Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 10:57 AM

14 posts, read 39,293 times

Advertisements

I think if people were able to affordably install solar panels on their homes and business installed them on buildings this would be a great way to produce our own energy. My husband came up with this one.

Years ago we lived in Washington state and the state had a program that helped homeowners install energy effecient windows and insulation in their homes. We were able to do it for $2 about 7 years ago.

If states could help homeowners afford to install solar panels I think it would be a welcome alternative to paying the electric company and from what I've heard you can actually sell your extra energy that your panels produce back to the energy company.

Any thoughts or opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 12:34 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
Smartest use of our tax dollars In my opinion. I read somewhere that if 10% of the Nevada desert were covered with solar panels it could power our entire country. I have no idea how true this is, after all it is an election year and the B.S. spin doctors are in overdrive !

Old 07-22-2008, 02:43 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,233,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Smartest use of our tax dollars In my opinion. I read somewhere that if 10% of the Nevada desert were covered with solar panels it could power our entire country. I have no idea how true this is, after all it is an election year and the B.S. spin doctors are in overdrive !
It's true, but that would be akin to putting all your eggs in one basket. What if Nevada has a freak monsoon or even a few consecutive cloudy winter days? Then we'd have to go back to other alternatives - natural gas, nuke, wind, etc.

I'm all for solar, but it's presently too expensive. That could change in the near future though. What would be an excellent idea is this:

Use wind as a primary renewable energy source, and use solar and hydro as a backup if wind doesn't blow. Whenever the wind does not blow, the dictating weather pattern tends to be a high pressure system for that area... and high pressure systems mean sunny skies - available solar power there.

Another option is to use hydro for whenever wind produces too much energy, beyond demand. Use the excess energy from wind to pump water upstream, and when the wind stops blowing, release the water downstream to spin the hydro turbines and produce/distribute electricity from there.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:17 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
It's true, but that would be akin to putting all your eggs in one basket. What if Nevada has a freak monsoon or even a few consecutive cloudy winter days? Then we'd have to go back to other alternatives - natural gas, nuke, wind, etc.

I'm all for solar, but it's presently too expensive. That could change in the near future though. What would be an excellent idea is this:

Use wind as a primary renewable energy source, and use solar and hydro as a backup if wind doesn't blow. Whenever the wind does not blow, the dictating weather pattern tends to be a high pressure system for that area... and high pressure systems mean sunny skies - available solar power there.

Another option is to use hydro for whenever wind produces too much energy, beyond demand. Use the excess energy from wind to pump water upstream, and when the wind stops blowing, release the water downstream to spin the hydro turbines and produce/distribute electricity from there.
What a battery!

Old 07-22-2008, 06:22 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:

Mmm. Bear Mtn. Reservoir in New York. I doubt environmentalists would allow a new one. A similar idea is compressing air in caves. The efficiency is horrendous. Way back, when the electricity was generated by the trolley companies, the power was shut off at night.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:24 PM

517 posts, read 2,485,253 times
I think solar would be more reliable than wind. Even on overcast days you are getting some sunlight. Many states do offer tax rebates for solar panels. In addition, there are varieties of panels and they range in price and efficiency.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:37 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
You people are kidding.....right? I did not think people actually had this little knowledge about energy, especially to come out and talk like they do.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:02 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Quote:

Hahaha... you stoled the idea from the story on T Boone Pickens... they talked about that when wind gusts were down and to use hydroelectric power as the secondary energy source... Thats great first the giant propellers will kill the birds than the dam that you built kills the fishes... isn't Pickens the best environmentalist? Hahaha... he is after money like every other person... especially Al Gore...

Old 07-22-2008, 09:06 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,223 times
California has done tax credits at various times in the past. The current tax credit has allocated a few billion dollars for tax credits, generally several thousand dollars per installation to homeowners. Of course putting up solar panels is about $15-30k.
I think even with all the state and federal credits, it still will be over $10k per install.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:09 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Environmentalist rather wipe out whole forest to plant ethanol crops (as in Brazil) and cover every flat space with a solar panel or windmill. Nature has zoos, why does it need more?

Oh yes, then tax the hell out of everyone for it, and to line their pockets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living