Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 04:01 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,988,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
This is true. It is also true that it could prevent tens of millions of people, if not hundreds of millions, from rising out of poverty. Unless you think that widespread, cheap energy in Africa wouldn't be a boon to the continent.
Actual solar deployed as village power is making major contribution to improving third world quality of life. Fossil fuels have done squat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 05:14 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,767,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Actual solar deployed as village power is making major contribution to improving third world quality of life. Fossil fuels have done squat.
I mean... I don't even know if you are serious? Solar power penetration in Africa is a joke. It's a sun rich continent for sure, but I can assure you "dirtier" energy has been cheaper there for decades... so for people living in extreme poverty, fossil fuel power is absolutely preferred. Perhaps you can webcast to a village in sub-saharan Africa from your Tesla and tell them why they should be paying more for energy.

"Fossil fuels haven't done squat for third world countries." Comical. Really.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:32 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,138,312 times
Awful lot of tin-foil hat wearers here in the Green Living forum.

Old 04-05-2019, 04:40 AM

Quote:
I mean... I don't even know if you are serious? Solar power penetration in Africa is a joke. It's a sun rich continent for sure, but I can assure you "dirtier" energy has been cheaper there for decades... so for people living in extreme poverty, fossil fuel power is absolutely preferred. Perhaps you can webcast to a village in sub-saharan Africa from your Tesla and tell them why they should be paying more for energy.

Thanks for your assurance. I feel much better.

Africa Goes off the Grid to Bring Power to Rural Villages | TakePart

Old 04-05-2019, 05:51 AM

7,247 posts, read 5,119,840 times
Quote:

Excellent answer.

Solar power now gives Africans living in the bush in grass huts the ability to stay up late and read TheWallStreetJournal, but we don't see any GM Assembly Plants close enough to provide work for them, so they still have to cook their food in dung-powered ovens.

For anyone actually interested in expanding their horizons, there are numerous papers/studies proving alternative energy costs hurt the economy and are disproportionally borne by poor people:
https://www.pacificresearch.org/wp-c...ergy_F_Web.pdf
https://www.usnews.com/news/national...the-rural-poor
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...on-for-poverty

Old 04-05-2019, 06:40 AM

https://www.aidforafrica.org/member-...international/

Reality intrudes once again.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:34 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post

Awful lot of tin-foil hat wearers here in the Green Living forum.
Ummm, not usually. I've never seen half of these folks here before. It's just that in a case like this when a certain type of tinfoil wearer posts a certain type of tinfoil topic about the evil, controlling "eco authorities" it inevitably attracts the attention of other tinfoil wearers who usually ignore the Green Living forum to come dashing out of the woodwork elsewhere in the forum so they can all make friends and encourage each other. It's like bush telegraph calling to the faithful only in this case the tinfoil acts like antennas attached to their heads that send signals to them to flock to Green Living so they can have a pity party together.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:46 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
No silly, she is commenting on Cow farts. Bison do not make cow farts. Bison farts are not destroying the planet, cow farts are.

well, and frogs. Frog farts are a big contributor to the destruction of the planet, especially wetland areas.

I agree, frog farts are terrible ...... but take heart because ...... Frogs? What frogs?

Seriously, who here has seen many (if any) frogs around wherever y'all live in recent years? Frogs are going the way of the bison. Disappearing world wide. Give it another 15 years and there won't be any frogs left anywhere in the wild, only rescued frogs kept in labs in breeding tanks.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:12 PM

When the ignorant are leading the naive, it's easy to make fun of responsible environmental policy.

Old 04-05-2019, 01:31 PM

69 posts, read 50,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I agree, frog farts are terrible ...... but take heart because ...... Frogs? What frogs?

Seriously, who here has seen many (if any) frogs around wherever y'all live in recent years? Frogs are going the way of the bison. Disappearing world wide. Give it another 15 years and there won't be any frogs left anywhere in the wild, only rescued frogs kept in labs in breeding tanks.
If you haven't been seeing or hearing frogs in recent years it can only be because you're not in the right place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living