needs some sleep).

Old 04-02-2023, 09:56 AM

5,654 posts, read 3,139,106 times
I lean towards "bad idea" as well. I can see maybe 3 hours after school, but not 9 o'clock.

Old 04-02-2023, 11:26 AM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Terrible idea. Nothing good about it. Where will they draw the line on what a kid will be used for in the quest for profits. We went down this road over a hundred years ago, when nine year olds were forced to work in the coal mines to pay off the debts of their fathers who were killed in mine accidents. Toxic capitalism is back. We put an end to child labor long ago, though it was highly resisted by, you guessed it, Southern states, that wanted to work Black kids in the fields for pitiful pay. Now the same Southern states are going back to their lawless way.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-02-2023, 01:47 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
Very bad idea. Detrimental to children and families well being.
I started work at age 14 because my mother needed the money, divorced with 3 kids, I was the oldest.

I did not volunteer and wasn't asked, she got me permitted and got me a job in a supermarket, not dangerous, but I could have been assigned to lift heavy boxes. Minimum wage.
I was a good student but my schoolwork and grades didn't improve due to working 20 hours a week.

IMO minimum age, with restrictions about safety, should be at least 16, maybe older.
We need educated people for the next generation.

Old 04-03-2023, 08:24 AM

8,050 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

"Last month, the Gov. of Arkansas, eliminated a requirement for 14 and 15YO's to have a state permit to get a job...
A state permit? I live in PA and I never heard of that.

When my son was 13 he got a paid job at our church. I took him to the local public high school to get "working papers" but they said he was too young, so just let him go ahead and work without the papers.

Old 04-03-2023, 08:39 AM

8,050 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Here's a link. I deliberately chose an NPR link because it was the most Left Wing I found.

The new law does not force children to work. The new law does not allow children to work who were prevented from working before.

The new law simply says that 14 and 15 year olds no longer need the State's permission to get a job. In the past, it seems the "state permit" was just a rubber stamp anyway. Let's not get carried away. Arkansas is not becoming Red China.

https://www.npr.org/2023/03/10/11625...ckabee-sanders

Old 04-03-2023, 05:19 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
When I just turned 18, I was working full time supporting myself and attending my last semester in high school. It was NOT fun.

My schedule at the restaurant was 6pm to 2am, and then I got 5 hours of sleep and it was back in school from 8am to 4pm. Homework got done in between times.

We had study mods and I used those to sleep. I slept all weekend (until my shift started at work). I'm glad I didn't drive then, or I would have been sleeping at the wheel.

I managed to pass all my classes and graduate, but there were some classes that offered extra work for a B or A grade. I couldn't do that because I didn't have the time. Had I been aiming at college, that could have hurt me.

I can't imagine 14- and 15-year-olds doing this. If they have to work jobs full time like I did, there's something wrong with the family and if the state was still giving permission, they would then see that and try to help. They can't do that if the kids are working without that permission.

Old 04-03-2023, 07:09 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
What's wrong with letting kids be kids? They have the rest of their life to work!

I don't think allowing younger kids to work shows us advancing as a society.

Old 04-03-2023, 07:55 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
At 14 I was mowing yards with a push mower and hand clippers that I had to use everywhere they use a weedeater now, for $3-$5 a yard. And I sold the local newspaper at a clothing factory in town. Didn't even try to get a regular part time job till I was 16.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates