Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 04:15 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,546,753 times

Advertisements

I want to fix up my front porch and want an option that is long lasting, and not expensive but is also non toxic and natural. I have been thinking about choosing poured concrete with a color stain, but learned that you have to wait for a month after pouring the concrete before using many of them, I have also read mixed reviews on some of the stain products and feel it may not turn out that well.There is also a dye that you can put into the concrete mix before you pour it but I think it may be toxic. I also worry about how unhealthy some of the stains may be .

I was interested in finding some non toxic alternatives stains and dyes that preferably can be mixed in while the concrete is being poured. Any suggestions? I know concrete is porous and will easily stain. I was wondering if permanent hair dye might work? Or even shoe polish? I found a site that mentions some other ideas like a garden supply product called iron sulfate.

Does anyone have any experience staining new concrete? It must also have a non slip finish for safety as well. Thanks for any ideas and advice.

Homemade Concrete Stain Recipes - Iron Stains

Homemade Concrete Stain Recipes

Last edited by vanguardisle; 03-26-2016 at 04:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 04:56 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Starbucks coffee. Staining concrete is a higher and better use for the stuff.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Starbucks coffee. Staining concrete is a higher and better use for the stuff.

What a good idea. What flavor do you recommend? lol. Would any other type of coffee work too?

I just did a search and found this article about staining concrete using something called Ironite ( they say it is a mineral supplement for gardening) , starbucks expresso coffee grounds and vegetable oil,
http://thriftdee.com/2013/06/how-to-stain-concrete/

But it was on old concrete. Is there something you can use to mix into the concrete before it is poured or is it best to wait about a month before staining?

Last edited by vanguardisle; 03-27-2016 at 08:32 AM..

Old 03-27-2016, 03:50 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
What a good idea. What flavor do you recommend? lol. Would any other type of coffee work too?

I just did a search and found this article about staining concrete using something called Ironite ( they say it is a mineral supplement for gardening) , starbucks expresso coffee grounds and vegetable oil,
How to Stain Concrete « ThriftDee

But it was on old concrete. Is there something you can use to mix into the concrete before it is poured or is it best to wait about a month before staining?
In my experience, you have to wait for the concrete to cure b4 staining. Unless you decide to use one the mix in colors. If I was doing new concrete I would mix in glow in the dark sand and call it done!

Old 03-28-2016, 01:11 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Serious answer is check with the concrete supplier. they know more about coloring concrete then any of us.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
In my experience, you have to wait for the concrete to cure b4 staining. Unless you decide to use one the mix in colors. If I was doing new concrete I would mix in glow in the dark sand and call it done!

If I thought that would work I would try it.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Serious answer is check with the concrete supplier. they know more about coloring concrete then any of us.

Yes they do know a lot but the question is do they care about non toxic options? They may know what will stain it but maybe not what will stain it and be non toxic as well.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:29 PM

311 posts, read 450,501 times
I knew a guy who just mixed latex paint with the cement. It turned out fine. You could also use iron sulfate (rusty red), copper sulfate (blue/green), and elemental sulfur from the garden store. Tea and coffee stain fairly well. At home depot you can get the dry powder you mix with wet cement for lots of colors.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeZoo View Post
I knew a guy who just mixed latex paint with the cement. It turned out fine. You could also use iron sulfate (rusty red), copper sulfate (blue/green), and elemental sulfur from the garden store. Tea and coffee stain fairly well. At home depot you can get the dry powder you mix with wet cement for lots of colors.
Thank you I have read about iron sulfate but I did not know about copper sulfate or sulfur are they non toxic? Did your friend who mixed paint in with the cement do it before it was poured or did he paint it later on after it dried? I have seen some of the cement colors at Lowes the ones meant to be mixed in before the concrete is poured but besides not having the colors I wanted I worry it will be toxic. The copper sulfate might just be the prettiest option. I love bluegreen.

Has anyone ever worked with milk paint? I wonder if it can be used with concrete mix or stain? I have read it can be used to paint bricks.

Last edited by vanguardisle; 03-29-2016 at 12:43 PM..

Old 03-30-2016, 09:04 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
You might consider an epoxy coating rather than a stain. I use a Rustoleum product in my basement and garage. It also seals the concrete so you don't get dust.

EPOXYShield Garage Floor Coatings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living