Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 07:09 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times

Advertisements

Solar PV running so surplus in Chile . . . it is going free.

https://ecowatch.com/2016/06/03/chile-solar-energy/

Chile Has So Much Solar Energy It
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 05:32 AM

910 posts, read 1,083,038 times
If you read the article, it is going free because they can't get it to market. The government needs to build 1,700 miles of transmission lines to get the power from the desert, to the metropolitan areas. Once the lines are built, a huge amount of the electricity produces will be lost in the lines. In the US, the longest transmission lines are a couple hundred miles long. The average loss in the US is 3 to 6 percent. If you look at a 1,700 mile long line, you could lose half of the electricity produced just to get it to the market. At that point solar won't be free, it will be very expensive.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:45 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,995,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
If you read the article, it is going free because they can't get it to market. The government needs to build 1,700 miles of transmission lines to get the power from the desert, to the metropolitan areas. Once the lines are built, a huge amount of the electricity produces will be lost in the lines. In the US, the longest transmission lines are a couple hundred miles long. The average loss in the US is 3 to 6 percent. If you look at a 1,700 mile long line, you could lose half of the electricity produced just to get it to the market. At that point solar won't be free, it will be very expensive.
The DC Pacific Intertie in the US is about 1000 miles and it's losses are way less than you are quoting. I don't know what the losses are on the line, but 5-8% seem most likely. I don't think anyone would build a 1700 mile AC transmission line.

Old 06-08-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
The DC Pacific Intertie in the US is about 1000 miles and it's losses are way less than you are quoting. I don't know what the losses are on the line, but 5-8% seem most likely. I don't think anyone would build a 1700 mile AC transmission line.

The article states that the solar plant is in the middle of a desert in the North East of Chile. The major cities are in the middle of the country along the coast. If you look at Chile on a map, you can see the extremely long distance. I didn't make the 1,700 miles up, it is in the article. The longer the transmission line, the more resistance. I'm sure that an electrical engineer can figure out the exact losses. Most websites list 3 to 6% as the average loss in the US, on average transmission lines.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:03 AM

Quote:
The article states that the solar plant is in the middle of a desert in the North East of Chile. The major cities are in the middle of the country along the coast. If you look at Chile on a map, you can see the extremely long distance. I didn't make the 1,700 miles up, it is in the article. The longer the transmission line, the more resistance. I'm sure that an electrical engineer can figure out the exact losses. Most websites list 3 to 6% as the average loss in the US, on average transmission lines.
I am an electrical engineer. The losses for a 1700 mile HVDC line would be well less than 10%.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:03 AM

18,496 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
I am an electrical engineer. The losses for a 1700 mile HVDC line would be well less than 10%.
DC Forever!

Old 06-09-2016, 04:21 PM

soooo. Now that we have it made it just about through Sophomore Circuits. ( ).

Back to the Application. Clearly Chile can (is going towards) Fully Renewable, even at today (and a little bit of yesterday) PV Prices.

AND the Prices are still just going down.

AND they will be able to pipe that electrical Sunshine some Thousands Miles . . . across some otherwise pretty rough travel paths.

And back to the "Here and US" (for International Readers -- for folks in the USA, everything is Always All About US ).

Tell me why we cannot do this here? Other than getting Old Coal and Nukes off-line and out-of-the way?

Old 06-10-2016, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
soooo. Now that we have it made it just about through Sophomore Circuits. ( ).

Back to the Application. Clearly Chile can (is going towards) Fully Renewable, even at today (and a little bit of yesterday) PV Prices.

AND the Prices are still just going down.

AND they will be able to pipe that electrical Sunshine some Thousands Miles . . . across some otherwise pretty rough travel paths.

And back to the "Here and US" (for International Readers -- for folks in the USA, everything is Always All About US ).

Tell me why we cannot do this here? Other than getting Old Coal and Nukes off-line and out-of-the way?
I will tell you why, and it has nothing to do with coal or nukes.

TAXES. Lets for instance say that a huge solar plant opens in Nevada, and the entire desert floor is covered in PV panels. You expect Idaho, for instance, to shut down all of their electric generation plants, and then have all of their electricity supplied from NV. The state of ID would experience a huge drop in tax revenue as the ID based utilities go belly up. The only jobs will be maintenance of the utility lines. The company in NV will be making money hand over fist. THIS is the main reason the deserts of the U.S. will not be turned into giant solar batteries to power the country.

And to clarify one thing, I am NOT against solar power. I am against WIND power, as the amount of wind turbines needed to power the country would make most bird species go extinct within 10 to 20 years. Especially raptors, buzzards, and other bird species who spend most of their time in the air.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Don't you think that normal dispatch rules will over time crowd out coal fired plants? PV and wind will always dispatch due to their marginal production cost ($0). When we have enough, coal will just not get dispatched enough for them to pay the start-up cost of bringing the machine on line.

Old 06-11-2016, 10:50 PM

Quote:
I will tell you why, and it has nothing to do with coal or nukes.
mkay. Let's take this a slice at a time?

Quote:
TAXES.
Let me do Taxes by itself? That is a Very Detailed (but sort of fun) Analysis.

Quote:
Lets for instance say that a huge solar plant opens in Nevada, and the entire desert floor is covered in PV panels. You expect Idaho, for instance, to shut down all of their electric generation plants, and then have all of their electricity supplied from NV.
well . . . to start with I sort of have to reject your idea of the "entire desert floor" . . . I follow that is sort of the Chile model, but here (US) it has worked Very Well to place Solar at or near the point of use. I guess you understand why Chile did not do that? Cities by the coast, cloudy, etc. But let's work on your Nevada / Idaho interchange model?

btw, THAT is a Very Good tag-team in this model. Good Choice.

But before you go too much further, you also have to look at how the Customers / Consumers in those areas use power? Turns out our BIG uses of Electricity -- at least until Electric Transportation comes fully on-line -- is Space Heating and Cooling. Heating and Cooling (Cooling is the bigger load) all our buildings.

While we could severely reduce that condition by seriously insulating, shading, etc. our buildings, we do not seem inclined to do so -- so expect that electricity demand to continue for a while. As far as Cooling -- Nevada has a bigger problem with that than Idaho. Makes sense, huh? Desert, further South, and all. But Idaho has some desert -- at least that is what the locals call it, too -- around Boise.

Nevada has a BIG demand based on its Cooling (aka HVAC) in the mid-to-late day, in the middle of Summer. Makes sense, right? So much so, that right now power costs for Time-of-Use Electricity (retail) are over 40 cents per kWh in the Summer Afternoon -- compared to 6 cents or less "off peak."

(Look at these numbers)

https://www.nvenergy.com/home/paymen...ofusenorth.cfm

BUT Solar -- since it makes power in the middle of the day can completely Game Change that.

Now let's bring Idaho into this.

Quote:
The state of ID would experience a huge drop in tax revenue as the ID based utilities go belly up.
Let's save that Tax Analysis for a grouping below? It is huge, but in a whole different way than what you may be thinking.

Let's start with looking at power flow?

Idaho is Far North of Nevada (duh, huh?). But let's think what that means in terms of Summer Sun Daytime -- when the folks in Nevada are wanting all the Low(er) Cost power they can find.

It turns out that the SUMMER Desert around Boise, Idaho -- gets as much or MORE total daily sunshine than Las Vegas, Nevada.

Yeah, I know, hard to believe, but remember that being further North -- Idaho has a LONGER (Summer) Day.

I sort suspect Idaho MAY be sending Nevada power? At least during that Summer Daily Peak. Come Winter, Nevada may be sending Idaho power?

We find a lot of surprising things once we really set our preconceived beliefs aside and openly study these things.

(compare the numbers for 2-axis trackers, in June)

Nevada:
http://rredc.nrel.gov/solar/old_data...sum2/23169.txt

Idaho:
http://rredc.nrel.gov/solar/old_data...sum2/24131.txt

Once you span the Entire Day -- from Offshore Florida in the East to Offshore California in the West -- we may find ALL sorts of power flows and sharing that are not apparent at first glance.

Quote:
The only jobs will be maintenance of the utility lines.
You are partly correct -- it is true that Renewables (once up and running) do tend to be much less labor intensive than olde skool plants. But that is also partly because many olde skool plants are OLD. We severely automate the newer Central Plants as well. But operation (when they are up and operating) is only a SMALL part of the picture.

-----------

But first, a fun real story about labor and solar in particular. Did a Solar Thermal (mirrors) project out in California. Really nice "Pilot Project" Plant. About 5 acres. I had done a design for the mirrors to be self-cleaning (as well as self-scan for damage, etc.) -- BUT they stopped me on that part. You know why? The Union. The site was required to have at least two full-time maintenance guys -- by its generation size, etc -- so they planned on using them to wash the mirrors in the evening as the place went into overnight storage mode.

All good by me, because they would also do a daily trace walk down and find problems before they happened. (did you see what happened at Ivanhoe lately from mis-aligned mirrors? Set itself on fire)

--------------

But do not worry about not having enough work to do. To switch over to Renewable -- will be a MASSIVE labor project. Each and every solar PV panel still gets handled BY HAND to be put in place. Whether a residential roof-top or a whole IKEA store, or even large field arrays. All 100% by Hand.

And they ALL have some limited service life. (estimated 25 to 30 years, but we do not really know, yet) Along with the roofs they are mounted on. Again ALL hand work to remove, and replace them, along with 25 to 40 years of continued build out to 100% replace all the existing Coal and Nukes. Massive Work, ahead.

And then we STILL have Years and Years ahead of Coal and Nuke Plants and sites to CLEAN UP. Without any real plan yet of how do that. IF we could clean up *JUST ONE* Nuke a year (which we have not figured out) -- we would still be cleaning those up 100 years from now. MASSIVE work ahead on clean up, too.

Quote:
The company in NV will be making money hand over fist.
Really we are just hoping Coal and Nukes do not all go Bankrupt and leave the rest of US to clean up their mess. (mho) Likely will wind up having to Tax Renewable before this is done to Clean Up the old. Do not go counting the money and chickens, yet.

Quote:
THIS is the main reason the deserts of the U.S. will not be turned into giant solar batteries to power the country.
For now, the Main Reason, as you say, is because there is NO ONE to sell the power to. The Great Recession (2008) kicked the whole Generation Industry in the teeth. Never seen it coming, and had never had ANYTHING like it happen before -- at least in the Generation Industry.

We were used to planning year-on-year growth of at least 1 to 2%. At Least. That meant if you had . . . say 50 power plants in your network, you had to be building at least one more a year. Whole new plant. Every Year. Those are over $1B, each. Along with some old plants needed to be retired or have Major Major rebuilds, sometimes more. And these things take some year(S) to site, permit, plan, build and bring on line. So we all were planning out about 5 years or more, all in advance.

But when the Great Recession hit -- demand growth did not just stop -- it went NEGATIVE. Power Demand (although these numbers are kept kind of quiet in the US) Dropped about 5%. So then we had 5 years of New Power Plants in-the-works all just piling into that growing Surplus. Most everything stopped and that which did not / could not stop -- just lumbered into Bankruptcy. We still have brand-new Coal Plants laying in parts and pieces in Texas, never to be built.

Same across the country, and with de-industrialization, and energy efficiency and things like Variable Speed Drives and LED Lighting -- Electricity use is still weaker than expected. All the new stuff coming on-line now is Renewable, so even the Economic Recovery has not helped Central Generation a lot. Electric Transportation is sort of the only Long Term hope that Central Plant Generation still has.

Quote:
And to clarify one thing, I am NOT against solar power. I am against WIND power, as the amount of wind turbines needed to power the country would make most bird species go extinct within 10 to 20 years. Especially raptors, buzzards, and other bird species who spend most of their time in the air.
[/quote]

Understood. Not a Huge fan (no pun) of Big Wind, either. But what has happened is convergence of TAX (yeah here is where Taxes start) Policy in Massive Favor of Big Wind. During the days of the Recovery.gov programs -- 2009 to 2012, in general -- you could get a Treasury Grant (a GRANT = Cash Income) for 30% of your Construction Costs for Wind, Solar, and some other Renewable.

So just for spending some Million(s) on Capital Construction -- you were guaranteed to get 30% of it right back. And you only had to declare them "started" during 2012 -- and remember we plan about 5 years out . . . So projects started back then are now still building out Big Time through the end of this year (2016) - still with the 30% Cash Grant. On top of that Grant Money, Big Wind gets another bonus of a 2.2 cents per kWh for all it puts up to the Grid -- so they run those things even when there is no demand for the power.

Here in Texas (also as noted in Germany in another thread) they run Big Wind into the Negative Numbers -- where they actually have to pay to get someone to take the electricity. It is because of the 2.2 Cent Tax Credits.

But (mho) look for the Big Wind growth to taper fast and maybe end after this year, as the Treasury Grants expire.

Solar is now cheaper (PV has come WAY down), and even without Grants now beats most everything around. Plus it makes electricity when Real World People actually want it --- the middle of the day -- just like those folks in Nevada we were talking about above.

btw, speaking of birds -- you should see the buzzards cruise up on the Huge Thermals from a Coal Plant. Nowadays, by the time the ash and dust is removed, along the NOx, and SOx Scrubbers -- the air from a stack is not so bad (at least compared to raw Coal) -- there is only trace Hg and some radiation -- but mostly massive billows of very warm CO2. The really big birds will come from miles around to loft up on that. They only have to fly to the top of the stack and then they just spiral up for thousand(s?) of feet. Looks like whole WW2 Bomber formations taking off.

Well that was pretty long. You are still due the Tax Analysis. (Good eye on that, btw, but it is much deeper and twisty -- so I will hit that on a separate post?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living