Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 06:45 PM

122 posts, read 200,361 times

Advertisements

Is this the year the Demon Deacons turn the corner or is it another year of rebuilding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 08:36 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Hard to say this early in conference play, but they took out the Heels today and are now 1-0 in ACC play and 11-3 overall. So it's certainly possible.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:19 PM

Unc was a nice win and a resume builder. However, I wouldn't want to see them match up against Wichita State.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:46 PM

Huh? Wichita State who plays in the Missouri Valley Conference and hasn't played a single ranked opponent all season? Probably the least scary of the unbeatens, I'd say. I'd be more concerned with Syracuse (who they'll actually play).

But either way, I don't think Wake is a world-beating team this season. You asked if they'd make the tourney, and I think they could have a shot.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:15 PM

Wichita State could beat any of the teams ranked above them including Syracuse. Remember, this is practically the same team that made it to the Final Four last year. Cleanthony Early came back this year for one reason - to win the title, and I'm not talking about the MVC crown.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayorofsynsky View Post
Wichita State could beat any of the teams ranked above them including Syracuse. Remember, this is practically the same team that made it to the Final Four last year. Cleanthony Early came back this year for one reason - to win the title, and I'm not talking about the MVC crown.
Meh. Maybe. Their OOC schedule didn't test them much and their conference schedule should be a walk for them. In that case, we won't really know anything until March. I like Wichita State and am pulling for them. I have a soft spot for mid-majors. But yeah, it's hard to say how they would perform with a more challenging regular season schedule.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:58 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Huh? Wichita State who plays in the Missouri Valley Conference and hasn't played a single ranked opponent all season? Probably the least scary of the unbeatens, I'd say. I'd be more concerned with Syracuse (who they'll actually play).

But either way, I don't think Wake is a world-beating team this season. You asked if they'd make the tourney, and I think they could have a shot.
Totally agree...it is so irritating that teams like WSU are ranked in the top 5 with their schedule. I don't doubt that any of the ACC teams could beat them 9 out 10 times. I mean, Missouri state took them to OT.

I think it's possible for Wake to make it into the tournament, but I also think that there has been a media bias against ACC basketball for a few years now. ACC teams on the bubble hardly ever get the benefit of the doubt anymore. Hopefully Wake can win enough games to be in without question. The Va Tech win was promising.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Totally agree...it is so irritating that teams like WSU are ranked in the top 5 with their schedule. I don't doubt that any of the ACC teams could beat them 9 out 10 times. I mean, Missouri state took them to OT.

I think it's possible for Wake to make it into the tournament, but I also think that there has been a media bias against ACC basketball for a few years now. ACC teams on the bubble hardly ever get the benefit of the doubt anymore. Hopefully Wake can win enough games to be in without question. The Va Tech win was promising.
I don't know if I'd point to the Virginia Tech game as a quality win. VT has had a pretty rouch season. Nearly winless in the ACC and OOC losses to UNCG and USC-Upstate... not great. Last in the ACC at the moment, in fact.

The wins against UNC-CH, State and Notre Dame are all better news, but the Deacs have faltered a bit since I made my original post. We'll see how they do against Syracuse Wednesday, but I doubt they can pull it out. 'Cuse is a strong team this year.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:01 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I don't know if I'd point to the Virginia Tech game as a quality win. VT has had a pretty rouch season. Nearly winless in the ACC and OOC losses to UNCG and USC-Upstate... not great. Last in the ACC at the moment, in fact.

The wins against UNC-CH, State and Notre Dame are all better news, but the Deacs have faltered a bit since I made my original post. We'll see how they do against Syracuse Wednesday, but I doubt they can pull it out. 'Cuse is a strong team this year.
The first road win for Wake in 3 years? I would think any win is a quality one.

Wake played pretty well against Syracuse, but rebounding really did them in. If they had stayed near even in rebounding I think they may have won the game. They rebounded better today against Ga Tech, but couldn't make shots...also losing Miller-McIntyre at the end of the first half really hurt. But they should have been able to beat Tech without him.

Old 02-02-2014, 05:34 PM

After this weekend, it's clear that Syracuse and Wichita State are headed to a collision in the Final Four.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point