Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 03:41 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times

Advertisements

The other day I bought some unscented fabric softener. I hadn't used fabric softeners in years because I thought they were all bad for the environment and our health, as well. But I was at the natural foods co-op and they had some earth-friendly unscented stuff, so I thought I'd check it out.

I'm really glad I did! Our clothes have been so soft and the static electricity is gone... it's been great. I'm actually using my old "Downy ball" that I've had for years and years - even though I'm not using Downy.

Anyway - today I'm trying something new... I just added a few drops of essential oil in with the fabric softener. I used 20 total drops, actually. I'm going to see if this will add a nice - natural - scent to the sheets I'm washing.

Has anyone else ever tried this? Does anyone else make DIY fabric softener? Any earth-friendly brands you'd like to recommend?

Over the years I have found various recipes for DIY fabric softener that usually call for baking soda and/or vinegar. I've tried most of them. Some of the did soften the clothes a bit, but none took away the static electricity. Works good for line-drying items though.

Let's talk fabric softener...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 03:52 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,814 times
In a pinch, I have used a small amount of hair conditioner in the laundry rinse cycle when I didn't have any real fabric softener and it worked just fine.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:41 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Personally, I'd be afraid to put any kind of oils in with my laundry, but that's just me.

Sometimes I can be a sucker for a gadget, so on those occasions when I don't hang my clothes outside to dry in the sun and wind, I thought I'd try dryer balls (I picked them up at the drug store). To my utter shock and amazement, they work!

I've been reading reviews that say these reusable dryer sheets help with removing static, but I haven't noticed a big problem with static.

Don't forget to order a tree whenever you buy online!

Old 08-27-2009, 07:56 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times
You can just put vinegar in the rinse cycle. The smell disappears quickly and it is supposed to help cut the detergent/soap too.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:02 PM

5,431 posts, read 29,174,116 times
I have found that going to all cotton, you don't have static cling..it is only with the synthetics....I am very scent sensitive, and just smelling other people's fabric softener can give me a headache!

Old 08-28-2009, 11:06 AM

I'm a "smell person", too. Better than being a "smelly person". I do not like things with synthetic fragrances. That's why I bought the unscented fabric softener. I do use organic essential oils for all kinds of different things, though... from cleaning to home remedies for headaches and colds to freshening up a room to pest control...

Vinegar does not take out the static cling, and I do wear all natural fibers (cotton, hemp, flax...) because I'm allergic to synthetics. I do wear denim (some with stretch) but we wash our jeans separately and line dry them.

I was afraid to experiment with oils, too, so that's why I tried it with old bedsheets first. They are old and if they messed up it wouldn't be such a loss. It actually worked! They smell lovely, infused with the organic essential oils I used, and they are still soft and there's no static cling thanks to the unscented earth-friendly fabric softener. I've found my thing.

I tried those static cling balls and they did not work for me. And then I felt really bad for buying something made in china packaged in all that waste and not knowing then what to do with all that... so wasteful. The balls themselves though did become cat toys... but the packaging (when we bought the balls years ago) was not recyclable.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
In a pinch, I have used a small amount of hair conditioner in the laundry rinse cycle when I didn't have any real fabric softener and it worked just fine.
I have never heard of that! Maybe I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Old 09-02-2009, 07:37 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
The other day I bought some unscented fabric softener. I hadn't used fabric softeners in years because I thought they were all bad for the environment and our health, as well. But I was at the natural foods co-op and they had some earth-friendly unscented stuff, so I thought I'd check it out.

I'm really glad I did! Our clothes have been so soft and the static electricity is gone... it's been great. I'm actually using my old "Downy ball" that I've had for years and years - even though I'm not using Downy.

Anyway - today I'm trying something new... I just added a few drops of essential oil in with the fabric softener. I used 20 total drops, actually. I'm going to see if this will add a nice - natural - scent to the sheets I'm washing.

Has anyone else ever tried this? Does anyone else make DIY fabric softener? Any earth-friendly brands you'd like to recommend?

Over the years I have found various recipes for DIY fabric softener that usually call for baking soda and/or vinegar. I've tried most of them. Some of the did soften the clothes a bit, but none took away the static electricity. Works good for line-drying items though.

Let's talk fabric softener...
Now that your earth friendly, I do trust that you dried your clothes on a clothesline, right?? you did didn't you??

Old 09-02-2009, 09:38 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
I'm curious to know what the difference is between "earth friendly" and "regular" fabric softeners. I understand the non-scented thing. That's pretty simple.

I'm not being sarcastic, by I am cynical. I've seen way too many products labeled "green" and way too much produce labeled "organic", when in truth their only difference is the labeling.

So can somebody explain to me - for sure - how we know that a fabric softener is truly "green" or "earth friendly"?

Old 09-02-2009, 11:36 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post

I'm curious to know what the difference is between "earth friendly" and "regular" fabric softeners. I understand the non-scented thing. That's pretty simple.

I'm not being sarcastic, by I am cynical. I've seen way too many products labeled "green" and way too much produce labeled "organic", when in truth their only difference is the labeling.

So can somebody explain to me - for sure - how we know that a fabric softener is truly "green" or "earth friendly"?
Standard fabric softeners are petroleum-based. Earth-friendly fabric softeners are plant-based, using no petrochemicals, which makes the residue that ends up in the water, safe for marine life. Eco-friendly fabric softeners also aren't tested on animals.

Here's one example; Ecover (http://www.kokogm.com/Products/ev-17200.html - broken link).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living