Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 02:34 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
The mainframes have traditionally been called "Big Iron".
Maybe for a certain segment of wannabes. I worked with mainframes, the 1160/1180 Univacs and the IBMs they were clones of. We never referred to them as "big iron". Try going past Wiki knowledge. From Minneapolis to Santa Clara, no one at Sperry used the term. Of course, step outside of the arena where people actually worked with them and yeah, they might have called them that.

Big Iron also means muscle car engines, the steel industry in the sooty town of PA, they guy with the .50 caliber casull and lots of other things.

My first thought was to the steel industry. I get it, you were trying to be cute. Always someone wanting to use terms of urban legend they picked up. Oh well.

Regardless, there isn't a lot of truth in your analogy anyway. What you seem not to understand (recurring theme) is that the large computer manufacturers, like IBM, Cray and Xerox and so, still control the mainframe computer industry. Their dabble into "computers" that you might use was nothing more than a fleeting endeavor which they found to be not in the interests of their core business and they just left it to others. The consumer computers weren't their core and never was.

Your analogy failed on every level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 03:01 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
Let me quote Wikipedia

Mainframe computers (colloquially referred to as "big iron"[1]) are computers used primarily by corporate and governmental organizations for critical applications, bulk data processing such as census, industry and consumer statistics, enterprise resource planning and transaction processing.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Let me quote Wikipedia

Mainframe computers (colloquially referred to as "big iron"[1]) are computers used primarily by corporate and governmental organizations for critical applications, bulk data processing such as census, industry and consumer statistics, enterprise resource planning and transaction processing.
Like I said...wiki knowledge.

Some never learn, others simply refuse.

Your problem is you seem to think the total sum knowledge is what you glean from searching the Internet. There is far more information not available on the Internet than it will ever host.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:04 PM

Here is another definition:

big iron

a Harley Davidson motorcycle. "Big" is in reference to their size and "iron" to their originality as a "tractor" type motorcycle. Term was used especially when lightweight Japanese motorcycles first appeared..

What does big iron mean? big iron Definition. Meaning of big iron. OnlineSlangDictionary.com

Since we're now quoting unreliable sources of pop culture but were discussing anything but that.

Broaden your horizons.

Regardless, your analogy failed. The big mainframe giants never went after the consumer computer market as their core businesses, it was always peripheral to what they were doing.

Where does almost all the roof top solar connect to?

(hint...it isn't off-grid battery storage)

Last edited by Mack Knife; 12-18-2014 at 04:31 PM..

Old 12-20-2014, 05:09 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Like I said...wiki knowledge.

Some never learn, others simply refuse.

Your problem is you seem to think the total sum knowledge is what you glean from searching the Internet. There is far more information not available on the Internet than it will ever host.
The first mainframe I worked on was an IBM 1620. The things you are so sure of but so out to lunch on would fill the hold of a supertanker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living