Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 06:16 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

Let me vent and inject a little reality into you people.

Most of the people in this country and world should be ashamed at not being in tune at what's really going on there.

Have you looked at pictures of that country and the people living there? Do you realize there are security questions there now? People luieting. People shooting. Riots. People going out of control. Diseases, Diarreah, Malaria, hepitiotis that can possibly spread to the U.S now and then get you & kids, family, pets infected.

They dont eat as it was. Its a very poor country. And what's sad is that they dont have anything to offer back to countries that help them. Its not like they have an oil field or crops, or car manufactuers.

One U.S reporter asked a local there "do you feel like nobody is helping because there's so many to help or because they don't care" The local responsed "no, because nobody cares about us, nobody cares"

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? All these donations, all this money going in from other countries including ours and they still think we're not helping. Runways are jammed because shipments are coming into them.

Are we supposed to put our military on their streets now to help control the country like Iraq??

30 million Americans on welfare. So many homeless. It was a 7.0 earthquake, not a 9.0. No tsunami. Wake up to the reality of things..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 07:06 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,982,205 times
How is Malaria in Haiti going to infect the children here?

The people down there are not watching coverage of the help that they're getting on television, or reading about it on the Internet. It's probably trickling in very slowly, and is probably not being greatly noticed right now from those who have family members stuck under rubble.

When your house collapses on top of your wife and children, I doubt it matters much to you whether it was a Category 3 hurricane or a 7.0 earthquake or a tsunami. What are you saying, the Hatians in the midst of disaster should be happy that it was "only" a 7.0 earthquake and not an 8.5 earthquake? Who cares? People are dying minutes after being rescued from laying under a collapsed house for THREE DAYS. And you are comparing this, along with their terrible poverty, to living on welfare here in the USA??

Old 01-16-2010, 07:26 AM

84 posts, read 291,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman27 View Post

Most of the people in this country and world should be ashamed at not being in tune at what's really going on there.

Have you looked at pictures of that country and the people living there? Do you realize there are security questions there now? People luieting. People shooting. Riots. People going out of control. Diseases, Diarreah, Malaria, hepitiotis that can possibly spread to the U.S now and then get you & kids, family, pets infected.

They dont eat as it was. Its a very poor country. And what's sad is that they dont have anything to offer back to countries that help them. Its not like they have an oil field or crops, or car manufactuers.
30 million Americans on welfare. So many homeless. It was a 7.0 earthquake, not a 9.0. No tsunami. Wake up to the reality of things..
let me inject a little reality into you. it is call humanity. helping people that are suffering. its not done to be paid back. humanity. look it up in the dictionary. you have no clue what is going on. stick to snowstorms ur track record was better.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstvs View Post
let me inject a little reality into you. it is call humanity. helping people that are suffering. its not done to be paid back. humanity. look it up in the dictionary. you have no clue what is going on. stick to snowstorms ur track record was better.
? ? I'm suffering. Should I just go out and collect welfare and rely on government to keep my afloat? Or do I do something with myself and make it happen?

Old 01-16-2010, 08:42 AM

Haiti don’t care about their own people anyway. And once we feed them and then stop feeding them… they’ll say we abondonned them.

Haiti is looking for help and boy is our govenrment willing to help them. My concern is this.. we will send tons of money over there to help a country that is poor by nature anyways. Yet our fellow Americans still jobless and starting to lose their unemployment benefits sit looking down a road of poverty themselves. Our concern should be about them, not a country that really has nevered offered the U.S. anything..

The bigger question is- if we "the U.S" had the same kind of destruction as Haiti has encountered- would they be so quick to help us?? more than likely not.. They need to handle this themselves- just as we would ours-- ourself.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:54 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,797,363 times
Reality is those people need help. We as americans help everyone. All the people here losing their homes and jobs. Should we not help them. If Iran bomb Israel will you guys jump off your sofa in outcry. The US should ... to Iran, because... Some americans would like to pick and choose to whom their help should go. And, that's fine. Until you find yourself in trouble and wanting some help from your neighbor! Their world has been reduced to rubble. So, where is the info coming from. Their blackberry, internet coffee house, oh I know the newspaper. RIGHT!!! The Haitians didn't deserve this. No one does.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:55 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
Quote:

One U.S reporter asked a local there "do you feel like nobody is helping because there's so many to help or because they don't care" The local responsed "no, because nobody cares about us, nobody cares"

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? All these donations, all this money going in from other countries including ours and they still think we're not helping. Runways are jammed because shipments are coming into them.

Are we supposed to put our military on their streets now to help control the country like Iraq??

No. Don't rape a country for your international game and walk away.

You want to play with illegal aliens? You walk your behind in there and act like you got some sense. You sure as hell didn't do it with with the Jews. You din't do it with Rwanda. YOU DID NOT look behind with Darfur.

Get off your duff and do something with Haiti. Stop paying governments to keep the "bad guys" out and put the cash where it counts.

You act like Haiti just wound up on the map. If there is a tantrum needed............stop sending Jordan, which coincidently, is sending people over the border to fight with our guys, money...................and send it where its needed. Like Haiti.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:38 AM

25 posts, read 50,767 times
Quote:
Haiti don’t care about their own people anyway.
Who exactly do you mean when you say "Haiti"?

Quote:
And once we feed them and then stop feeding them… they’ll say we abondonned them.
How do you know this?

Quote:

Haiti is looking for help and boy is our govenrment willing to help them. My concern is this.. we will send tons of money over there to help a country that is poor by nature anyways.
Does being born into a vicious cycle of poverty mean you should be denied help and compassion?

Quote:
Yet our fellow Americans still jobless and starting to lose their unemployment benefits sit looking down a road of poverty themselves.
Are you comparing the poverty in Haiti to the poverty in the U.S.A?

Quote:
Our concern should be about them, not a country that really has nevered offered the U.S. anything..
Should we only help people and or nations that we know can help us in return?

Quote:
The bigger question is- if we "the U.S" had the same kind of destruction as Haiti has encountered- would they be so quick to help us?? more than likely not..
Again, do we only help people who we know we can gain somthing back in return from in the future? Is that how you live your personal life?

Quote:
They need to handle this themselves- just as we would ours-- ourself.
Should our government not accept money loaned from the Chinese government anymore?

Old 01-16-2010, 10:57 AM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,011 times
I say forget about them. You try to help those kind of people and they inevitably just end up bitting the hand that feeds them. I saw this after Katrina. Went down with a contractor and was constantly having supplies stolen of my truck. When half my tools went missing in a bin that was pried open, I left and never looked back on those poo-on-my-shoe people.

Just got tired of the me-me-me mentality! "What is taking you so long!" "Well it is ABOUT time!" "God, you people are worthless! What am I even paying for?"

I'll tell you a little secret the radios didn't feed you. It took so long to recover from Katrina (some may say never) because many guys came, did their three weeks and said "F*** this @%$#" and left! Then Rita hit and they were complaining because the response, was in ways, SLOWER! It was slower because no one came. I know my contractor asked and I didn't go down. Sure I like making the extra buck but in all honesty, I'd rather be with my family then put up with such ungratefulness.

I always got a good laugh watching the news and seeing every celeb bash the rescue effort, or lack there of. Kind of like here. After Katrina, money and supplies weren't the problem, it was man power!!! Thanks for the literal "skid" of Gatorade on my truck (240 bottles just for little ole me?) but what I really needed was more people to put supplies into action. I could have really put some of those celeb muscles to use. I mean money was being spent just to be spent! Money and supplies WAS NOT the pinch point. Concerning Haiti, too many here feel all fuzzy inside because they texted their $10 in but how many here are flying down??? That's what I thought

Why not? You spew a good game talking about compassion etc. but when the sh*t gets real, rationality sets in that you may be the only white person in a war zone? I learned this with Katrina...if I have to fear for my own well being from people I'm helping...then why am I helping those people?

Or maybe I just grew up with the mindset of a country boy can survive. If a natural disaster ravage my area, expecting the government to fly in to help would be the LAST thing on my mind. It would be nice, but if it didn't, I'm sure I'd get by. Ignorance is not an excuse and too many people stupidly bet their life relying on government to "save them" when disaster hits.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:04 AM

68 posts, read 117,894 times
I suppose the US was fortunate that the initial immigrants were educated europeans and it was land full of natural resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates