Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 07:33 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times

Advertisements

With the ever increasing price of oil, I'm trying to think of things I can cut back. We already have reasonably decent fuel efficient vehicles and do our best to drive in an efficient way. We have reusable grocery bags so we don't have to use paper or plastic. We use Method laundry and dish detergent (no petroleum). Have pretty much stopped buying plastic bottled anything (soda, water, etc.). We use things like microfiber towels around the house for cleaning, instead of disposable paper towels. Want to increase the amount we compost (we're not very dedicated about this one, so a lot gets tossed in the trash).

Wondering, what other ways can we reduce our energy consumption in general, but more specifically, oil consumption...from all of these products people forget oil is in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 07:46 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
decrease the surplus population?

Old 02-21-2012, 02:10 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
The Daily Green has some interesting idea's.

Reduce Oil Consumption - Oil Independence - The Daily Green

Here's a list of things that contain petroleum, go over the list and make sure you never again purchase anything on it...

http://www.texasalliance.org/admin/a..._Petroleum.pdf

Old 02-21-2012, 10:19 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
well, it's impossible to avoid petroleum entirely. I'm just looking for things I haven't thought of yet to cut out or reduce. :-)

thanks for the links!

Old 02-22-2012, 12:56 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
The Daily Green has some interesting idea's.

Reduce Oil Consumption - Oil Independence - The Daily Green

Here's a list of things that contain petroleum, go over the list and make sure you never again purchase anything on it...

http://www.texasalliance.org/admin/a..._Petroleum.pdf
It's pretty funny how they try to add as many products as possible to the list. Instead of just saying "plastic" the break it down into dish drainers, credit cards, etc.

Fan blades? Even metal ones? And what are "Movie film Panties"?

Old 02-22-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
It's pretty funny how they try to add as many products as possible to the list. Instead of just saying "plastic" the break it down into dish drainers, credit cards, etc.
If you read the OP again you'll see some people want have it broken out.

I find it very informative to see the amount of products that have petroleum in them.

I am overjoyed to see that you know all the products that are associated with "plastic".

I wish I was as smart as you, I know I would never had associated darts with petroleum for one..

Last edited by plwhit; 02-22-2012 at 04:20 PM..

Old 02-22-2012, 08:56 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
With the ever increasing price of oil, I'm trying to think of things I can cut back. (snip)

We use things like microfiber towels around the house for cleaning, instead of disposable paper towels.
Those microfibers did not grow on a polyester bush or sheep where they were harvested by nubile maidens in bee-loud glades under deep blue skies in panoramic streamside mountain locations.

Polyester origins are a bit uglier than that idyll ....

Trees are a renewable, harvestable, sustainable source of fiber ....

Old 02-22-2012, 09:40 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
Interesting thought, I wonder if a car engine could run a quart low without having engine problems? How many quarts of oil could be saved in a year if every car had just one less quart?

Old 02-22-2012, 10:46 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Interesting thought, I wonder if a car engine could run a quart low without having engine problems? How many quarts of oil could be saved in a year if every car had just one less quart?
Depends on so many design and operational factors in the engine and the duty cycle to which it is subjected.

In some cars, there probably wouldn't be much of a perceptible difference.

In others, higher engine oil temps might lead to a breakdown of the oil and/or premature engine wear/oil consumption. Or a whole range of engine lubrication or cooling issues.

Oil does more than just lubricate moving parts. It's a sealant, coolant, detergent for cleaning, and an anti-corrosion coating. I don't believe that the volume of oil spec'd for most engines was a trivial design consideration.

I do see the possibility of saving oil use by more folk observing extended oil change intervals where it is appropriate to do so without causing shorter engine life.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Why don't you try it for a couple of years and report back to us how the well the engine is still running?

Balance the cost of maybe 4 quarts of oil against the cost of a new engine.

You want the best performance and reliability from your engine stick with the OEM fluid levels.

You could probably get away with using less oil in the engine if you never drive over 20 - 25 MPH.

Last edited by plwhit; 02-23-2012 at 08:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living