Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 07:01 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times

Advertisements

I would love to find out what others are doing to "cut back" and be more responsible w/ stretching dollars . . . while recycling and re-purposing.

For ex., years ago my friends and I would have a "kids clothes exchange" every month or so. Things one child had outgrown - others could use. Is anyone doing this in the neighborhood where you live?

And re-purposing. Take your own clothing, and cut off pants to make capris, or take off a collar to create a new look w/ a jacket . . .

I know people have yard sales, but what about finding something at a yard sale and re-purposing it. For example, finding an old step stool, painting it and using it as a plant stand.

I would like to hear what others are doing to cut their own consumerism and at the same time, save resources by finding better ways to use discarded or unwanted things in our homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 08:54 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,934,997 times
great post.
I'm a big freecycle & craigslist user. My DH built a green house for me out of old windows that were being thrown out, a used sliding glass door & used front door & the floor is made of free rocks we got on craigslist
here's a picture of it before it was finished.

We give stuff away instead on throwing it out too.
We are pretty thrifty.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:36 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
I drive a $35 car that gets 50mpg and runs on waste vegetable oil.
buy tires at the junk yard for $5 each

Still live on $10 spending money every week, just as I have since the early 70's (my kids were not impressed growing up, but they survived )

"50 mpg since 1976, where have you been?" (my bumper sticker)

Old 04-27-2008, 09:39 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,470,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I would love to find out what others are doing to "cut back" and be more responsible w/ stretching dollars . . . while recycling and re-purposing.

For ex., years ago my friends and I would have a "kids clothes exchange" every month or so. Things one child had outgrown - others could use. Is anyone doing this in the neighborhood where you live?

And re-purposing. Take your own clothing, and cut off pants to make capris, or take off a collar to create a new look w/ a jacket . . .

I know people have yard sales, but what about finding something at a yard sale and re-purposing it. For example, finding an old step stool, painting it and using it as a plant stand.

I would like to hear what others are doing to cut their own consumerism and at the same time, save resources by finding better ways to use discarded or unwanted things in our homes.
Buying second hand is better than buying eco-friendly NEW products for sure...

I buy second hand clothes for myself and my kids at St. Vincent De Paul. I sell or give away my kids clothes to my friends, and I buy really nice second hand (or antique) furniture from local people. I've used my kids baby socks, stuff them with scented flowers w/ essential oil, and put them in my kids/my clothing drawers...

trying to think of something else but I'm drawing a blank...

Old 04-27-2008, 10:50 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,633,377 times
Me and my wife do not buy second hand clothes, always new. We are both very hard to fit even when looking in a nicely organized store with everything in order. Often we have to go to several stores to find the right fit.

We do however wear most of our clothes until they are completely worn out. We still turn them in to donation centers because someone with no clothes will gladly take a worn garment over nothing.

As far as cutting consumerism, we just don't buy hardly anything that is not a necessity and we try to purchase minimally packaged items. We try to throw away as little as possible and give away anything we can.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:24 AM

Keep these suggestions coming! I give away things to friends and family first; then, I will give to Goodwill or the Salvation Army.

I also ask around if I need something, in hopes a friend or relative will have what I need and be willing to give it away or sell it for a good price. You just never know til you ask. I have not purchased off craig'slist yet but I have been looking for a piece of furniture I need, and think it will eventually show up! I like estate sales and yard sales, as well.

KELLYFG - I am sooooo impressed w/ the greenhouse! I would LOVE to have a greenhouse. What a wonderful way to use the discarded windows! Your DH is quite the handyman to put this together. I am going to save the picture of your lovely little greenhouse in hopes some day I might find the materials to make one for my house.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Probably there is a website that ranks goods by the size of their ecological footprint to create. Those of us who "re-use" should probably focus on keeping those things alive, if we have any use for them.... This winter I've been getting a lot of use from my down coat that is 35 yrs old. I look like I've come from the hen house when I take it off, as it leaks a bit of down...

Old 04-27-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
Probably there is a website that ranks goods by the size of their ecological footprint to create. Those of us who "re-use" should probably focus on keeping those things alive, if we have any use for them.... This winter I've been getting a lot of use from my down coat that is 35 yrs old. I look like I've come from the hen house when I take it off, as it leaks a bit of down...
Hee Hee! I can just see you w/ the feathers flying, LOL! Hey - if it keeps you warm . . . maybe you need to re-stitch some seams or put on a patch???

Or maybe it is more fun to just let the coat do its thing . . . 35 years . . . that is a lot of living!

Old 04-27-2008, 11:59 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Default Repair and Reuse is my Motto.

Only bought one new car and it wasn't planned... it just worked out for me in terms of value and convenience...

If they stopped making cars today, I think we would still have enough of them to last my lifetime at least... Over the years, I've picked up quite a few cars for free or for very little money... I still don't understand why someone will toss out a perfectly good car when $35 in parts is all it would take to fix it.

I got my Plymouth Valiant this way... it quit running and it was offered to me if I would come and get it... I bought a new $35 timing chain and two hours later I was on the road and have been driving the car for over 20 years...

Good tires are available for next to nothing at the wreckers... I get a good deal and it keeps the tire out of the landfill...

Rental Properties... I used to manage a number of Rentals and I can never understand how some people can generate so much trash consistently to the point where the can is filled to overflow weekly... and all those made in China Christmas gifts end up in the waste stream before the year is out... I've often seen perfectly good bicycles put out for the city's once a year bulky trash pick-up with nothing wrong other than a flat tire... and the people tossing are often low income and receiving aid.

The Daughter of a Tenant was expecting a baby and I let her know that someone from work had complete furniture for a nursery that she could have for free and it was all nice stuff... My Tenant told me that her Grand baby wasn't going to have someone else's hand me downs... like a baby would even know. I carried all of the new baby stuff she bought to the curb 18 months later...

I think part of the problem is that almost nobody fixes anything anymore... even cars are fast becoming a disposable commodity... I don't know whether it is by design of preference but America must be a very rich country judging by what we throw away...

My Grandfather always told me... "Buy a quality item and it will last a lifetime" and quality doesn't have to equate expensive.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 04-28-2008 at 12:19 AM..

Old 04-28-2008, 01:11 AM

1,440 posts, read 4,418,683 times
Odd pieces of wood, leftover lumber from projects. Maybe I'll use a piece to repair a smaller area or make a decorative something or other for the yard. Took down a section of wood fence last year, bottom's all rotted out. Cut the bad pieces off and made the wife some posts for bird feeders.

Any old metal stuff gets picked up free by a local fellow that sells it to the recycler. That's how he makes his money and I don't have to throw it away or pay to have it hauled.

Plastic or paper bags get saved and the wife uses them when she holds a yard sale or heads to the flea market.

I'd say 90% of my clothes come from the local thrift shop. I've got all manner of items incuding my suits, ties and dress wear. Some brand new in the plastic. Can't remember the last time I bought something new besides underwear and socks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living