Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 08:41 AM

1,843 posts, read 2,370,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
Another Global Warming Myth Exposed....

http://www.climatechangefraud.com/co...view/3623/218/ (http://www.climatechangefraud.com/content/view/3623/218/ - broken link)

You can find the answer to this one without 200 lines of of creative nonsense. The polar ice and glacial ice is melting. It'll be gone soon. Every time the same ice has melted in the past, the sea levels have risen about 60 meters. So what is the argument something different is going to happen this time?

Claiming That Sea Level is Rising is a Total Fraud-wis-map3.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 12:13 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Nice of you to claim that basic math is "creative nonsense." Nice of you to claim that if 2,000,000,000,000 tons of ice melt this year that within the next 99 years 4,800,000,000,000,000 additional tons will melt. That is 2 compared to 4,800. That means 48 trillion tons would have to melt each and every year instead of 2 trillion tons. The possibility of that happening is just not there. I mean seriously. It AIN'T goinna happen. The sun doesn't have the power to melt ice that fast and still keep the Sahara hot or have summertime temperatures in the tropics remain warm.

If Gore had made a claim that in 2,000 years this might be possible, then he might have had some credibility. He didn't, it won't, end of story.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:30 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
hc - the water level in the glass rises when the ice cube is put into the glass. Your example had the ice already in the glass. That is the fundamental flaw in your argument. The water from the land bound glaciers melts and raises the sea level. As the globe gets warmer and the glaciers melt the sea level gets higher. Pretty simple.

Observation of global temperatures over the last 150,000 years illustrates that overall temperatures can change by several degrees of more per decade. I suspect we are in one of those situations.

I cannot think of anything, including reducing CO2 emissions, which will stop or reverse this trend. I suggest we start worrying about how we will socially and economically cope with losing coastline to or above the 10 ft level plus storm surge. If you want to live on the beach in southern Florida I suggest a houseboat.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
hc - the water level in the glass rises when the ice cube is put into the glass. Your example had the ice already in the glass. That is the fundamental flaw in your argument. The water from the land bound glaciers melts and raises the sea level. As the globe gets warmer and the glaciers melt the sea level gets higher. Pretty simple.

Observation of global temperatures over the last 150,000 years illustrates that overall temperatures can change by several degrees of more per decade. I suspect we are in one of those situations.

I cannot think of anything, including reducing CO2 emissions, which will stop or reverse this trend. I suggest we start worrying about how we will socially and economically cope with losing coastline to or above the 10 ft level plus storm surge. If you want to live on the beach in southern Florida I suggest a houseboat.

EXACTLY! But it only applies in cases like yours where you actually know what you are talking about.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:07 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchance2005 View Post
You can find the answer to this one without 200 lines of of creative nonsense. The polar ice and glacial ice is melting. It'll be gone soon. Every time the same ice has melted in the past, the sea levels have risen about 60 meters. So what is the argument something different is going to happen this time?

Attachment 38988
Would you care to back that up with some unbiased source literature?

Old 04-01-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Would you care to back that up with some unbiased source literature?

Is something wrong with the link I included? This too was once taught in schools, and remains hidden in libraries to this day. There's also a real nice picture of it, but apparently CD doesn't want me to upload it twice.

Oceans of Kansas Paleontology

Old 04-01-2009, 02:23 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchance2005 View Post
Is something wrong with the link I included? This too was once taught in schools, and remains hidden in libraries to this day. There's also a real nice picture of it, but apparently CD doesn't want me to upload it twice.

Oceans of Kansas Paleontology
Maybe you should link directly to the source since there is a lot of information about dinosaurs and other unrelated information... as in, directly linking to the source that suggests water levels were "60 meters" higher in the past as a result of melting ice... cause I am having problems finding it based on the webmasters' poor web layout... I see the map and information about that map but no explanation or reasoning and a lot of his links are dead... I should of included a requirement that said a "reputable" source as well...

Old 04-01-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Maybe you should link directly to the source since there is a lot of information about dinosaurs and other unrelated information... as in, directly linking to the source that suggests water levels were "60 meters" higher in the past as a result of melting ice... cause I am having problems finding it based on the webmasters' poor web layout... I see the map and information about that map but no explanation or reasoning and a lot of his links are dead... I should of included a requirement that said a "reputable" source as well...

You should write them a letter of complaint. Moderator cut: No personal attacks for flaming. . They do indicate the ocean depth at various places. I think that's based on the type of sea life fossils we find around here in Missouri, Kansas and Nebraska. The Kansas-Nebraska sea (as they called it when I was in grade school in the 1950's) has formed every time we've had a meltoff, with pretty much the same boundaries and depth. The several instances of this are quite clear in the geologic record. Somewhere on there is a link to a British University that detail the Icthyosaurs and other sea life that can be found there (Britain was submerged). If you google the name "Mary Anning". you can read some interesting stuff.

Last edited by vec101; 04-02-2009 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: See Terms of Service

Old 04-01-2009, 02:34 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
"hc - the water level in the glass rises when the ice cube is put into the glass. Your example had the ice already in the glass. That is the fundamental flaw in your argument. The water from the land bound glaciers melts and raises the sea level. As the globe gets warmer and the glaciers melt the sea level gets higher. Pretty simple."

Actually, that was a minor part of the argument. What I was referring to was pack ice, which forms the block to the northwest passage, floating shelves in Antarctic regions, and other polar areas.

Teachers' Domain: Ice Shelf and Ice Sheet Simulation

This fellow seems to have done something similar what I just did, but he did it earlier, in more detail, and has slightly different figures that he is working with. He also has some nice images. Enjoy.

"What if all the ice melts?" Myths and realities

Old 04-03-2009, 11:34 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Floating sea ice is already floating and has displaced sea water equal to the weight of the ice. Solid or melted it does not affect the sea level. Melting land bound ice increases sea level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living