Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 09:09 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times

Advertisements

Get a cat. The rodents will move out when they smell CAT even at a level you cannot. Keep the bird feed in a metal can. Use mouse and rat traps in the garage. Keep the bird feeder and perches above cat level. Provide a secure elevated water source for the birds. Water is the limiting environmental factor for birds in most places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 10:20 PM

822 posts, read 2,399,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Get a cat. The rodents will move out when they smell CAT even at a level you cannot. Keep the bird feed in a metal can. Use mouse and rat traps in the garage. Keep the bird feeder and perches above cat level. Provide a secure elevated water source for the birds. Water is the limiting environmental factor for birds in most places.
Agreed

Old 06-04-2008, 10:16 AM

603 posts, read 2,359,152 times
Thank you for the tips! Would a dog have the same effect or does it have to be a cat. I know dogs can't catch the critters but will they get scared away if they see/smell/hear a dog? I like other people's cats, but I don't like the idea of owning one. Cats make me nervous with their meowing, scratching, hiding, and slinking around I'm sorry if I offended any cat owners. We used to have a Basset Hound until he died 2 years ago and that's when the rodent problems started up (around the same time I began the bird feeders).

Please tell me another dog will solve the problem-I'm trying to get my husband to agree on another one

Old 06-04-2008, 10:18 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Maybe the smell of any carnivore will do. I just happen to be partial to cats.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:03 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,362,673 times
You can borrow my Jack Russell Terrier. He'll chase rabbits, mice and probably chipmunks if given half the chance! The scent of a dog might work. You could put some dog hair in pantyhose and hang it in the general vicinity. I know that works to stop weasles from chewing the wires in the car!

Old 06-09-2008, 12:15 PM

100 posts, read 352,231 times
Default Moles

We got a Mole Stop which is a green plastic thing that you put in the ground and it vibrates every so often. It is supposed to simulate a mole in distress that warns the other moles away from danger. It has worked pretty well. We used to have lots of moles and now we don't. You can get it at Home Depot. The batteries are supposed to last for about 2 years.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:09 AM

1 posts, read 3,537 times
if you feed wildbirds you will attract Owls that only hunt at night-Owls will eat moles/voles/mice. Crows and blue jays will protect your birdfeeders from hawks. I would like to suggest please keep your cats in the house for the health and safety of wildlife and humans as well as your cats, owls were created to control rodent population, cats could get diseases and die from rodents,besides they wont eat the rodents.fyi crows do not kill birds,on a rare occasion during nesting season a crow might grab a baby bird,it is well worth it to have crows and bluejays in your yard if you are a birder. please do not get a cat and allow it to roam,it kills birds for sport ( doesin't eat the law protected song birds) plus you take the chance of having issues with neigbors once you allow your cat to roam freely. Your birdfeeder wont be very active when the birds know a cat is around. change location of your birdfeeders far away from the house, mix gravel up in your planting beds,they cant tunnel through small gravel rocks this deters them as well. Moth balls work extremly well too.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:57 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,957,318 times
My neighbor solved his problems with a .22. Even though we are in the city limits he uses a low power load that barely emits more than a small pop. He is always aware of the background he is shooting into.

He cleaned up his yard fairly quickly.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:13 AM

511 posts, read 2,199,641 times
Buy a small HavaHeart live trap. Bait it with the chippies fav. food. I suggest something sticky placed right on the trigger- rice crispy treats worked well when we had a pack rat years ago. The 5 gallon bucket trap works wonders also. I used it for voles. I burried a 5 gal bucket and filled the bottom of it with seeds crackers & bread. It had a lid with a small opening hole in the center of the lid (this way if they try to jump up the sides, they shouldn't be able to get out). I put a log over the top of the bucket set, sprinkled more food around the out side, and within days started catching the little rodents. They could then be easily dispatched or released. Be sure to check any traps often though, you wouldn't want any critter to sit in a trap too long and get stressed out or dehydrated

Old 05-01-2010, 06:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,958 times
If you have a mole problem i have heard that putting tobasco sauce in there runs will drive them out???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living