Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 07:26 PM

1,153 posts, read 3,602,124 times

Advertisements

I've Just Recently Had To Dye My Hair To Cover My Incoming Grey Hairs! I Also Have To Highlight The Blonde Back In. Any Ideas As To A Good Organic Hair Dye. Any Suggestions Would Be Wonderful! Thanks, Dee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 02:40 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,026,719 times
There's always henna. That's a plant. But it does tend towards redder shades over true blonde.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:29 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,436,584 times
yes, henna is the only organic hair color. There are also other ones like Walnut etc. but they don't cover gray. I use henna on my hair, it is naturally dark brown and the henna give me very nice red highlights, where the grays are :-). But there is no such thing as a natural blond hair dye, yet.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:06 AM

27,339 posts, read 27,390,428 times
I thought there was a haircolour that contained a lot of citrus-y ingredients? You might try a health food store or a beauty supply place, but Im not sure.
One thing I can say, and any beautician will tell you the same, is stay away from Fe'ria. That stuff contains metal or aluminum or something that you cannot use another brand, ever. Ask a beautician, but I was told by an instructor at a beauty college AND by another stylist at another salon.
I simply use whatever is on sale, any brand but Fe'ria.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:38 PM

618 posts, read 1,610,356 times
Henna is a good idea, but keep in mind that if you use the henna hair dye, you have to wait a year (i think that's how long) if you want to dye your hair again with regular non-organic hair dye.

Old 10-28-2007, 01:09 PM

73 posts, read 458,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
I thought there was a haircolour that contained a lot of citrus-y ingredients? You might try a health food store or a beauty supply place, but Im not sure.
One thing I can say, and any beautician will tell you the same, is stay away from Fe'ria. That stuff contains metal or aluminum or something that you cannot use another brand, ever. Ask a beautician, but I was told by an instructor at a beauty college AND by another stylist at another salon.
I simply use whatever is on sale, any brand but Fe'ria.

Hmm. I've used Feria in the past, and switched from it to other products without issue? Now I don't dye my hair at all, but when I did, I bought whatever was on sale...I have extra long hair and need two boxes.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:29 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,432,625 times
Organic?
The only thing I can think of would be henna, which is complete plant extract/ powder.
Citrus will leave hair dried out (acid ph level) and yellow in color.
To really go the natural route, rinse your hair after every wash with strong brewed coffee.....your hair will turn darker.
As for highlights....huh.....how about henna?
In order to achieve blond highlights the color pigments need to be "stripped" out of the strands of hair.
There are no ways yet (safe anyway), to achieve that without chemicals.....UNLESS you resort to the citrus (which doesn't leave hair healthy, and creates more yellow/ orange hair)
Aveda salon is known for all plant derived products, and I use their products myself.
Best to check with your beauty salon...maybe there is something out there we haven't heard of .....yet.
You'll never know.....

Old 11-02-2007, 07:42 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,143,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeds View Post
I've Just Recently Had To Dye My Hair To Cover My Incoming Grey Hairs! I Also Have To Highlight The Blonde Back In. Any Ideas As To A Good Organic Hair Dye. Any Suggestions Would Be Wonderful! Thanks, Dee
I've been very happy with NaturColor since I discovered it.

Welcome to Naturcolor (http://www.naturcolor.com/naturcolor/ - broken link)

I didn't think it would cover gray hair, but it does and it doesn't dry and damage my hair. It's not very easy to find. Don't know what the matter is with this Italian company... It seems like they don't care very much about selling a wonderful product (as you can figure from their website as well), IMO. The first time I looked at this website there was only Italian contact info, I believe.

In my area Wild Oats (probably Whole Foods, too - they acquired Wild Oats recently; haven't paid attention if Wild Oats already changed name) and New Life Health Center carry it.

Whole Foods Market

New life Health Center

This hair dye combined with a good hair dryer (I didn't really believe it matters) - Sedu Ultrapower Professional Hair Dryer, Free Shipping - made my hair very healthy. Then I got it messed up trying to get another perm after so many years (hoping they've improved ), but that's another story... It'll get healthy again.

Wish you good hair days!

Old 03-19-2008, 10:52 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,245 times
Have been looking for the NaturColor brand, thanks sierraAZ, for website. We are getting a Whole Foods soon in Lubbock, hoping they will carry this product.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:42 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
I've been happy with Naturtint. I don't know much about the ingredients but it's more natural than what you'd buy in a drugstore or a salon. It says--Ammonia free, Resorcinol free. It contains oat, wheat, corn, soy, and coconut. Says it's made in Europe and I get it at most natural foods stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living