Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 06:50 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,465,766 times

Advertisements

My wife and I were headed to dinner Saturday evening when we came upon a car that had been pulled over. When we were passing the stopped vehicles, I realized that the police car was a blue Honda Civic. No official police markings, just the police lights. Actually, I didn't see the officer who was driving the vehicle, so maybe it could have been a plan clothes detective, and maybe it wasn't a routine stop? Have you noticed any officers driving unmarked cars that are not Chargers or Caprices? This is the first time I've seen a Honda Civic used for police business.

Coincidentally, about a mile up the road, there was an older model Accord that was passing everybody in no-pass zones. The road was a 45 MPH road and he was probably going about 90. Don't know if the two incidents were linked, but makes ya wonder what's going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 07:55 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,236,505 times
Most law enforcement agencies usually use domestically makes (i.e. Chevrolet, Dodge, Ford). Using import makes would be a change to go undercover.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:02 AM

398 posts, read 498,214 times
I think you mean "unmarked" car, not "undercover" car. What city was this in?

Old 04-18-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Dawg View Post
I think you mean "unmarked" car, not "undercover" car. What city was this in?
I didn't say undercover car. I said undercover police.

This was around Oak Ridge/Summerfield line.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Most law enforcement agencies usually use domestically makes (i.e. Chevrolet, Dodge, Ford). Using import makes would be a change to go undercover.
That is what I was thinking. This wasn't a routine stop, it was an undercover bust.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:15 PM

71 posts, read 95,878 times
Saw a black unmarked Nissan Pathfinder with blue lights at the scene of an accident off Benjamin Pkwy. The officer who works as a crossing guard outside the church on Westover Terrace has a white Buick with police lights as well.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:35 PM

398 posts, read 498,214 times
The police were plainclothes, not undercover.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:34 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,559,929 times
Methinks they use cars that have been seized in busts. Put some lights on them and presto. Personally I don't care for this practice; if I see a Civic behind me with police lights I'm not pulling over.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Methinks they use cars that have been seized in busts. Put some lights on them and presto. Personally I don't care for this practice; if I see a Civic behind me with police lights I'm not pulling over.
Same with me. And I told my wife if she ever sees a car that has blue police lights on and is not your standard police car you normally see in NC, don't pull over. Especially if she knows she's not committing any moving violations of any sort. I'm even cautious when it comes to unmarked Chargers, because everybody and his bother seems to have a Dodge Charger nowadays. You just don't know about people. For instance (side note), my wife and I were heading home late Saturday evening from Charlotte when this person in an SUV was tailgating us and annoying us with his brights on. He wouldn't pass us. Anyway, my wife was getting tired and wanted me to drive the rest of the way home, so we pulled into the rest stop. The dude followed us to the rest stop up to the point where we pulled over. I got out of the car (I kind of have a cop face right now since I'm clean shaven and happened to be wearing a suit and tie), and he immediately turned his SUV around and left the rest stop. Was really a weird thing. Don't know if he thought he knew us or if he was up to no good, but it's just to prove the point that it's no telling what people will do nowadays. That is why when I see something like a Honda Civic with police lights, I tend to be a little cautious.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:42 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Same with me. And I told my wife if she ever sees a car that has blue police lights on and is not your standard police car you normally see in NC, don't pull over. Especially if she knows she's not committing any moving violations of any sort. I'm even cautious when it comes to unmarked Chargers, because everybody and his bother seems to have a Dodge Charger nowadays. You just don't know about people. For instance (side note), my wife and I were heading home late Saturday evening from Charlotte when this person in an SUV was tailgating us and annoying us with his brights on. He wouldn't pass us. Anyway, my wife was getting tired and wanted me to drive the rest of the way home, so we pulled into the rest stop. The dude followed us to the rest stop up to the point where we pulled over. I got out of the car (I kind of have a cop face right now since I'm clean shaven and happened to be wearing a suit and tie), and he immediately turned his SUV around and left the rest stop. Was really a weird thing. Don't know if he thought he knew us or if he was up to no good, but it's just to prove the point that it's no telling what people will do nowadays. That is why when I see something like a Honda Civic with police lights, I tend to be a little cautious.
Occasionally law enforcement just throw lights in their vehicle. It could be a seizure as someone mentioned or perhaps a personal vehicle.

I'd periodically visit the courthouse in downtown Winston on business, and I'd see a probation officer with lights in a Nissan Maxima. It's extremely, extremely rare, tho. And you're right about not pulling over for non-domestic, unmarked cars. And the Charger theory is true, too. I wouldn't even buy a friggin' Charger these days just because it's so associated with law enforcement. But you're right that doesn't deter people, they still buy 'em like hotcakes.

I have seen Ford-150s with lights used in an arrest. Assuming that was an undercover, sting operation. But the foreign cars are a rarity. If it gets to the point where Hondas, Toyotas and Nissans are used, then I think it'd be time to move to Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Dawg View Post
The police were plainclothes, not undercover.

It's possible the officer might have been undercover and plainclothes, but the detention was unrelated to an undercover operation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point