Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2015, 11:59 AM

3 posts, read 2,639 times

Advertisements

Now that our children are all finishing high school we are thinking of relocating to the Greensboro area from the Spencerport, NY area. We have 3 daughters one is living in VA, 1 in FL and the youngest is looking at colleges in the south. While my husband has lived here in NY, FL and TN, I have only lived here in NY. We have owned our own Home Improvement business for 8 years and since it is a service based business a move will cause a loss of all of our clients. Looking for any advice as far as employment and trying to regrow our Home Improvement business in the Greensboro and surrounding areas. My husband has over 29 years in the H.V.A.C. industry and is refrigeration certified. He is looking into getting licensed in NC. I have an associates degree in accounting and over 15 years experience as a bookkeeper and customer service representative. Any advice or comments is welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 08:05 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,427,445 times
You might be fine. It's hard to say. Lots of people use people they've known since high school. Greensboro is that kind of place.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:11 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,386,441 times
Perhaps your husband could get a job with an hvac company, and work on rebuilding his handyman business during the evenings and weekends? I would think someone with his qualifications could get a job like that.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:16 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyAnn View Post
Looking for any advice as far employment and trying to regrow our Home Improvement
business in the Greensboro and surrounding areas.
There are a LOT of people (mostly transplants but not all by any means)...
who will prefer to work with someone who is NOT from here.

Getting that message out will take some subtlety.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:29 AM

I appreciate the responses thus far. And we are fully aware that he may need to take on a traditional job for some time and build his business on the side. Just trying to get some feedback from people in the area.
THANKS TO ALL!

Old 04-27-2015, 11:44 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,394,470 times
Sure, some people use people they went to high school with, and others might be transplants who prefer to work with a transplant. I'd argue that there are lots of people who don't fall into either camp, and who rely on AngiesList or a google search or even Facebook for recommendations. They don't care who you are or where you're from: if you have a few recommendations and a fair price, you're in.

Lots of tradesmen don't do a great job of marketing themselves. With a little effort and a little time, you'll be fine.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:53 AM

My husband will be making a trip to the area to speak with some local companies and make certain the information we have gathered is accurate as far as codes and licensing in NC in a few weeks. I think he will be staying at the La Quinta Inn in Greensboro, any thoughts on this? He will also be driving around to view the asurrounding areas as well. Any suggestions on places that are must stops to get a better feel for the area and community as well as surrounding areas?

Old 04-28-2015, 09:01 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,386,441 times
The La Quinta is off Wendover Ave., one of the main commercial corridors in the city, and just off I-40. Its a fine location...will certainly give him a feel for the type of retail that exists in G'boro. The nice areas to live are in the west and northwest parts of the city, so he might want to drive around Friendly Ave., Battleground Road, Lawndale Avenue. If you're interested in living further out, maybe drive out to Summerfield and Oak Ridge, small towns that are essentially "suburbs" of G'boro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point