Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 01:27 AM

5 posts, read 6,857 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

Last time I had to go for shopping I took my car, even if I felt bad about it for not taking the bus. But it is so comfortable for me to drive rather than changing 2 buses to get to my organic shop.

What about you? what is the most difficult sustainable act for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 05:15 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,548,232 times
The most difficult is kind of broad in a way. There are so many environmentally better options in cars, appliances,eco building products, and organic food, etc that honestly just cost too much money to purchase and sometimes it is just easier financially to take the cheaper way. I really wish the environmentally green products were not so darned expensive. It is sometimes just hard to afford them.

I know eventually their costs should come down but in the meantime they are just very elitist in price. I sometimes think that in many ways only the well to do can afford to be green. I just do the best I can.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:37 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Eliminating my consumption of plastic. It is in everything!

Old 11-07-2016, 03:50 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,588,284 times
In what world driving a bus to get a few pounds of stuff is sustainable? Most of the buses I've encountered had very few riders most of the trips, so driving a car hurts the Mother less. The entire concept of "sustainability" is a joke though, a sustainable civilization makes about the same amount of sense as salty sugar.

Old 11-07-2016, 04:44 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manuela guarneri View Post
Hi everybody,

Last time I had to go for shopping I took my car, even if I felt bad about it for not taking the bus. But it is so comfortable for me to drive rather than changing 2 buses to get to my organic shop.

What about you? what is the most difficult sustainable act for you?
The amount of CO2 you use in a car vs a bus compared to the amount of shipping goods to shops is negligible. If you really want to make an impact, policy change is necessary.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:29 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,588,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
The amount of CO2 you use in a car vs a bus compared to the amount of shipping goods to shops is negligible. If you really want to make an impact, policy change is necessary.
Not quite, businesses ship stuff in bulk by truck/train/ship loads which means very low to negligible emissions per consumer item. Driving a bus/car to pick a few retail items is the real killer energy/pollution wise.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:09 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,667,143 times
Oh I got a good one: I love tropical fruit, but I live only a few hours drive from the Canadian border.

Earlier today I had a couple kiwi to put in my cart and I looked at the stickers and they read "New Zealand" and I was like, "Noooooooooooo!!!".

I put them back and grabbed a package of Halos instead. I actually drove right by the Halos processing plant in California this past summer... at least they're domestic...

Old 11-07-2016, 11:19 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,868,785 times
eating vegetarian. I hate it. I feel full only with plenty of animal protein and some greens- a steak and some sautéed spinach on the side is my goto meal.
i just need that lean animal protein (my family runs diabetic, I found out, so maybe my aversion to carbs has a genetic basis?)...

Old 11-07-2016, 11:52 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
Mine is also driving my gasoline powered car. I love to cruise. I need to go electric.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:43 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Not quite, businesses ship stuff in bulk by truck/train/ship loads which means very low to negligible emissions per consumer item. Driving a bus/car to pick a few retail items is the real killer energy/pollution wise.
Not true. Commuting is going to have a much larger impact than shopping when it comes to individual emissions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living