Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 01:25 AM

12 posts, read 10,294 times

Advertisements

The moment you utter the word ‘sustainability’, the world pounces at you, to point out every little thing that is unsustainable about your lifestyle instead of appreciating the effort, no matter how big or small. It is imperative to understand that every little effort counts. The journey towards a sustainable lifestyle is about doing your little bit and does not force you to have an all-in or all-out attitude.

When talking about sustainability, food isn’t the first thing that comes to our mind, but it should. It’s a shame that we are destroying our own planet to produce foods that are killing us. By allowing this, we are empowering companies to profit from endangering our health and that of the planet.

As consumers, we hold a lot of power and the potential to bring about any change we want to see. We tend to forget, the chain always starts at the consumer level and what we purchase and eat is a direct reflection and contributor to how the system works. If one day we all woke up and demanded food that’s not packed with unhealthy ingredients and sustainably produced, the industry will also have to shift to cater to the demand. It is after all, a matter of supply and demand.

Read Complete Article Here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 03:57 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Somehow I knew their idea of foods killing us was meat and dairy, when its actually corn and refined carbs that are killing us, and the proof is what happens when you feed domesticated animals like cats, dogs, horses, livestock, etc. a high carb corn based diet.

https://www.verywellfit.com/saturate...-carbs-2241606

Fortunately within 20 years most meat in supermarkets will be lab grown.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:06 AM

7,259 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Please tell us specifically what parts of modern agriculture are not sustainable?

Old 08-05-2018, 12:53 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Please tell us specifically what parts of modern agriculture are not sustainable?
The use of Petro-Chem fertilizers is NOT a sustainable practice.

The use of synthetic herbicides is NOt a sustainable practice.

Gene-splicing from animals and bacteria into plants, in the hope that one day we may be able to outperform organic crop yields, is NOT sustainable practice.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:52 PM

7,259 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
The use of Petro-Chem fertilizers is NOT a sustainable practice.

The use of synthetic herbicides is NOt a sustainable practice.

Gene-splicing from animals and bacteria into plants, in the hope that one day we may be able to outperform organic crop yields, is NOT sustainable practice.

I didn't ask for your fantasies.

Petro-chem fertilizers? Nitrogenous fertilizers are made by the Haber-Bosch process from Nitrogen in the air. The cheap energy is provided by fossil fuel, supplies of which will last 500 yrs+. More expensive nuclear energy can be used after that.

Mineral supplements are not made out of petroleum either.

Why aren't herbicides & pesticides sustainable? As long as we can make them, we can keep on making them. The only problem here is the natural evolutionary response of the targets: tolerance. We need to keep on finding new pesticides to keep ahead of the game. That's the way MotherNature does things. We're following suit.

Why isn't GMO sustainable? I suppose you object to the use of human insulin in treating diabetes too? That's made by the same gene splicing process used in making GMO crop seeds. We don't invent new genes. We use naturally occurring genes and put them into new species. It's an extrapolation of good old fashioned selective breeding. It won't be long before we use this technology to cure some human diseases.

I'll tell you one thing that may prove un-sustainable on the local level-- continued irrigation in CA's central valley which produces such a large part of our fruits & veggies. It's a naturally arid region, but it has remarkably favorable sunlight & temperatures. They need to exploit water sources from outside the region and that's leading to progressive salinization/alkalinization of the soil. No one is sure how long fertility can be maintained there or if new technology can be forthcoming to reverse the process.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:39 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,322 times
We aren't killing the planet, it will be just fine without us as it's been before. We are killing ourselves.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
I didn't ask for your fantasies.
I did not think I was mentioning any of your fantasies.

Quote:
... Petro-chem fertilizers?
While in college working on my Horticulture degree [UC-Fresno] 'Petro-Chem fertilizer' was the proper phrase.

It has been a few years since I graduated, has the proper terminology shifted?

Old 08-06-2018, 12:14 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I did not think I was mentioning any of your fantasies.

While in college working on my Horticulture degree [UC-Fresno] 'Petro-Chem fertilizer' was the proper phrase.

It has been a few years since I graduated, has the proper terminology shifted?

'Petrochemical fertilizer' is still correct terminology. https://homeguides.sfgate.com/pro-co...ers-86254.html

Old 08-06-2018, 01:46 PM

I was listening to Public Radio today a panel discussion they had was using the phrase 'Fossil-Fuel' Fertilizers.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
'Petrochemical fertilizer' is still correct terminology. https://homeguides.sfgate.com/pro-co...ers-86254.html.
Quote:
... Petrochemical fertilizers are another name for the synthetic products because they are produced using large quantities of petroleum and other fossil fuels. Some common examples include ammonium nitrate, super phosphate and potassium sulfate.
Edited to add the Bold font.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living